Taylorcraft Model 15

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Taylorcraft Model 15

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

For Arash specially, but for others interested, I had the opportunity to photograph half of the remaining known flying fleet of Taylorcraft Model 15s.
IMG_2606.jpg
Yep, thats right. Out of the 27 produced, 4 are still known to be flying and here are 2 of those 4. This is at Sentimental Journey 2017, Lockhaven, PA. The owners of the silver and green example are extremely knowledgeable of the subject and are tracking down every lead trying to find all 27. They are from Ohio and the yellow example is owned in PA nearby Lockhaven. I did not get any of their names. They know of about 8 or 9 airframes total including the flying examples. They were very excited when I told them about the one Arash use to own in California. Yes they said there is one in California. I said I don't think any more and they perked up thinking maybe there are 2 in California as they hadn't heard the one they knew of had moved. Arash, I didn't think you would mind and I gave them your name Arash and email so they could contact you about the whereabouts of your old Model 15. Perhaps you've heard from them already.

Why do 170 owners care about the Model 15. It was the Taylorcraft competition to the 170. A 4 seat, C-145 powered aircraft. The silver and green one had a 970 lb useful load which I found interesting. The owners said that all 27 where basically hand made and they have found no two are exactly the same. In other words. If they needed parts for theirs, they wouldn't expect any of the other 27 to have parts that would fit. The owners also said they frequent our forum for engine info as the 170 and the Model 15 have the same engine.
IMG_2607.jpg
IMG_2608.jpg
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
SteveF

Re: Taylorcraft Model 15

Post by SteveF »

Nice piece of aviation history !!
Thanks Bruce.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Thanks Bruce, had not heard of this aircraft. Looks vary similar to the Aeronca Sedan.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Nice photos Bruce. Coincidentially, there's a good article on the 15A, and in particular the green and silver plane in Bruce's photos, in the current issue (July/August 2017) of Vintage Airplane for those of you who are EAA Vintage members. The owners (the Newell's) seem like great caretakers of the plane.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Aryana wrote:Very neat. They contacted me Bruce, but I had the 15AC Aeronca Sedan. Never even knew the 15A TCart existed.
Whoops. Here all along I associated you with a Tcraft 15. :oops:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Interesting, Bruce. I didn't know how many were still flying. I know my Dad looked into these before he bought the 170. His first plane was a T-Craft, about a 1938 or 39. Very pretty - yellow and black with pants and strut fairings. Chrome grills and other parts as the first owner owned a plating shop and had 'enhanced' thing a little bit.
As I recall, Taylorcraft was on it's last gasp when they did the 4-place. I'm sure they hoped this would save the company. Unfortunately it didn't. I understand they were a good flying airplane, and good looking.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C