L-19 wing same as 170B ??

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

trake

Post by trake »

My old C170A had an L-19 rudder on it I think. The rudder had 2 nav light holders on the trailing edge.
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Bruce,

I cannot understand how it would be possible to interchange L-19 and C-170B flaps. With two totally different mounting and operating systems I can't see how that is possible. By operating systems, I mean "tracks" or "hinges".
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

BL

The tracks and hinges and any controls for the L-19 style flaps are removed from the wings. B model flap tracks and hinges and controls are installed. I'm sure this is not a bolt in. There are probably a few rivets involved as well.

Not having an L-19 wing next to mine to dissect I can't tell you all that's involved only my observations of L-19s in the field. I've also talked to an L-19 restorer and TIC170A member and he didn't have a problem with the fact that it could be done.

This is what I know. My 170 has B model flaps, tracks and controls. The wings have hard points for rocket pods both fore and aft. There is a patch over the hole where the rocket pod molex connector was. The left wing leading edge has the extra vent hole and the landing light has what I believe to be a military version of the landing light fixture.

Know it is possible that an L-19 wing skin and landing light was installed on a B model wing. But who and for what purpose would someone install the hard points and molex connectors in a B model wing?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Bruce,

I'm sure that you are correct in that the wing could be modified to accept C-170 flaps, but wouldn't that require some engineering data and an extensive 337 for FAA approval?
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

You would think!

But then Cessna already did that sort of. :)

dlords

STC

Post by dlords »

anyone interested I know the gentleman who owns the rights to the STC to convert to L-19 wings. I have them on my airplane. He was interested last time i talked to him about selling the rights to the STC I still have his e-mail address and name
Bruce Fenstermacher

I'd be interested in seeing a copy of his STC. Do you have one?

Do you know how much he sells the STC paper work for?

907Pilot

Re: L-19 wing same as 170B ??

Post by 907Pilot »

Did this STC ever surface?