N2765D Now in South Africa and Registered as ZS-PVR

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

The Farmer

N2765D Now in South Africa and Registered as ZS-PVR

Post by The Farmer »

Hello all!
My name is Reid Wardle and I farm Wool and Beef in Stutterheim, South Africa.
About a year ago, I started looking for a good aircraft that could fit into my ZAR (Rand) budget and be used on the farm as an inspection vehicle and an aid to curb stock theft.
Being quite fond of older aircraft, and with a pal who has a 170A, I looked on Barnstormers and got in touch with Brian and KC Holm, who were selling their 52 170B N2765D.
To cut a long story very short, I am going to fly her for the first time (weather permitting) tomorrow.
I am the most excited littlekid in the world, and I have grown to love her too much while she stood there waiting for the Airworthiness Certificate. (Our Civil Aviation Authority is amazingly difficult).
She is now registered as ZS-PVR (Preferred Vehicle for Reid)
Sleep When You're Dead!
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Reid, Welcome aboard.

How, do tell, did the object of your affection make the trip from the U.S. to South Africa? That should be a good storie!

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
The Farmer

Post by The Farmer »

Brian and KC kindly dismantled her for me in Seattle and trailered her to a company that does the packing down at the docks (SeaPac) and Uti did the freight for me around The Back (China) and she hit our shores about 2months later. What a learning curve!!!!
It must be said though that all my dealings with you people in the States have been a wonderful experience. especially the Holm's and Yi Wang from UTI (who has since visited me on the farm with her husband).
The only surprises I have recieved have been on this side, and have helped to make me a poor chap who is only just able get into the air now. (CAA demands).
The whole process has taken just less that a year and a lot more money than I budgeted for.
But the fun begins today!!!
What about joining the 170 Association from this far?
Sleep When You're Dead!
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Reid-
By all means, join the club and welcome aboard!!! It's a great group of folks.

You'll definitely get the "Farthest Distance Travelled" award at all the flyins you attend.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

The Farmer wrote:What about joining the 170 Association from this far?
Come on an join! According to our directory, you'll be the fourth in South Africa. Definitely some networkng possibilties there.

Miles
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I would love to hear about flying a C170 in Africa, and see any pictures you might be able to put up. Congratulations.

I to have a 1952 B, I also spent the better part of a month in Zimbabwe about nine years ago, it was amazing. Some day I would like to visit your country as well.
The Farmer

Post by The Farmer »

Hullo!
Just got back from flying her for the first time!! SCHWEEEEET!
How are those FLAPS!!!!!!!!! She doesn't forgive much on the landing!

I know Karl Jennsen who is a member. He is well respected all over the country as one of the most knowledgeable people in our aviation world.

As far as flying in South Africa is concerned, it is wonderful! There is so much airspace available to us. Lots of Game Reserves and a prestine coastline.
We do a lot of trips away and now we are 2 170's in the immediate area, so there will be a lot more of going camping together and so-on.

C'mon! I invite you people to look us up and get a taste of South African hospitality.

Pictures? Yes I have a heap, but have not learned how to post them yet.
Will look into it.
Sleep When You're Dead!
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

How about a couple for next year's (2009) C170 calendar?!
Doug
The Farmer

Re: N2765D Now in South Africa and Registered as ZS-PVR

Post by The Farmer »

Well hello all, from South Africa!

It is with great sadness that I have to notify you all that I sold the 170 to a guy from Cape Town.
Our CAA wouldn't let me transfer her into the Uncertified Category, and I unfortunately found her too expensive to maintain.

In the years that I owned her, I flew her for nearly 550 hours and had tremendous fun!

She has since been resold to a training organisation in the North Eastern parts of South Africa.

Some pictures of a couple of trips and some links to an environmental group who I volunteered to fly for.
I still do a couple of flights for them in my replacement (Kitfox 5), but I do miss the extra space....

PM Me if you are interested in any of the stuff and I will discuss it with you personally. If you would like high res pics for the 170 calendar for 2017, please contact me too.

Kind regards
Reid
GAHorn

Re: N2765D Now in South Africa and Registered as ZS-PVR

Post by GAHorn »

Well, Reid, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Here in the U.S. we sometimes forget that our regulations are relatively easy when compared to many foreign authorities. This can make any certificated design expensive, especially true with older designs.
What type flying are you doing with the Kitfox?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)