Aviation Weather Forecasts

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Aviation Weather Forecasts

Post by 170C »

I am looking for suggestions of online weather (aviation) forecasts that will provide up to 7 days outlook. I need to be able to see what is expected over several days for flight planning.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
KG

Re: Aviation Weather Forecasts

Post by KG »

HI Frank,

I use http://www.intellicast.com/ It's not specific to aviation but it seems to be pretty accurate.
53 170B
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Aviation weather forecasts only go out 3 or 4 days. I usually look at the winds forecasts and progs on aviationweather.gov. There's a ton of useful stuff on that site. But for longer term forecasts I look at wunderground.com. It's annoyingly slow because of all the ads, but it has a nice 10-day feature.
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I use usairnet.com for my local and others. Gives a lot of info.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here is one of the most FUN weather websites... experiment with all the features and I'll bet it becomes one of YOUR favorites also!

https://www.windy.com/?32.779,-96.822,5,m:eqTad8B
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks for the suggestions. Yea, John, I have used usairmet for years. I like it although some states, TN being one, don't give enough cities and while they do give lots of info, it doesn't go out as far as I would like. 2-3 days is pretty good, but thats as far as it goes. Guess I'm wishing for too much :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Frank,...did you visit the website I suggested above yet? It gives wx outlook for up to 9 days.

Hover over a dot/circle and the current wx is presented. Click on the golf-flag and drag it to your location and get the forecast for the next week. Lots of features to explore.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

That's a great site, George! My preflights just got about half an hour longer!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DaveF wrote:That's a great site, George! My preflights just got about half an hour longer!
:lol: Yeah... if you spend any time at all exploring all the features of that site... it's an amazing resource!
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

HIJACCK!! HIJACK! Not exactly weather related but the meteor that came into the atmosphere north of Detroit MI last night, Jan16, was very close to Miles and Karen Bowen. It wasn't made clear whether particles actually impacted the terrain or whether the disintegration of the meteor cause an explosion that brought about a 2.1 seismic event. Video can be seen here.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/17/1690 ... -meteorite

I wonder if Miles heard or felt the tremor.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

flyguy wrote:HIJACCK!! HIJACK! Not exactly weather related but the meteor that came into the atmosphere north of Detroit MI last night, Jan16, was very close to Miles and Karen Bowen. It wasn't made clear whether particles actually impacted the terrain or whether the disintegration of the meteor cause an explosion that brought about a 2.1 seismic event. Video can be seen here.

Maybe MIles hit his thumb with a hammer and released an (expletive-deleted) ...and the gods sent him a warning-shot? :lol:

I mentioned in another post about a time around 1979 that I was flying IAH-CLL and the entire cockpit was illuminated by one similarly, which expoded over CLL. Texas A&M University sent the geology dept out to investigate the next day as it was believed to have dropped portions just west of Easterwood Airport.
170C

Post by 170C »

George, I have looked at the Windy site and as yet haven't become confident with it, but will be learning more about it soon. Couldn't make the flight to east TX, had to 4 wheel it as we could have gotten there ok, but on the following Sunday we could only have gotten as far as Little Rock coming back home and likely would have been stranded there for several days. :(
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

flyguy wrote:HIJACCK!! HIJACK! Not exactly weather related but the meteor that came into the atmosphere north of Detroit MI last night, Jan16, was very close to Miles and Karen Bowen. It wasn't made clear whether particles actually impacted the terrain or whether the disintegration of the meteor cause an explosion that brought about a 2.1 seismic event. Video can be seen here.

We did see the flash and hear the rumble. Our first suspicion was a thunderstorm, so my first reaction was to open up Foreflight. There was no precipitation in the area, and the temp was in in the teens or less,, so that wasn’t it. My next thought was a transformer explosion, but the flash and report were about 30 seeconds apart (my wild-@$$ guess), so seeing a transformer flash from 6 miles away wasn’t likely either. It wasn’t until Karen checked the news a couple of hours later that we found out what it was. I was able to find some very impressive dash cam footage.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I thought NASA or some USAF facility under some mountain in Colorado somewhere was supposed to be monitoring asterioids and big space rocks to warn us beforehand...??? and they have some cockamamie idea of blasting it with a nuclear-rocket...??

Maybe good-buddies Ol'Gar and Dennis Rodman's friend over in No. Korea could run a rocket up there and protect us all and be useful for a change..??
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:I thought NASA or some USAF facility under some mountain in Colorado somewhere was supposed to be monitoring asterioids and big space rocks to warn us beforehand...??? and they have some cockamamie idea of blasting it with a nuclear-rocket...??

Maybe good-buddies Ol'Gar and Dennis Rodman's friend over in No. Korea could run a rocket up there and protect us all and be useful for a change..??
I don’t think anyone in their right mind considers the nuke a viable optiion. One source said this one was about the size of a basketball, so there was no need to do anything about it even if we could have.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne