ELT's

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

ELT's

Post by 170C »

I'm having issues with my EBC elt. Seems to be depleating its battery and not due to being activated & left on. Second time in just over a year. While I am contemplating what to do (replace with a used 121.5 or a used 406 or see what, if any, deals might be available at Sun N Fun) I was told that aircraft as old as ours (1956) were not certified with an elt and therefore one is not required to be in the plane. I think I want one just in case, but am curious if that statement is correct?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: ELT's

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Has nothing to do with age of the aircraft certification. See 91.207. I've copied the parts of the regulations that you could meet to NOT be required to have an ELT flying under part 91.

Bottom line Frank. You probably need an ELT.
  • Sec. 91.207

Part 91 GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES
    Subpart C--Equipment, Instrument, and Certificate Requirements

Sec. 91.207

Emergency locator transmitters.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section, no person may operate a U.S.-registered civil airplane unless--

(e) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this section, a person may--
    • (1) Ferry a newly acquired airplane from the place where possession of it was taken to a place where the emergency locator transmitter is to be installed; and
      (2) Ferry an airplane with an inoperative emergency locator transmitter from a place where repairs or replacements cannot be made to a place where they can be made.
      No person other than required crewmembers may be carried aboard an airplane being ferried under paragraph (e) of this section.
    (f) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to--
    • [ (1) Before January 1, 2004, turbojet-powered aircraft; ]
      (2) Aircraft while engaged in scheduled flights by scheduled air carriers;
      (3) Aircraft while engaged in training operations conducted entirely within a 50-nautical mile radius of the airport from which such local flight operations began;
      (4) Aircraft while engaged in flight operations incident to design and testing;
      (5) New aircraft while engaged in flight operations incident to their manufacture, preparation, and delivery;
      (6) Aircraft while engaged in flight operations incident to the aerial application of chemicals and other substances for agricultural purposes;
      (7) Aircraft certificated by the Administrator for research and development purposes;
      (8) Aircraft while used for showing compliance with regulations, crew training, exhibition, air racing, or market surveys;
      (9) Aircraft equipped to carry not more than one person; and
      (10) An aircraft during any period for which the transmitter has been temporarily removed for inspection, repair, modification, or replacement, subject to the following:
      • (i) No person may operate the aircraft unless the aircraft records contain an entry which includes the date of initial removal, the make, model, serial number, and reason for removing the transmitter, and a placard located in view of the pilot to show "ELT not installed."
        (ii) No person may operate the aircraft more than 90 days after the ELT is initially removed from the aircraft; and
      [(11) On and after January 1, 2004, aircraft with a maximum payload capacity of more than 18,000 pounds when used in air transportation.]
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks Bruce, I want one anyway. Lot legalise there. No one has said where a "good" bargain can be had. Might have to get ply.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
beaverbill

Post by beaverbill »

If shopping for an ELT I would urge caution with the American-King AK-451 series. I know of several uncommanded activations with these. Middle of the night trips to the hangar to turn the darn thing off. That sort of thing. On the plus side, Search and Rescue could tell right where the plane was, even inside a metal hangar.
Bill
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I'm sure you can dig up a serviceable 121.5 unit on ebay, but I would highly recommend you spend a few dollars more for a 406MHz unit. Google searches (including this forum) will give you a million opinions on them. All I can say is that I've seen them in action and these things WORK! There is absolutely no comparison between them and the old 121.5 units. When the engine konks (it happens) you'd give 10 times the few hundred bucks you saved to have the piece of mind of a good ELT on your side.

And the advice to stay away from the Ameri-king units is good. Last year they had their TSO yanked and are under investigation by the Feds for using unapproved parts. We installed a bunch at work and my experience is that if they worked they were good, if not...then you replaced it until you got one that did. So if you have one (I do) and it's been working fine probably no need to panic, but at the same time probably not worth trying for a new install.

DEM
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks for the suggestions and cautions. Before getting too deep into ELT research or purchase I pulled the unit out, checked to be sure it wasn't working (and it wasn't). Checked the battery and it showed good so I removed a bit more insulation on the unit wiring and put the wire nuts back on. The unit now is working. That unit has small wiring and limited space for the wire nuts. Apparently when the current battery was installed I didn't get a real good twist on one of the wire nuts and vibration caused a poor connection. I will still be looking at what deals might be available on 406's at SNF, et al.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Save the wire nuts for your house electrical system. Nylon butt splices, knife disconnects, or a Molex connector would be a more appropriate connector. Squeeze the connector with something other than the Craftsman combo squeezer. In an accident the last thing you want is for your ELT to not work because of an inadequate connector.
Gary
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Wire nuts? Are you joking? It's been a long time since I've read anything on an aviation internet forum that I've truly never heard of before. You mean wire nuts, like this? Were they built into the ELT from the manufacturer or are they part of the installation?
wirenuts.jpg
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I believe the Model EBC-102A (Emergency Beacon Corp) ...which is commonly installed in a window-sill or sidewall panel and has an integral wire-antenna, has a battery pack with two leads which attach via small "wire nuts".

This company also has a reputation with regard to warning owners about using aftermarket batteries other than their own. (or reverse engineering what is clearly alkaline AA cells taped/potted together.)
Attachments
EBC102A.png
EBC102A.png (36.79 KiB) Viewed 17004 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

I have an EBC-102A installed as George described. About a month ago, I decided to replace it with a 406 version. I seem to recall from about a year ago that EBC made a reasonably priced (relatively) drop-in 406 replacement for the 102A (used the same mount/bracket), but I couldn't find it online recently. So about a week ago, I tried calling EBC, but only got voicemail. Something about them being on vacation in January. So I sent them an email. It's been about a week and I still have not received a reply. I don't know what's going on with them, but if I find anything out, I'll let you know.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I have two EBC 102A ELTs and am currently running aviation wire nuts on both units. For those concerned, I'm not planning on either of the ELTs I own nor any ELT in any aircraft I fly, to help much in an emergency. So I'm not concerned at all.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com