2836C's Last Flight

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: 2836C's Last Flight

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah..Justin, ... condolences!

Don't let them low-ball you on the claim. (I had a friend wreck his Aztec and the ins. co. told him it wasn't worth the $85K he claimed because the engines were run-out. He told them "You sure accepted the PREMIUMS I was paying for an $85K Hull Value!"

He got the money. (On the brighter side, I once had a claim with Avemco for hangar rash and they stood-up and did the right thing without any trouble at all.)

Best wishes for another beautiful 170!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Justin, sorry to hear of your loss. Its obviously a total so your insurance should pay the stated hull value and not try to settle for less. Hope you removed all personal items not physically attached to the plane as those don't go with the hull. Although you hate to lose this one, you may be fortunate to locate an even better one. Take your time and find what you want.

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

I'm so sorry also to hear of this - my condolences ! If you come looking for your "new" 170 near my area you can stay at my home for as long as needed . I'm near Indiana, Pa. (IDI ) the ButchPilot ! 908-489-1571
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Sorry for the slow response folks. Jut been busy during the daytime trying to assist my Uncle with cleanup and raising the roof on his hanger to extract his two planes.

Thank you so much for the kind words and much needed insurance advise. I was told by the claims lady I would get a call from the adjuster yesterday evening or this morning....still waiting on that call.
cessna170bdriver wrote:So sorry to hear that Justin! That is WAY worse than mine. Hopefully the insurance will take care of it in a timely manner and you can get on with the job of finding a replacement. I haven't heard from Del Lehmann in Mena, so I hope that's good news...

I'll always fondly remember riding with you at the poker run last year at the convention. This was at Lee Bottom:
Thanks Miles it was an honor to have you ride with me for the poker run. I had a funny thought yesterday, contact Del and ask..hey what ya think....is she fixable? 8O :D
It might be worth the laugh.
nippaero wrote:Oh man. Sorry to hear that. Was she tied down outside or did the tornado go through the hanger too?
Good luck on finding a replacement.
She was tied down under a 40 x40 open hanger. 4 posts where left standing..well still in the ground but not exactly straight. The 2000lb support beam that was on the front of the building was tossed about 50 foot away. My plane didn't have a chance. What was left of my open hanger in the image below;
20170307_175424.jpg
Pictures below of my Uncles Hanger and two airplanes under it.
20170307_064718.jpg
I think the picture of the blue one was after we got the weight of the building off as I see the tires appear to have air in them again. They were flat before of course.
20170307_065442.jpg
20170307_065247.jpg
Ryan Smith wrote:So sorry for your loss, Justin. That's really a tough one to swallow. Hopefully you and your family and your homes are safe. As much as I try not to personify inanimate objects, I do feel that airplanes have souls and I certainly feel very connected to my family's airplane, and have been my entire life. But at the end of the day, these airplanes are machines and machines can be repaired and/or replaced much easier than human flesh can.

You will be made whole and end up with another cherry 170, I'm sure of it. Remember 36C fondly.
Ryan, I know it's just metal but I hear from so many people on this forum like Miles for instance, where their kids grew up in their airplanes and he has for almost 3 years done without because of the bond with that plane. I had imagined something like that with 36C. The Aeronca Champ in one of those pics, was my Uncles first plane from the early 70's, he sure was sad about it.

George, I hope they don't try to low ball me but if they do I'll use your friends tactic.

Frank, I believe I have removed all my personal stuff from the plane or anything that I put in it, other than a ram ball mount which would be to difficult to remove. Thanks for the reminder.

Butchpilot, Thanks ya much for the offer.

Justin
My playground....
35°58’52.01” N 93°06’27.51” W
'54 170B White and Green with a hint of Red
jwmcgu

Post by jwmcgu »

Justin,
I sent you a private email.
John
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Aryana wrote:That Champ looks totally fixable. I've put together some that started out pretty ugly and bent up.
I have done no real repair work but thought after getting it out that it surely could be repaired. Our IA came over yesterday to have a look. I showed up after most of the discussion was over. When I asked he said he thought he would be better off getting another 65 hp champ and putting his 85 hp engine on it. I questioned him a bit about it, was there more than just the wings and elevators that he thought needed to be fixed. He just said he'd have to dig into it to be sure. He thought one side had been smashed down pretty good. Not sure what that means in terms of repair work.

