Baggage door for a CE-170A

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Buzzkill82

Baggage door for a CE-170A

Post by Buzzkill82 »

I'm looking to install a baggage door on my A model. I will be heading to the junk yard soon as well as checking out any OEM or PMA doors. What models of Cessna have baggages doors that would be compatible with an A model? I've seen the STC for a CE-180 door but don't want to limit myself incase I find a nicer door. Thanks Mark
edbooth

Re: Baggage door for a CE-170A

Post by edbooth »

The early 172's and 180's will fit. The later ones with omni-vision (rear window) require a slight mod to the upper door jamb. I used one from a 1964 172. Had to lengthen the upper jamb a bit. Also if you want to keep the hat shelf, it needs to be raised about an inch or so to keep the opening clear. The secret to installing is to measure, measure, measure, then measure one more time.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
jwmcgu

Post by jwmcgu »

I have a baggage door from something. I'll try to send you a picture.
John
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Later model 172,s have a bonded skin on to the door frame. Therefore the door doesn't have any rivets in it .i felt it was a better door structurally. As some one said is measure and measure and so on before cutting any metal . I skin clipped every thing before riveting . I was shown by a Cessna rep that the skin of the aircraft can be shimmed out to,suit the contour of the door to fuselage also. It's one of the most useful mods one can do to a 170.i can't believe I suffered all those years putting things over the back seat. My biggest problem was paint matching the door to the aircraft.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

ghostflyer wrote:Later model 172,s have a bonded skin on to the door frame. Therefore the door doesn't have any rivets in it .i felt it was a better door structurally. As some one said is measure and measure and so on before cutting any metal . I skin clipped every thing before riveting . I was shown by a Cessna rep that the skin of the aircraft can be shimmed out to,suit the contour of the door to fuselage also. It's one of the most useful mods one can do to a 170.i can't believe I suffered all those years putting things over the back seat. My biggest problem was paint matching the door to the aircraft.
The shims are between the fuselage skin and the fuselage bulkhead to contour the fuselage to the curve of the door?
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Hinge on the bottom works well with the rear seat installed.
Hinge on the bottom works well with the rear seat installed.
Top is late model 182 hinge
Middle is early 182 hinge
Bottom is early 172 hinge
Important thing is getting the correct hinges. All the hinges will work but only the narrow ones will clear the rear seat when installed. The one pictured on the bottom.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
falco

Post by falco »

Buzzkill82 wrote:I'm looking to install a baggage door on my A model. I will be heading to the junk yard soon as well as checking out any OEM or PMA doors. What models of Cessna have baggages doors that would be compatible with an A model? I've seen the STC for a CE-180 door but don't want to limit myself incase I find a nicer door. Thanks Mark
Early 175 doors fit too. When they first put baggage doors in 172s they came from the 175 line.

If you can get the skin surrounding the door from the donor airplane, this makes a great template for cutting the hole in your airplane.

cheers

Pete
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

The shims I was talking about is just strips of 2024 in strips between the door /fuselage frame and the skin . I was aiming for a flush fit better than the production aircraft . I used the center hinge in the photo. However I purchased 2 new hinges from Cessna as I couldn't obtain hinges from the usual source .i accidentally kicked out some tools and the a hinge onto the floor when working inside the aircraft . I was totally shocked to find the new hinge had broken into 3 pieces . It had broken like glass. I gave the other hinge a hit with a hammer to see if would break .it was ok . So back to Cessna with this hinge and they very promptly changed it over . I am still waiting for a answer from Cessna why this hinge broke the way it did .it could have been interesting if it had broken in flight .
Buzzkill82

Post by Buzzkill82 »

Thanks for all the replies. My take away from the discussion. The older 180 & 172 doors are easier but the newer doors are better. Use the smaller hinges to clear the rear seat. Measure, measure and measure. That is the part I worry about. I really like the suggestion to get the surrounding part of the donor as a template. I will post my progress.
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Are you going to undertake the project, or have it done?
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

