First woman to solo around the world

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

First woman to solo around the world

Post by n2582d »

On page 8 of the most recent 170 News, Bill Wehner wrote about Jan Wood donating her plane to the Pearson Air Museum in Ventura. Apparently she soloed it around the world in 1956-57. Anyone have more details on that long cross-country? Surely it must have been written up in aviation magazines back then.

Shortly after reading that I perused my March 2008 issue of AOPA. On page 34 is a picture of Geraldine (Jerrie) Mock who it says, "is the first woman pilot to fly solo around the world" on April 17, 1964.
Gary
flyguy

Re: First woman to solo around the world

Post by flyguy »

There might be some lack of info but the 99s are usually pretty accurate about the achievements of women in aviation. I couldn't find out much about Jan Wood or the donation of her 170 to the Museum. This article (link) parallels what the AOPA article states.

http://www.ninety-nines.org/wia.html

WOMEN IN AVIATION
By Kelli Gant

Geraldine Mock became the first women to fly around the world in 1964 in a single-engine Cessna 180 called the Spirit of Columbus. That flight stirred up more interest in air races. The new All Women’s International Air Race soon became known as the “Angel Derby” and the All-Woman Transcontinental Air Race was popularly called the "Powder Puff Derby.”
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

Jerri Mock was at two of the Cessna 180 Conventions that we attended. A very interesting woman to talk to. Odd thing, after she made the solo around the world flight, she quit flying forever. She stated that she was going to write a new edition of her book and include a lot of facts that she could not include in the first edition because of the Cold War. As far as I know, she has not yet written her second edition.

Harold
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I saw Jerri Mock's C 180 hanging from ceiling of the Smithsonian Air & Space muesum in 1983.

Remember thinking , "This could be done in a C 170."

Years later I met two ladies at OshGosh who were displaying their Piper TriPacer that they had flown around the world.

Unique individuals with a lot of stamina.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
N2540V

Post by N2540V »

n2582d wrote:Anyone have more details on that long cross-country? Surely it must have been written up in aviation magazines back then.
I have a hard back book Three-Eight Charlie by Jerrie Mock. Copyright 1970, first edition.

YIKES
I just checked with Amazon.com...... Lowest price used is $225 with a high of $825
This is going back on the shelf...
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Does anyone at all have any information on this ladys trip around the world in a C-170? I can't seem to find anything at all on it.
I've always believed that Jerrie Mock, a petite and completely charming young woman, was the first woman to fly solo around the world. I surely would like to know more about the reported earlier flight in the C-170B by Jan Wood. This is truly the first time I ever heard of this accomplishment.
Last edited by blueldr on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BL
N2540V

Post by N2540V »

blueldr wrote:Does anyone at all have any information on this ladys trip around the world in a C-170? I can't seem to find anything at all on it.
http://www.three-eightcharlie.com/
KG

Post by KG »

I found this website for the Pearson Air Museum of Vancouver, WA. In a column labeled "Aircraft currently on display", it says they have a "1953 Cessna 170 (flew around the world in 1956-1957)".

http://www.pearsonairmuseum.org/attractions.html

I just sent a short email to their curator, Bill Alley, and asked for more information on this airplane. I also invited him to join our forum discussion. I'll keep you posted if he responds. Keith
53 170B
N8527W

Post by N8527W »

Hey, if you guys are interested in Jerrie Mock, there is a very interesting Youtube video about her at the link shown below. If you find this story quite amazing, go ahead and forward the following URL to your friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxOJ1NXCVdk
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I finally received an answer to my original question. I was hoping that a C-170 beat a C-180 to be first around the world but alas that is not the case. The following is from Carolyn Smith, a trustee at the 99s Museum of Women.

"'First' is a nebulous term. Jan Wood did indeed fly her Cessna 170B around the world. BUT, in Singapore, she had the airplane crated and shipped via a Japanese freighter to Long Beach, CA. Thus, technically, she didn't "fly" all the way.
Geraldine Mock holds the record because she actually flew the aircraft all the way around the world, with no ground or water transport of the airplane."
Gary
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Gary,

Thanks for the update on the "Around the world" C-170 flight. Admittedly, the lady who made it to Singapore had more guts than I.

I've tried to find a copy of Jerrie Mocks book to read, but none of the libraries I've tried seems to have a copy. Those copies I've seen for sale have all been priced beyond my means.

If anyone has or knows of a copy that might be rented for a short period in order to read it, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
BL
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

BL,
There's a copy at the Kern County library. http://hip2.sjvls.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?s ... ex=PAUTHOR

If your library can't get it from them I can request it and mail it to you. Another place that might have it is a great little aviation-oriented bookstore in Oakland. http://danwebbbooks.com/
Gary
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

BTW
Nice article about Jerry Mock in the latest issue of EAA Sport Aviation magazine. The March 2014 article is written by Lane Wallace.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Therewas a comment above about Jerrie Mock giving up flying right after her around the world record. I believe this is in error, since I'm quite sure that she later set some other records across the Pacific Ocean, flying what I think was a C-206.
It has always dissappointed me that Jerrie Mock received comparitively little recognition in almost all aviation publications and organizations.
For example: in relation to the lady who tried it in an airliner, wrecked it once in Hawaii, was aided by a paid a professional navigator, got lost en route, cost the taxpayers a fortune searching for her, and was never found.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:Therewas a comment above about Jerrie Mock giving up flying right after her around the world record. I believe this is in error, since I'm quite sure that she later set some other records across the Pacific Ocean, flying what I think was a C-206.
It has always dissappointed me that Jerrie Mock received comparitively little recognition in almost all aviation publications and organizations.
For example: in relation to the lady who tried it in an airliner, wrecked it once in Hawaii, was aided by a paid a professional navigator, got lost en route, cost the taxpayers a fortune searching for her, and was never found.
You forgot to mention "and married to a rich, New York newspaper owner/editor/promoter".

(PS-Thx for the $1. I think I know what that was about.... and it WAS pretty good, heh?)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)