At this point it all comes down to money I suppose. Can you repair/replace the wings, struts, and elevators plus the cowling cosmetic issues cheaper than buying another plane. One other concern was the prop took a pretty good hit from the front doors when they fell in. I couldn't tell it was bent but there was some signs of a good lick.

He was not insured on anything but his truck. So it may come down to do I love my house more or my plane more. I probably know for him it's the plane but he can't exactly live in the plane. I'd love for him to somehow get it back in the air again. That has been the pride of his life for many years.

Just for some giggles I asked did he think we could get mine going again. :lol:

Justin
My playground....
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Likely cheaper to get another Champ. But anything is repairable even yours. Yours is actually easier to repair. Drill out 4 rivets from the data plate and reinstall in on an replacement complete airplane. Still hard to believe how torn a part your plane is.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

I don't want to beat this death or wear you guys/gals out with all the images I comb through a day but for me it just feels good to vent a little I guess and share some of the images that have kind of been running my life for the past few days. I apologize if I am wearing you all with it.
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Still hard to believe how torn a part your plane is.
Bruce,
I understand and agree. I just stand there and look at it and try to picture it setting back under that hanger so I can just jump in and take her for a spin. I know tornados are powerful but until your life had been touched by one It's just difficult to imagine it or it was for me. How the heck did it end up this mangled....

Flying was a weekly part of my life I'm a bit lost right now. Yes I have my wonder family which is the most important thing but flying was my relaxing time. It was the bonding time spent with my Uncle.

The plane did tear down the electrical lines between the house and the main line pole or that is our theory as there is nothing else on the south side of the power line to impact it, it did snap two power poles in the process and I suspect it either went through the hanger roof or was just beat up by all the hanger debris on the way to it's landing point. The only thing off the plane or out of the plane that was found between the hanger and it's final resting point was one foot step and the fire extinguisher. Nothing else was found, I don't think it ever touched the ground until it struck the power pole.

Going to share some aerial images that tell a bit more of the story.
Aerial_2.png
Aerial_3.jpg
Aerial_4.png
Last_Flight_distance.png
As you can see from the first pictures I posted one wing was completely remove but the other one is torn off just past the wing strut. The aileron cable is still attached to that half of the wing and it's laying at the tail section of the plane. The cable ripped a gash all the way across the remaining part of the wing over into the center of the fuselage. I was just amazed how strong that cable must be to still be attached. The wing strut and landing gear is still in place on one side. It is beat up but to have flown that distance in a tornado maybe it don't look half bad. Heck the seats are still in place. 8O
My playground....
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Justin, no apologies necessary, at least from my perspective. I can't speak for others, but I don't mind your venting. I guess I feel there is no better place for it. We can at least understand and sympathize with your loss. Again, I wish you the best going forward.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

juredd1 wrote:I don't want to beat this death or wear you guys/gals out with all the images I comb through a day but for me it just feels good to vent a little I guess and share some of the images that have kind of been running my life for the past few days. I apologize if I am wearing you all with it. ...
Not at all Justin, at least for me. I know it feels better to get it off your chest; I was in your shoes a few years ago... :|
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Justin, vent and share all you want. Unbelievable pictures.

A few years ago my plane was moved about 5 ft in the tie down by wind and it was totaled due to damage. Doesn't even hold a candle to what your going through.

And what came out of my damage is I partnered up with a friend in my current 170A which is a win win for both of us. Maybe you and your uncle might partner up and share aviation even closer. Never know what might come of this.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Likely cheaper to get another Champ. But anything is repairable even yours. Yours is actually easier to repair. Drill out 4 rivets from the data plate and reinstall in on an replacement complete airplane. Still hard to believe how torn a part your plane is.
Bruce is joking, of course.

