Yet another new guy

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

G280driver

Yet another new guy

Post by G280driver »

Hello all. Thank you for accepting me to your group. I was a lurker here for a while but when I finally purchased my 51 170A N1438D I decided it was time to make if official. I bought 38D as a project with wings off, door missing, broken windshield, and about 15 or so years of dust. I've owned a 150, 182, and a 310. They were all flying airplanes so went thru the normal prebuying process. With 38D I removed everything I could to gain better access to lay my eyes on everything possible even if mostly with a mirror and flash light. The FAA records data showes the plane lived in Alaska for a while. And as a flying club plane back in its home state of Kansas. The man I bought it from trailered it home for me for the cost of fuel. That was nerve wracking following it home to Texas.
Bought the plane in October 2016. In the last few months have resolved many challenges on the mechanical side of things, too much to list. We have stripped, aluma prep 33, and alodine treated all parts that are awaiting paint. It's currently too cold, need min 60 according to paperwork. I was glad to see reminents of N number on wings and tail and no apparent damage under the paint.
So now I wait.
As far as myself, I fly for a living. Nothing exciting, I'm officially a Sr Captain at a corporate flight department. Currently flying a Gulfstream G280. I have some time in gliders. Blanik L-13 and Schweizer 1-26. My son is finishing An Associates in Aviation Technology where he will also get his A&P, so if he stays in the area I'll have some "affordable " maintenance.
Jim
1953 170B “Deuce” 25582
1951 170A “Blue Lightening” Sold 20021
swixtt

Re: Yet another new guy

Post by swixtt »

Welcome Jim, that was quite the adventure in acquiring your new plane!! how did you come to decide on this particular one and a 170 for that matter. i came to the 170's mostly because of what was available to me at the time and really wanted to get into a bigger, useful load, tailwheel configuration!
there really is a dusty wealth of info on this site as you've probably discovered.
post any pics if you have some handy of your progress!

cheers
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Welcome Jim! Your 170 will make at least two that live in Wise county once "The Eternal Project" comes home from Mena. Will probably base in Bridgeport when that happens. I think there may be another in the Rhome area.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Welcome Jim.

We like pictures. Before during and after. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

G280driver wrote:Hello all. Thank you for accepting me to your group. I was a lurker here for a while but when I finally purchased my 51 170A N1438D I decided it was time to make if official. I bought 38D as a project with wings off, door missing, broken windshield, and about 15 or so years of dust. I've owned a 150, 182, and a 310. They were all flying airplanes so went thru the normal prebuying process. With 38D I removed everything I could to gain better access to lay my eyes on everything possible even if mostly with a mirror and flash light. The FAA records data showes the plane lived in Alaska for a while. And as a flying club plane back in its home state of Kansas. The man I bought it from trailered it home for me for the cost of fuel. That was nerve wracking following it home to Texas.
Bought the plane in October 2016. In the last few months have resolved many challenges on the mechanical side of things, too much to list. We have stripped, aluma prep 33, and alodine treated all parts that are awaiting paint. It's currently too cold, need min 60 according to paperwork. I was glad to see reminents of N number on wings and tail and no apparent damage under the paint.
So now I wait.
As far as myself, I fly for a living. Nothing exciting, I'm officially a Sr Captain at a corporate flight department. Currently flying a Gulfstream G280. I have some time in gliders. Blanik L-13 and Schweizer 1-26. My son is finishing An Associates in Aviation Technology where he will also get his A&P, so if he stays in the area I'll have some "affordable " maintenance.
Jim
I'm sure there are a ton of operators in the DFW metro area that fly those, but you don't happen to work for BNSF, do you? Welcome to the Association!
G280driver

Post by G280driver »

This picture is fresh off the trailer safe at home. I'm having difficulty posting pics but I'll get it figured out.

No I don't work for BNSF but know all the guys there and occasionally have done fill in contract work for them. A great group of guys there.

I work for a major defense contractor who has a plant south west of Meacham airport, but am not allowed to say.

