Control Surface Reskinning

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mike roe

Control Surface Reskinning

Post by mike roe »

Strongly considering sending some surfaces to Schomps in Alabama for reskin.Anyone have any work done with him.The prices seem right.
Thanks
GAHorn

Re: Control Surface Reskinning

Post by GAHorn »

Don't know the shop. I visited Del Lehmann (Mountain Airframe, Mena AR) and I learned something from him..... by not "bucking" trailing edge rivets.... but "squeezing" them instead.... it's much easier to obtain a straight trailing edge on these corrugated skins. Additionally, he has a technique for waiting until the ailerons are ON the airframe before finishing the outer ends of ailerons, to better match them to the wingtips. (But if you're shipping them out for rebuild that clearly isn't possible unless you complete squeezing the last 24" of trailing edge rivets when you get them back.)

I've seen some of his control surface re-skinning results and they are very well done.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

Good points.I will mention it to Stephen and get his thoughts.Someone on here mentioned Schomps when this came up before.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

McFarlane offers some good advice on installing corrugated skins here.
Gary
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Buckeye Airmotive in Caldwell ID can do them as well. Steve does great work. 208-six three one-9358
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032