Exhaust Gaskets

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Exhaust Gaskets

Post by 170C »

I'm looking for some exhaust gaskets for my O-300. I know I want Blo-Proof type, but am unsure what brand would be best. On the net I see three brands. Airborne Blo-Proof @ $2.97 ea; Superior (doesn't show to be blo-proof) @ $6.36 ea and Blo-Proof brand at $10.50 ea. Seeking recommendations.
Also looking for the part number for the gasket that goes between the airbox and the carburetor.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
n2582d

Re: Exhaust Gaskets

Post by n2582d »

170C wrote:... Also looking for the part number for the gasket that goes between the airbox and the carburetor.
Discussed here.
Gary
edbooth

Re: Exhaust Gaskets

Post by edbooth »

170C wrote:I'm looking for some exhaust gaskets for my O-300. I know I want Blo-Proof type, but am unsure what brand would be best. On the net I see three brands. Airborne Blo-Proof @ $2.97 ea; Superior (doesn't show to be blo-proof) @ $6.36 ea and Blo-Proof brand at $10.50 ea. Seeking recommendations.
Also looking for the part number for the gasket that goes between the airbox and the carburetor.
Frank, most of the spiral wound gaskets are advertised as blow proof or no-blo. The old copper gaskets, not so good. Even the spiral wound ones will leak after a while if the mounting surface on the cylinder or the flange on the exhaust riser is not perfectly flat. Make sure when replacing the gaskets to check these mounting surfaces with a straight edge. The riser flanges get bent by over tightening the thin flange and the cylinder exhaust port can get eroded from a leak over a period of time. I have used most of the spiral wound gaskets over the years and never had one actually blow out, it was always because of the things mentioned above. At one point had to replace all of the risers because of the flanges thinning....my two cents worth.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver