Dog lovers

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

Dog lovers

Post by W.J.Langholz »

All

We have shared alot of dog pictures and dog stories on this forum, when I ran across this vedio even though it's has a bit of religion in it, I thought it would be appropiate to share.

http://pets.webshots.com/video/30603891 ... vhost=pets

I think you will enjoy it.
Have a good Sunday afternoon

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
ronjenx

Re: Dog lovers

Post by ronjenx »

Very nice! Thanks.
n1410d

Post by n1410d »

Very well done. Makes me thankful for my dog.

Patrick Mahaffey
170A N1410D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've been out of town on a trip these last few days and so did not view the video until I returned home. It's pleasing to know that I'm not the only person who has noticed this special relationship we have, existing between God and Dogs. Thanks for sharing.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I especially enjoyed the artist's dialog regarding her song about God and doG:

"I look up and I see GoD"
The one thing that bugged me about this line is that I don't really think of God as being "up" in a directional sense. He's everywhere and even inside people who invite Him to be there. But he's a higher being, so in that way, when you look up in your heart, when you think about better things, you ultimately conclude God...at least I do.

"I look down and see my dog."
I hope that the first two lines of the song convey that people are in the middle, between two kinds of sincere devotion.

"Simple spelling G O D, Same word backwards, D O G."
In the English language, this is an amusing reality. It doesn't hold true for other languages, but is simply one of those linguistic coincidences that poets capitalize on. It just happens that the inverted spelling of these two words fits my song beautifully. I don't believe there is any cosmic signifigance in this, but when I meet God in person someday perhaps I will be corrected.

"They would stay with me all day."
The main reason I wrote God and Dog is that much of organized religion has portrayed God as someone he is not. I believe he has a love for all people, that he knows us deeply and yearns for a relationship with every one of us.

"I'm the one who walks away."
Everytime I leave my dog to go do something "important", he gives me a look that says, "I wish I could be with you". Many people believe they have failed God and that God has left them. That's because we don't realize how BIG God's forgiveness is. How silly to think that the cummulative mistakes of any person could outweigh the forgiveness of the God of the universe.

"But both of them just wait for me and dance at my return with glee."
My dog has a party when I return even if I have been gone only 10 minutes. The prodigal son left home and squandered everything his father had given him. The father didn't follow his son and hurl judgements and insults. He just waited. When his son returned, the dad didn't say a thing about what his son had done. He was so thrilled to have him back that he threw a big party.

"Both love me no matter what, divine God and canine mutt. "
We know how forgiving our dogs are. Their relationship to us is not based on a scorecard. Well many people think that God loves you based on how good you are. If this were true then it would be impossible to have an authentic friendship with him. We would all either be intolerably proud, or we'd be disfuctionally humiliated. This is why dead religion is often made of of intolerably proud people telling disfunctionally humiliated people what to do.

"I take it hard each time I fail but God forgives, Dog wags his tail".
What Jesus did was supposed to be a gift, not a guilt trip. If you don't believe that God's forgiveness is a huge aspect of who he is, you won't be able to forgive yourself... or anybody else either. God "remembers our sins no more".

"God thought up and made the dog, dog reflects a part of God".
I don't think of dogs as gods. I don't think that every dog is a total picture of God. I am not into fundamental creationism but I don't think that darwinism (or most anything that ends with "ism") is the complete answer. I think God created the universe and the creatures on earth. The order of creation in Genesis loosely reflects what science is telling us. This is utterly fascinating to me. My favorite things to read are the Bible, and books on particle physics, astrophysics, biochemistry, etc. People can shout about creationism versus science all they want... I wasn't there at the beginning of the world, so I don't know. But however the details were done, I think God expressed himself in the things we see around us.

"I've seen love from both sides now, it's everywhere, amen, bow wow."
When I treat my animals with respect, I gain a relational trust that is one of the most rewarding things in life. I think God encoded his entire creation with this truth - that when you love another being and give it room to be itself, you lift it's head, you draw it out, and you earn it's love. When you force and control an animal, something deep inside it retreats and you miss out. Do that enough and your life becomes silent, lonely, and cold. It's the same with our relationships to each other. When people control people, something deep in the spirit retreats and goes cold, physical health begins to decline, things unravel.

Some people think that God is a manipulator and a controller. To me it looks like God created this universe to flourish in the presence of love and freedom. True love is a result of the gift of freedom, it cannot be forced. God has shown in his creation, that love brings health and life. He is the originator of these things and these things reflect who He is. In my life I have seen miracles like crippled bones straightening out before my eyes after prayer... but that is not why I believe in God. I believe there is a God because I see the results of love and freedom, versus the results of control and manipulation on people and animals. I have become convinced He is there because this song plays over and over all throughout creation.

