Author with Another Question

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

shannonb

Author with Another Question

Post by shannonb »

Thank you for helping me before. How do you get in and out of the back seat of a 170? I assume the front seat folds forward and then slides forward, but that's a big assumption. Thank you again.
brian.olson

Re: Author with Another Question

Post by brian.olson »

Here's a photo of my 170 showing the pilot's door and the back seat. It's actually pretty easy to get into the back seat. The front seat will slide forward and the seat back will also pivot forward, too, if needed. The relatively big doors allow you to step up into the plane and quite easily slide into the back seat. I'm 6'1" and I can comfortably fit into the back seat - head room is tight but plenty of legroom.

Additional bit of info, in case you want to access the baggage compartment (behind the back seat). The back seat is essentially two pieces hinged in the middle such that the back folds down on top of the seat itself. There is a latch you can see sticking up in the top middle of the back seat that you pull up, and it pulls up on one latch on either side where the back connects to the aircraft side panel. Once unlatched you can fold the seat down. Depending on how much stuffing in the seat you can fold it down part way (or less) ... but enough that you can stuff bags into the baggage compartment. I have been able to carefully lower myself into the back as well to fix some of the upholstery, but it's a tight fit and not particularly fun.
IMG_1428 1.JPG
IMG_1443 1.JPG
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Owners Manual specifically recommends boarding the FRONT seats FIRST, then boarding the rear seat. It does work much better that way as once the front seat occupants adjust their seats to reach the flight controls, there is plenty of room for the rear to board. Rear pax can reach the forward assist-straps to help themselves in or out while using the cabin boarding steps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
pdb

Post by pdb »

George is correct but no bush plane is going to have such a nice back seat, they are too heavy and restrict you from carrying the sort of cargo carried in the Bush.

This shows a Cessna 180 but many 170s will look nearly identical. The original Cessna bench seat has been removed and two lighter, folding Atlee Dodge seats have been installed. In this photo they are shown folded up so they are out of the way so bulky cargo can be fitted in. Tents, dogs, snow shoes, fuel cans, food, outboards, etc, etc, etc.
78B888A1-9707-4A6E-9639-0D47D2179860.jpeg
Genuine Alaskan Airedale sitting in the back of my 170 next to a Atlee Dodge folding seat.
8F9F6057-AA85-4A49-8725-1DCCB6CD4E7A.jpeg
Typical bush load with back seat removed. (It has not yet been secured for flt.)
Attachments
1E43CD65-581A-4DBA-9EA2-488E64B3E407.jpeg
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

BTW front seat first then slide it forward for access to the back seat is the same loading method for all Cessna 4 seat models, not just the 170.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Pete,
Is that outboard motor older then your 170?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
pdb

Post by pdb »

John,

That outboard is a British Seagull. It stems from a pre WWII design that didn’t really change much over the years. Mine was made in 1977. This one is very similar to mine except that I use mine and it shows. It’s got an exposed flywheel on the top with a rope starter.
7B36581D-4EC0-4474-87B9-13E677F93608.jpeg
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Pete,
Interesting, it does look like an update of a very old design (plastic gas tank?). Does it have reverse (perhaps by changing the spark timing)?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:BTW front seat first then slide it forward for access to the back seat is the same loading method for all Cessna 4 seat models, not just the 170.
Same. Load front seat first because the in-flight position is mostly forward. With the seat rolled forward there's plenty of room for the back-seater to board. If the back-seater is new to flying, I'll board last so I can help them with seat belts, headsets, etc. while standing outside.
shannonb

Post by shannonb »

Thank you! In my book, it's a large dog that's the backseat passenger. :) You've been very helpful.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

shannonb wrote:Thank you! In my book, it's a large dog that's the backseat passenger. :) You've been very helpful.
If it’s a Labrador-Retriever, make certain the dog uses his “Lab-Belt”. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)