Dog lovers

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Dog lovers

Post by GAHorn »

I've posted this once before, so I apologize if anyone is disappointed to see it again... but it's the best piece of writing I've ever read ..as far as capturing the emotions of losing a good dog.

Where to Bury a Dog, by Ben Hur Chapman

We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season, the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree or an apple or any flowering shrub of the garden is an excellent place to bury a good dog.
Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer or gnawed at a flavorous bone or lifted his head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter. For if the dog be well-remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where the dog sleeps. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pastureland, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog and all one to you, and nothing is gained and nothing is lost - if memory lives.
But there is one best place to bury a dog. If you bury him in this spot, he will come to you when you call - come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing. The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.
----
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Dog for sale!
dog and ball.jpg
A guy is driving around the back woods of Montana and he sees a sign in front of a broken down shanty-style house: 'Talking Dog For Sale ' He rings the bell and the owner appears and tells him the dog is in the backyard.

The guy goes into the backyard and sees a nice looking Labrador Retriever sitting there.

'You talk?' he asks.

'Yep,' the Lab replies.

After the guy recovers from the shock of hearing a dog talk, he says 'So, what's your story?' The Lab looks up and says, 'Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I told the CIA. In no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one figured a dog would be eavesdropping.'
'I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years running.. But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at the airport to do some undercover security, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded a batch of medals.' 'I got married, had a mess of puppies, and now I'm just retired.'

The guy is amazed. He goes back in and asks the owner what he wants for the dog.

'Ten dollars,' the guy says.

'Ten dollars? This dog is amazing! Why on earth are you selling him so cheap?'

'Because he's a liar. He never did any of that stuff.

Dog smiling.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Last Saturday Becky and I put down our lab of 16 years - Sage was her name.

After we got home from the vet, I dropped Becky at my mother's and left to take Sage to our family farm and place her to rest on a hill in the middle of a section where we bird hunt. I loaded her in the John Deere Gator and drove towards the middle of the section. About 100 yards from the spot I got the Gator stuck - I mean real stuck. All 4 wheels mired in the mud and water. Having shovels (it was a funeral after all) I spent an hour digging out all 4 tires. Still stuck. So I got the wild a__ idea that I'd put the Gator in reverse and jam the shovel between the seat and the footfeet. So now I've got all 4 wheels spinning wildly in reverse, slinging mud and me up front pushing on the bumper. I gain a few inches, then a foot or so, then a few yards and finally onto more solid grass. Well, you know how slow I am compared to a Gator running flat our? Finally managed to catch it and knock the shovel off the footfeet. All this time Sage is laid peacefully out in the box.

I finally got the grave dug and placed her there with some shotgun shells and pheasant feathers.

I had to smile and think that it was only one more wonderful memory of time spent with a dog. It did bring a smile to an otherwise sad face too for Becky when I got home.

Dang, those dog years go by way too fast.......
Attachments
Sage
Sage
Sage.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 13243 times
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Sorry to hear this Kyle.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I can feel her sweetness just looking into those eyes.... Good photo. Keep her in your heart.
Sorry for your loss.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here's my buddy Mark Leather's guard-dog..."Killer"...

Mark says he isn't a particularly good guard-dog, however.... his place was broken into last week and the theives stole everything of value and "Killer"

didn't seem to upset about it...
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
vv
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
vv
v
V
V
V
V
V
V

V
V
V
V

V
gaurd dog.jpg
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Now that's just WRONG! :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

A Veterinarian was feeling ill and went to see her doctor. The doctor asked her all the usual questions, about symptoms, how long had they been occurring, etc., when she interrupted him: "Hey look, I'm a vet. I don't need to ask my patients these kind of questions: I can tell what's wrong just by looking." She added, "So why can't you?"
The doctor nodded, stood back, looked her up and down, quickly wrote out a prescription, handed it to her and said, "There you are. Of course, if that doesn't work, we'll have to have you put to sleep."
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Well, a couple of months ago, Macky was hit and killed by a neighbor. I wasn't over loosing Sigma, a Shepard/Coley cross. that I loved beyond all dogs. Macky came in second. I didn't want another dog, Yet everyone in the house hold wanted another dog.....So Here is Rory......
The tag on this pic was...poop factory, I forgot it seams more goes out than goes in..
The tag on this pic was...poop factory, I forgot it seams more goes out than goes in..
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

A buddy sent this to me of his Alsatian, "Sniper".

Guard dog:
Sniper2.jpg
Sniper2.jpg (17.86 KiB) Viewed 13012 times
"Bench-Rest":
Sniper.jpg
Sniper.jpg (16.1 KiB) Viewed 13012 times
In-position:
CoveredSniper.jpg
CoveredSniper.jpg (18.16 KiB) Viewed 13012 times
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

How many Bud lites does it take to get like this? :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BluUZ4NnZg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb