Life Is Good, 170 style

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

Re: Life Is Good, 170 style

Post by W.J.Langholz »

I was thinking, as much as I would hate it, maybe I should send my son to work for Diane.......

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Robert Eilers wrote:He majored in Political Science, turned into a Democrate, graduated and went to work For Diane Feinstien in Washinton D.C.
In hindsight, maybe it was for the best that my daughters moved away from California when they did... :wink:
W.J.Langholz wrote:I was thinking, as much as I would hate it, maybe I should send my son to work for Diane.......
W.
I think it's too late, she's too set in her ways to change now... :lol:

Anyway, I'm one of the very lucky ones who got to see his kids grow up in the 170 Association:
July 1995 (Amanda @ age 8) after returning home to MS after Kalispell convention.
July 1995 (Amanda @ age 8) after returning home to MS after Kalispell convention.
July 1998 (ages:Amanda 11 & Rebecca 8) after returning home to CA from winning the Long Distance Domestic Award at the Lakeland, FL convention.
July 1998 (ages:Amanda 11 & Rebecca 8) after returning home to CA from winning the Long Distance Domestic Award at the Lakeland, FL convention.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Miles
You really didn't get all that stuff in that plane and get it off the ground did you 8O 8O ......and who is that guy with your kids in that first photo :lol: :lol: :lol:
What a wonderful memory that must be Miles, thanks for sharing

W.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

W.J.Langholz wrote:Miles
You really didn't get all that stuff in that plane and get it off the ground did you
And you think you need a 206 do you W. :)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

You really didn't get all that stuff in that plane and get it off the ground did you 8O 8O ......and who is that guy with your kids in that first photo :lol: :lol: :lol:
What a wonderful memory that must be Miles, thanks for sharing

W.
That "stuff" wasn't all that heavy, and I had the back seat out, so that added about 27lb to the useful load and LOTS of room. I weighed everything (and everyone) that went into the airplane. It's been almost 15 years, but as I remember, I was somewhere between 2000 and 2100 lb with full fuel ("that guy" was about 70-80 lb lighter than he is now :oops: ). Even so, I rolled about 3000 feet before breaking ground at West Yellowstone with full fuel (to make Kalispell non-stop), at 6600 ft elev, 60 deg F, and no wind. Leaving Cheyenne a few days earlier at about 6100 elevation, with half tanks, 45 deg F and 20kt wind was a non event.

If I'd had the whole family on board, a 206 would have been quite handy. :wink:
Miles

— Thomas Browne
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Miles
my wife had to look twice to find you in the first pic :wink: and by the way I wish I weighed now what I did 15 years ago too. When I stopped smoking I put on about 15 lbs and I think it's going to be hard to get rid of it :oops: When I get down about it I just look at what they are paying for cigs these days and :D More AV GAS Please.
Really cool pics Miles thanks again for sharing
How far have you gone on the 5 mil lunches?

Bruce
Now how am I suppose to get that extra barrel of oil around that you need anyway :lol: :lol: How you doing on the other stuff with the Feds?

Dave F
Nice pic too....when are you going to let your good looking daughter sit in the left seat? (thanks john E)

W.
Last edited by W.J.Langholz on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

W,

My kids will get left seat when I get competent at landing from the right side. I've been working on it, but so far only with a qualified tailwheel pilot in the left seat.

By the way, that's my 11-year old daughter, who turned out to be a very natural pilot. I gave her a 30-second demonstration of the rudder, after which she made perfectly coordinated turns.

Dave
cessna170bdriver

How far have you gone on the 5 mil lunches?
W.
I've been down with a cold for a couple of days so I'm not up to speed mentally yet, but what is a 5 mil lunch :?:

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Miles,

W meant that question for me ... my daughter gave me a gift certificate for Christmas, good for 5 million fly-out lunches. I've still got 4,999,999 left.

Dave
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Today my 14-year-old landed the airplane all by himself, meaning that I never had to touch the controls. He held 65 mph all the way down to the numbers, flared smoothly, and rolled out straight. The cool thing is that he did it all by feel because he can't see the airspeed indicator very well from the right seat. Looks like I won't be getting many landings from here on ... :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Put that kid in the left seat!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

This thread is probably the most accurate, honest thread on the entire site. When you see the smiles on our kid's faces, the time and money we put into our airplanes just doesn't matter. This is what it is all about!
Attachments
Kodie
Kodie
ko1.jpg (16.05 KiB) Viewed 12325 times
Kailey
Kailey
ka1.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 12325 times
Kailey
Kailey
ka2.jpg (21.23 KiB) Viewed 12325 times
rhymes

Post by rhymes »

"When you see the smiles on our kid's faces, the time and money we put into our airplanes just doesn't matter. This is what it is all about!"

Here, here! There's no practical justification (for me, anyhow) for the time/money an airplane demands... but the satisfaction from seeing your photos and reading your Posts more than validates our flying passion. My wife Kathy truly enjoys all of her airtime, as well. Thanks.
Bruce & Kathy Rhymes
1954 Cessna 170B
N2865C
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

gahorn wrote:Put that kid in the left seat!
You bet, George! I just need to get a little more comfortable on the right side.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

DaveF wrote:You bet, George! I just need to get a little more comfortable on the right side.
Doesn't sound like you need more time in the right seat. Sounds like you won't be touching the controls anyway. :)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com