Buzzkill82, I wanted to let you know that I have a set of skins that came off the door I bought from white industries that you (anyone)can use a pattern. At the present time they are in Bob Coats possession. Ed Booth used them to install the door on Bob's plane. all you need to do is drill out a few rivets and cleco the skins in place. mark the outline of the door and cut. normally giving yourself some room for error. funny story about three years of wanting to put the door in - I drilled out rivets and put the skin on and drew the lines and then drill out the rivets on the long skin and decided to quit. wanted to reinstall rivets and not cut that skin -The AI I used to help me- said "let me see those snips" and cut that long skin "I've been hearing about that door for 3 years it is going in" :lol: :lol: . One of the best things you can do. When I ordered the door from White Industries I got a box about 4X3x.75 ft. about a 1/6 of the rear fuselage. Was not sure what they sent frame and all.

you are welcome to contact Bob in MO. via phone--we talked and he has them and will send then to you if you decide to use. you can hold them till someone else would like to use if it is OK with you. Ron Massicot
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm posting this to hopefully help everyone/anyone/someone from making a costly-mistake on this mod.
I am a fan of the baggage door addition to 170 aircraft...I think it's one of the best mods to be done.

The concern I've thought of while reading through this thread arises because of the casual comments being tossed about... I know everyone probably already knows... but one cannot simply "see" an STC and use that sight to document this mod. One must OWN a legal copy of the STC.
The STC must have come from an authorized purveyor of that document. In other words, one cannot make a photostatic copy of the paperwork someone ELSE owns/used.... and use that photostatic copy for one's own aircraft modification. STC's are intellectual knowledge and must be acquired directly from the owner or the owner's authorized agent. This usually involves money changing hands. Buying parts and getting documentation out of the salvage yards is also problematical. While the parts may be perfectly airworthy, the paperwork out of that donor airplanes logbooks do NOT apply to YOUR aircraft. You must obtain authorization from the original owner/issuer of that STC to make it applicable to your aircraft.
AND... while one is "measuring-measuring-measuring" (excellent advice from someone who knows)....one must accomplish the modification exactly in-accordance with the instructions contained in that STC. Any deviation must be documented and supported also... deviations such as substituting a different hinge than the one specified in that STC that came on the donor door.

In the land of "Oz"... the authorities are even more authoritative than here in Disneyland, so I'm fairly certain that the "Cessna rep" likely had more qualifications than that moniker suggests. (I'm thinking of the many anecdotal information we all tend to share... and I'm thinking of the "documentation" seen in some quarters, supposedly official and legal,... in which the "Cessna Rep" turned out to be a marketing dept clerk. ) Just because someone at "Cessna" shares their viewpoint does not authorize aircraft modifications.

The door installed in my airplane came from a 1963 172.... (I watched "Lucke" of ASOD chop it out personally)...but when the upholstery was removed from the door...clearly stamped by the OEM inside was ""model 175". Yes, the story says that the first bag doors were installed in 175's in order to provide access to the battery which, for CofG reasons was relocated behind the baggage bulkhead.)
The traceability of that door and parts reflected the aircraft serial number, model, and registration number of the donor airplane...and that is an important part of this process. Don't just grab whatever door you think will work for you and install it unless you have documented the DONOR aircraft completely. (It may be unlikely but what if an AD note comes out on the brittle-like-glass baggage door hinges of a particular serial-range of Cessna's? How would anyone know that AD note might now also apply to YOUR Cessna 170?)

The reason I mention all this is so that you don't find your modified aircraft has failed it annual inspection when the IA discovers you chopped a hole in the side of your airplane and adapted a bag door from gosh-knows-where using methods some "rep" told you he'd "seen" in someone elses copied STC. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gary w. potter

Post by gary w. potter »

I bought the Delaire stc for $282 and bought the door, hinges, latch and frame for $700. My 49 170A is due for annual in March and the plan is to install the frame and door at that time. The donor 172 was an M and the part numbers match the STC. The stc paperwork is VERY detailed and I'm looking forward to assisting my IA in doing this mod.
Gary W. Potter
Abilene, TX
49 170A
Buzzkill82

Post by Buzzkill82 »

As a follow up to this thread. I found a CE-172P at Air Salvage of Dallas. Bought the STC from Chris at DelAir and let Del do his magic at Mountain Airframe in Mena. When the restoration is complete I will post the entire restoration.
Attachments
D2716AB3-B4B4-42DE-8903-3337783602FB.jpeg
882E4F6C-F5B1-4242-8C39-64CB379C222F.jpeg
BC56EAEB-839D-4EC3-904A-498F8469298E.jpeg
C5DEE529-CB69-4C68-8740-3D643FF65E4B.jpeg