Brake cylinder oil loss

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Brake cylinder oil loss

Post by ghostflyer »

I may have posted this before but it’s important as many people may have miss it. Just had a irate Cessna 172R owner pull up out the front of the hangar/workshop complaining loss of brake pressure on the left pedal. He had it down at another shop 3 rows down from us and it was the second time this had occurred in a short space of time . The cylinder was refilled and there wasn’t any air in the system at this stage and braking appeared normal . Plastic refill plug refitted and brake applied . Brake appeared to work fine but when it was released oil erupted from the shalf area and top of brake cylinder . Had a look at the plastic plug and vent hole was blocked by old solidified oil . Vented cleared and brake operation checked all good. Area cleaned . Total time was about 10 mins . Customer very happy when I told him no charge . I have a new customer now.
Last edited by ghostflyer on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdb

Re: Brake cylinder oil lose.

Post by pdb »

Maybe you should consider relocating to Anchorage. Good mechanics are scarce! No need to risk skin cancer in your golden years. It’s safer here and there should be lots more new customers for you here!
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
ghostflyer

Re: Brake cylinder oil lose.

Post by ghostflyer »

I have been playing around in aviation since 1965 when I first tipped over a aircraft on its nose on my first landing [ I was only 15 yrs] now I have retired but still wander down to the workshop just to get the smell of AV gas in the morning. It’s been one hellva ride. With this virus the airport is dead quite and when we hear a engine everybody will look to see who it is.