My "new" airport runabout

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KG

My "new" airport runabout

Post by KG »

Ain't she pretty?

I just bought a Columbia Par Car for my airport runabout. Now runs to lunch, the FBO, mechanic, and restrooms, (and visits to Frank's hangar!) will be in style!

Not to mention just impressing the ladies!

Look for this beauty running around the airport Frank!
IMG_1179.jpg
Last edited by KG on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
53 170B
170C

Re: My "new" airport runabout

Post by 170C »

CLASSY CHASSIS :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
KG

Post by KG »

Well it's not quite as cool as Kyle's car.....
170 n car copy 3.jpg
(copied from photo album thread)

.... but I'm already preparing for the long lines waiting for a ride! :D
53 170B
170C

Post by 170C »

I need a reservation for a demo ride :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Ah, but you'll get more ladies in yours than in mine! :wink:
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
KG

Post by KG »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:Ah, but you'll get more ladies in yours than in mine! :wink:
I do have room for more ladies.... but I'm not sure that I'll actually get any! :D

I started out saying, "a motorcycle with a sidecar would be a sweet ride around the airport". My better half made it clear that she would not be riding in a sidecar. Dang. She suggested a golf cart.... and this is what I wound up with. Not quite as cool as a sidecar but not quite as plain as the typical golf cart.
53 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I was just watching (last nite) an old re-run from the series "The Avengers" and one of the cast ran around in one... I told Jamie how fun that'd be on the ranch!

NICE!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

KG wrote:Well it's not quite as cool as Kyle's car.....
170 n car copy 3.jpg
(copied from photo album thread)

.... but I'm already preparing for the long lines waiting for a ride! :D
Is that an Isetta? Kind of rare these days.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
KG

Post by KG »

KG wrote: I started out saying, "a motorcycle with a sidecar would be a sweet ride around the airport". My better half made it clear that she would not be riding in a sidecar. Dang. She suggested a golf cart....
Sooo... an addendum to the story. A couple of weeks ago we attended a friend's wedding. The groom has a Harley and some of his biker friends arrived, one riding a vintage Harley with a sidecar. I talked my better half into accepting a ride in the sidecar and she LOVED it. It did mess up her hair a bit before the wedding, but oh well....

So maybe there is hope for me getting one after all.
53 170B
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I think there are some bubble car enthusiasts on here?

This is amazing:

https://youtu.be/23CDcgQYq8s
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Moke at Duncan's.jpg
Airport car that does double duty as parade/car show car!
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Ahh, the mini moke built by British Leyland . When I was in the army [many years ago] the army bought 4 bright yellow ones . They were used on our military airfield doing patrols at night on the perimeter fence which was about 10 miles around . We had to do 1 patrol every 4 hours . So it was a drag race around the perimeter . One night I stopped to go to the toilet behind a outpost building . Then about 100 yards away another moke raced past me nearly at the speed of sound . Ok a challenge . It was a valve bouncing affair but managed to just get behind the other moke as we got to the guard house . To my surprise and horror it was the Lieutenant Colonial of the base. He decided to do a spot check on security .Now I have sprung him sliding this moke around corners exceeding the speed limit by at least 45 mph and NOT wearing a seat belt and smoking . He hadn’t seen me stopped and going to the toilet . He hadn’t seen my headlights either until as we came to a stop. “ he then stated as we both stepped out of the mokes “we should keep tonight’s fun to our selves “. We were both doing the wrong thing “. Quick as a flash I replied [not thinking ]. I was chasing some idiot whom I thought had stolen one of our vehicles “. how to dig a hole for oneself . But I was never rostered for security again .wow.
Foot note .. a tow bar was fashioned and we used to tow out Cessna 180, and Pilartus Porters around with the mokes , it was very successful.
PS. Our mokes had the 10 in wheels
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

This one has the oh so powerful non-hemi, non-overhead cam, single carburettor (note the spelling for you Brit purists) 850cc engine. From a standing start crossing an intersection and reaching the other side you can be shifting into 4th and be doing all of 28mph. You probably would not have been able to catch the Colonel with this one.
DSCN2188.JPG
Earlier in its life it must have lived at a beach resort because when I took it apart it had sand in places it just couldn't have sand.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

The version that we had in the army was a 1275cc engine with “twin” SU,s fitted . I “think” it was called the California . Oh, so much fun
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

johneeb wrote:This one has the oh so powerful non-hemi, non-overhead cam, single carburettor (note the spelling for you Brit purists) 850cc engine. From a standing start crossing an intersection and reaching the other side you can be shifting into 4th and be doing all of 28mph. You probably would not have been able to catch the Colonel with this one.
DSCN2188.JPG
Earlier in its life it must have lived at a beach resort because when I took it apart it had sand in places it just couldn't have sand.
Is that a Whitworth Spanner laying on the block of wood? (Get your Whitworth tools here: https://www.samstagsales.com/whitworth_table.htm) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)