While such practices have been known in years-past... it is decidedly ILLEGAL.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

For those that have not met Justin; I briefly met Justin at the Columbus and I thought to myself, what a great guy. I thought that the club was lucky to have a new gracious member (who had little grey hair if any :D ) and I believed that the future looked promising if the association could attract more such members. I'm sure others members were thinking the same thing at Colunbus.
Justin, it makes me sick thinking of what you're going through. I've been without since I bent my plane almost two years ago. My machine is now coming back together but it's been a hard process getting used to looking always up. I don't wish this on anyone.
Most of us thought that Miles's airplane would not fly again but Dels miracle work proved to many of us that we had underestimated his capabilities. Having looked at the pictures, I'm thinking there's a significant difference in the damage between your plane and Miles plane but I'd like to wish that Del could prove me wrong once again.
Again hoping for the best outcome.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Thanks a lot guys. It's means a lot to have a place to come release a little, folks are supportive, and can understand what it means to lose your plane.

My wife made a pie for my Uncle last night so I ran it over there after 9ish last night, he got to move back into the part of his home that still has a roof over it. I left the car running as I meant to stay for 10 minutes but talked for the hour. Just discussed the struggles that laid ahead for both of us. I look forward to finding another airplane but so dread the effort it takes to get a good one found but for him where nothing he owned was insured but his truck. For me it wouldn't look to bright even at my age but for him being 75ish with no job and no insurance money to rebuild what is gone he was being very real about the situation but very positive. He said you can either just set here and do nothing or get up and fix what can be fixed and move on.

Over the previous 4 days I wasn't sure he would get another plane, I know it's early but just couldn't get a clear picture there but he said last night, oh he'd like to get one but had a lot of work to do to prepare for it. He don't want it setting out in the weather so he wants some sort of hanger built before buying again. I surely hope he does. He just talked and talked about the history he had with that plane, from the loan to the end. The plane did what he wanted it to do, it was the plane for his kind of flying (slow and low where he could see the sights) and he trusted it.
c170b53 wrote:For those that have not met Justin; I briefly met Justin at the Columbus and I thought to myself, what a great guy. I thought that the club was lucky to have a new gracious member (who had little grey hair if any :D ) and I believed that the future looked promising if the association could attract more such members. I'm sure others members were thinking the same thing at Colunbus.
Justin, it makes me sick thinking of what you're going through. I've been without since I bent my plane almost two years ago. My machine is now coming back together but it's been a hard process getting used to looking always up. I don't wish this on anyone.
Most of us thought that Miles's airplane would not fly again but Dels miracle work proved to many of us that we had underestimated his capabilities. Having looked at the pictures, I'm thinking there's a significant difference in the damage between your plane and Miles plane but I'd like to wish that Del could prove me wrong once again.
Jim,

Thank you sir for the kind words. It was an honor and a joy meeting so many of you folks and you all just took me in like I had been a member for life. George made a little fun of me because I didn't know what kind of radio I had in my plane but I informed him I'd know the next time. :D (BTW....I still have very little grey hair if any :wink: ) When I needed help or had questions no one acted as if they were better than me, they just jumped in and helped. They too were once in my shoes. Frank, I still have some of that tail wheel chain I need to get back to ya, thanks again.

If I had the power to do over and in hindsight I would have made the subject of this post "2836C's Is Down, Can Wingnut work another miracle?". That subject might catch his attention of course he may have seen it already and is thinking I do not want another "Lazarus Project". :D

The insurance adjuster is supposed to arrive Wednesday I'll likely update on the status.

Thanks,
Justin
My playground....
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Justin,

Maybe you can ask the adjuster if you can dril off one or both side panels with the N-number before they take the wreckage, and keep it as a memento. One side of my vertical fin had some old unused holes so I had Del replace it. This, along with some other bent and torn parts will be going up on the wall of my hangar.
IMG_1717.JPG
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne