Ingress Step Usage

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Ingress Step Usage

Post by GAHorn »

Frank, ...as you know, the 172 had a step on the main gear-leg. So I imagine your airplane used a 170 step? (Or perhaps another type?) You might keep an eye on the rivets to make sure they don't begin to tear out a hole in the bottom skins. Adding a couple rivets shouldn't be too difficult if necessary.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Mind your step!!! Well my pilots step broke today and I was lucky in one way I wasn't hurt. My jeans had a small cut in them as my leg slide down the broken step and a piece of steel sticking out acted as a knife. My steps get a frequent inspection as the leading edge of the step often gets sand blasted and I paint it to stop corrosion. HOWEVER , this corroded from the inside out. I will be buying a Mc Farland step at about $365.00 US . The new one is believe is filled with oil to stop corrosion. I really caught by surprise on this one .
Some genius has used cherry max rivets [ 6 of] to attach the old step to the fuselage skin . He could have used nails , they would have been better.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm getting so heavy I worry about this when I board.... gotta get on the Fenstermacher-Diet....
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Ok , Bruce ,you had better step in and give the aviation world this diet [life style] . My wife could use this.[to help me] . :roll: :D :D
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

ghostflyer wrote:Ok , Bruce ,you had better step in and give the aviation world this diet [life style] . My wife could use this.[to help me] . :roll: :D :D
I'm glad you qualified that statement (in case Ros runs across this thread)! :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Lhorn

Post by Lhorn »

Hello all, I know I'm a late comer to this thread, but I've got a quick question. I'm in the midst of a fravell conversion on my '56 model 172, and I wanted to use the new Atlee Dodge steps, but there is no approval on their stc for a 172 (obviously). Does anyone know of someone who has done a field approval for the Atlee steps on a 172TW?
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

LHorn,
Welcome to the forum. As you’re probably aware Bill Berle now owns the Fravel conversion STC.

Assuming the Favel STC calls for the installation of steps p/n 0711006-1 and 071106-2, you can install the F. Atlee Dodge cabin steps with only a logbook entry. They are direct replacement parts with a PMA. No STC or field approval required. Let me know if you need photos or a tracing template to help with locating the skin cutout.
Gary
Lhorn

Post by Lhorn »

Hey Gary, Thanks for the welcome, and for the info. Exactly what I needed to know 🍻 I've actually got a salvaged belly skin from a 170 to use for the cutout template, but thank you for that offer. I'm gonna jump over to another thread and post a question about an 80/42 prop so this thread stays step related, but I'll bet there's a similar answer 🤞 Here's hoping...