"I look up and I see God, I look down and see my dog
And in my human frailty, I can't match their love for me."

This is the humbling part. GoD and DoG love me unwaveringly and I can't match it. But I am learning...

Other thoughts...
I had been told by some that is isn't right to compare God to a dog. But Jesus said that he wanted to gather people like a hen gathers her chicks. I have a hen with chicks at the moment and she is so gentle and dedicated. It is a beautiful analogy. So I figure it's ok to point to the enthusiastic devotion of a dog and comment that God is at least that enthusiastic about us... and much more. Dogs are tangible and Jesus used comparasins to many tangible things to try and illustrate what God was like.

I had someone say my song was blasphemy. Oh well. Ya can't please everybody. I think people who have really loved a dog or any animal will understand the song and those who have not simply need to walk a few more miles.

http://www.godanddog.org/
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I like the bumper sticker: "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am." Says it all.

http://www.carryabigsticker.com/lord_help_dog.htm
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Hey Guy's, here is an organization that is devoted to helping animals in need. I have joined it but haven't been able to take any of the flights yet but do intend to. I understand that people with restored airplanes may not want to carry a large animal but for those of us with rat planes I think it is a worth wild opportunity.

http://www.animalrescueflights.org/index.html This is the site I am having issues with posting a link sorry
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Bill Hart wrote:Hey Guy's, here is an organization that is devoted to helping animals in need. I have joined it but haven't been able to take any of the flights yet but do intend to. I understand that people with restored airplanes may not want to carry a large animal but for those of us with rat planes I think it is a worth wild opportunity.

http://www.animalrescueflights.org/index.html This is the site I am having issues with posting a link sorry
Bill a friend of mine joined one of these organizations. Not sure if it is the same one or not. Over the years it seems he's been flying less and less as his wife who does not share his love of flying has found more and more reasons he can't be at the airport.

She was the one who saw this on TV and thought he should join. So far he has taken several flights worth probably 10 or more hours all blessed by the wife. He's in flying heaven.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've flown a few pigs. Especially during my pipeline-patrol-time-building early days. :roll:
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

G, Did they give you a ruttin kiss? :P :lol: I'll bet that was fun.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

n3833v wrote:G, Did they give you a ruttin kiss? :P :lol: I'll bet that was fun.

John
click to ENLARGE
click to ENLARGE
pojawis

Post by pojawis »

Another organization can be found at http://www.pilotsnpaws.org. Joined them awhile back but haven't flown a mission. Hope to do so soon.

Some of my favorite quotes from Mr. Hill:

I can't imagine living in a house without a couple of dogs. If I ever got out of bed at night and didn't have to step over a Labrador or two or three, or move one off the covers so I could turn over, my nights would be more restless and the demons that wait in the dark for me would be less easily fended.

I can't think of anything that brings me closer to tears than when my old dog — completely exhausted after a hard day in the field — limps away from her nice spot in front of the fire and comes over to where I'm sitting and puts her head in my lap, a paw over my knee, and closes her eyes, and goes back to sleep. I don't know what I've done to deserve that kind of friend.
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

I've thought, for a long time, that there is a special relationship between man and dog, and I know there is a special relationship between man and God. I really like this - thanks for sharing. I'm going to put a link to it on our church web site, of which I am the (very amateur) webmaster.
http://www.gbgm-umc.org/howell/
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

pojawis wrote:Another organization can be found at http://www.pilotsnpaws.org. Joined them awhile back but haven't flown a mission. Hope to do so soon.

Some of my favorite quotes from Mr. Hill:

I can't imagine living in a house without a couple of dogs. If I ever got out of bed at night and didn't have to step over a Labrador or two or three, or move one off the covers so I could turn over, my nights would be more restless and the demons that wait in the dark for me would be less easily fended.

I can't think of anything that brings me closer to tears than when my old dog — completely exhausted after a hard day in the field — limps away from her nice spot in front of the fire and comes over to where I'm sitting and puts her head in my lap, a paw over my knee, and closes her eyes, and goes back to sleep. I don't know what I've done to deserve that kind of friend.
If I'm not mistaking, Doesn't Mr Hill wright for Field and stream and /or Sports Afield also? Publications I haven't received in many years....and miss....But after reading your post I rolled my chair over to where Macky was sleeping.....gave her a rub on the belly.....and the first thing she did was lift her head and give me a kiss on the cheek.....What do we do to deserve that kind of unconditional love?.....Brad
pojawis

Post by pojawis »

Gene Atkins Hill was published in Guns & Ammo and Sports Afield as a freelance writer. He became a permanent fixture as a columnist for Field & Stream sometime in the 70's. His column was called "Hill Country". There's a dozen or more books of his out there. He died of cancer in 1997.