Intro to the group-NEW OWNER N5453C

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

VernH

Intro to the group-NEW OWNER N5453C

Post by VernH »

Hello All,
I have been lurking here for awhile but I have now joined the group. Im a retired Army aviator. I flew helicopters and airplanes while on active duty in some pretty cool, and not so cool, places. Now I am planning on flying for fun. I have been renting but, as you know, tailwheels are hard to rent. The one I had been flying has recently been wrecked. It had been down for maintenance for some time prior to that. Then there are the usual problems with schedules etc.
I am hot on the trail of a '50 170A. She has been on the same field for 45 years so she is well known to the locals. I am going to take a closer look at the plane and the logbooks and talk to the man who has maintained her since anybody can remember. It is the usual story. The owner just doesn't have time to fly like he would like. Last flight about 6 months ago and 10 hours in the last year. At first glance she needs some cosmetics and probably little things. They all do. I noticed intake plugs and exhaust covers so that was encouraging. She wasn't just abandoned.
Ill have more questions I'm sure once I have a chance to look her over good and view the logs. Pictures are coming.
Thanks in advance,
Vern
Last edited by VernH on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J
cessna170bdriver

Re: Intro to the group

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Welcome to the 170 Association Vern! I too began looking for a 170 due to scheduling problems in a flying club that owned a J-3. It doesn't take very many times of showing up at the airport with your name on the schedule and seeing the airplane leaving the ground to make you seek alternatives. That was in 1982 and I am still the caretaker of N3498C, a 1955 B-model. Good luck in your search for a 170.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Hello Vern.

Good luck on the hunt. Looking for those pictures. :D

Couple of Army Aviators here. When did the Army teach you their way to fly? :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Welcome aboard Vern. Wish you all the best in your search.

Justin
My playground....
35°58’52.01” N 93°06’27.51” W
'54 170B White and Green with a hint of Red
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Welcome Vern!
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Welcome to this club Vern. Post up those pics anytime.
VernH

Post by VernH »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Hello Vern.

Good luck on the hunt. Looking for those pictures. :D

Couple of Army Aviators here. When did the Army teach you their way to fly? :D
Bruce,
I enlisted in '73, started flight school in '76. I flew UH-1, AH-1, UH-60 and finally spent 6 years in the C-12 retiring in 2014. I spent about 20 years as a DAC at Ft. Rucker in Hueys and 60's while I was in the Reserve and National Guard. Now I'm teaching Coasties the HH-60 in Mobile, Al. I still don't know what I will do when I grow up so I'm putting that off as long as possible.
Fly safe!

Vern
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Cool Vern. I spent 6 years on the ground then 2 as a crew chief on a Huey. Spent 1986 at Mother Rucker and returned back to my reserve unit to fly Hueys. Finished out my 20 years barely, all reserve. Never deployed. Thought I'd stay in for 43 years but the Army Reserves had other ideas getting ride of their rotor wing assets to the Guard. I've actually spent more time as a gray area retiree than I spent in the Reserves but I'm a month away from collecting my first retirement check.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
VernH

Post by VernH »

I had the chance today to run off to the airport and look at the 170. I was pretty disappointed. It looks like there is corrosion in several places, that I could see. Im no expert but corrosion is tough once it gets started. There were areas on all the control surfaces where the paint was bubbled up. She obviously has not had the care I would have hoped for...ever.
What do you think?

Here she is. Looks pretty good from here.
Here she is. Looks pretty good from here.
right side-Scaled-Scaled-Scaled-Scaled-Scaled.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 20043 times
Corrosion on the PP tube
Corrosion on the PP tube
elevator PP tube-Scaled-Scaled-Scaled-Scaled.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 20043 times
Bubbled paint. I chipped a bubble off and it was corroded underneath.
Bubbled paint. I chipped a bubble off and it was corroded underneath.
gear leg-Scaled-Scaled-Scaled.jpg (28.09 KiB) Viewed 20043 times
I think this panel needs to be replaced
I think this panel needs to be replaced
fuse ding-Scaled.jpg (17.52 KiB) Viewed 20043 times
The bright spot
The bright spot
eng baffels-Scaled.jpg (27.73 KiB) Viewed 20043 times
Last edited by VernH on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly safe!

Vern
VernH

Post by VernH »

Here are a couple more.
I popped one of the blisters
I popped one of the blisters
gear leg corrosion.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 20040 times
Step.jpg
Step.jpg (31.03 KiB) Viewed 20040 times
bubbles in the paint
bubbles in the paint
elevator.jpg (28.69 KiB) Viewed 20040 times
at this point I would have to consider this 170 as a project.
Fly safe!

Vern
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Those legs do not look,the best and they can be expensive to replace . The aircraft has been left a long time for corrosion to get hold that much . The bores on the engine will be questionable also has corrosion quickly eats into that region . Ok if it's cheap real cheap maybe but expect to use lots of money [ AND blood ,sweat and tears ] . Check corrosion on the spars and wing roots also , this can be expensive area also to fix.
Try to have a look in the fuel tanks as they corrode on the bottom of the tanks . The wing struts are a area a lot of people miss. The end fittings should be clear of corrosion and the tube area should have no dings ,dents or damage . Have a big look in the gear box area also for cracking and mis alignment also . These are old aircraft and have had many pilots and not so good drivers fly them . Not so long ago I had a guy jump out of a near new Cessna 206 and come over to me and tell me that he used to fly my aircraft .the way he loaded the 206 and the way he taxied and took off , I shudder.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Vern welcome here, apparently army types who've been flying those shakes things, turn into great members, the club is in luck.
I'm thinking the gear either has been painted with the wrong kind of paint or very poor prep and wrong paint. That torque tube can be blasted and painted again easily. It's hard to see what's going on in the pic with the coin with the resolution available. Again it could be poor paint prep.
The big stuff needs a critical eye placed on them. The wing internals, spars, H.S. And rudder spars and the gearbox needs a hard look at especially since the gear exhibits issues.
A models can be had a bit easier than a B , for debatable reasons, but they are all great planes so you might want to extend the search if the risk on this one is iffy.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
VernH

Post by VernH »

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
Jim, the picture with the coin is a dent I would say 1/8-3/16 in depth.
Fly safe!

Vern
VernH

Re: Intro to the group-NEW OWNER N5453C

Post by VernH »

I made the decision to buy N5453C. I was able to talk to the seller about my concerns and we adjusted the price accordingly. That, along with the extra stuff and spares coming with the plane, I feel like I have room for the inevitable unknown problems and other things that need to be done. Im sure there will be surprises and I am looking forward to the challenge. AND a hangar just came available at the end of the month. :D

Looking forward to many questions and discussions. Thanks for your support so far!!

Vern
Fly safe!

Vern
gfeher

Re: Intro to the group-NEW OWNER N5453C

Post by gfeher »

Glad to see 53C will be getting the care she deserves. Congrats Vern!
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200