Why a 170. That's an easy one. A good friend of mine that was my instructor had a 170A. That was his first plane he talked highly of its abilities, overall affordability to operate, and generally a joy to fly. He currently has flown and owned a 180 for 25 years that I know of. I trust his judgment and opinion completely. That and the round tail 170's are just a beautiful airplane.

Jim
IMG_1406.PNG
1953 170B “Deuce” 25582
G280driver

Post by G280driver »

aluma prep wash done
aluma prep wash done
Stripping underway
Stripping underway
Windshield will be here tomorrow or next day. Thats next on the list. Trying to decide if I'll chance breaking new windshield, or drill out and replace rivets.
Attachments
Alodine done. Sorry about shadows
Alodine done. Sorry about shadows
1953 170B “Deuce” 25582
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

she's going to look a whole lot better pretty soon:)
what did you decide on the Windshield replacement? do any other windows in it? sides or doors?

keep up the good work!!
G280driver

Post by G280driver »

The rest of the windows are good.

Waiting for windshield still. Think I'll try without removing lower strip. But be easy with it. Bail out if it seems like much force will be needed. Then switch to plan "B".
1953 170B “Deuce” 25582
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

8O You can remove and more importantly reinstall the windshield without removing the lower strip?

I understand removal could be done. :twisted:

I don't think you'll get the new one trimmed correctly and then back in.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:8O You can remove and more importantly reinstall the windshield without removing the lower strip?

I understand removal could be done. :twisted:

I don't think you'll get the new one trimmed correctly and then back in.
Not that my opinion matters much, but having replaced my share, I second what Bruce said.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
G280driver

Post by G280driver »

You opinion does matter. In fact its enough that I'm going to drill out the rivets and plagiarize another's idea of making strips with nut plates. I just found out that my windshield from LP Aero, thru Spruce, still hasn't even been produced yet let alone boxed, shipped, and delivered. So in this unwanted extra two weeks I'll get the nut plates made.

Opinions from previous experience are priceless and a major resource thru forums such as this one.
1953 170B “Deuce” 25582
170C

Post by 170C »

Let me add my welcome to you new guy (G280driver). "Eigher From Decatur" Sounds like you have jumped all over your project 170 and have made lots of progress. Keep us in the loop with your progress.

Seems there is a small defense contractor right there on Lake Worth. :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

I welcome you too, Jim. You'll find a great bunch of people here, and, as you have seen, lots of help. The conventions are great. Hope to meet you in Deming in July. Come on along, even if the 170 isn't in the air yet.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
G280driver

Post by G280driver »

Windshield is in. I did it with out removing bottom flange. When I took the new windshield out of the box and saw how flexible it was I felt I could get it in with out breaking it, and I did.

First thing I did was to use a scratch-all to scribe a line on the old windshield so I could see how "deep" it was in the groove all around. Then I removed the broken windshield that was taped with shipping tape to hold pieces together.

Next I put new windshield in upper groove only and let the rest sit outside the groove. Then because my wings are off I measured from wing attach points to leading edge and set new windshield in correct position front to back. This showed I did not need to trim anything off the top.

Next I set the broken windshield over the new one and marked a line of the perimeter, and cut about 1/8" outside of that line.

Next I put windshield in all grooves but the upper groove. This is easy with no felt. I again positioned windshield correctly front to back. Then traces a pencil line all around groove. Removed the windshield one last time for final trimming which showed my original cut line would have been good. But I thought it was smarter to sneak up on it as it's easier to remove material than to add after the cutting.

Next I put the felt on and installed windshield. This wasn't necessarily difficult but I took my time. What I did was start the bottom back corners in the groove first and slowly work the lower part into the groove. Then I forced the top part into the upper groove. That dislodged some of the lower groove but I worked it back in. I used no tool for install but did use two strips of thin aluminum to help the felt into the groove.

It took at max 5 hours start to finish, including removal. I still need to finish up the center strap with two rivets and then drill/bolt the center strap but I'm not going to do that till the wings are back on. That way I can move it slightly if needed.
Jim
Attachments
IMG_1518.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG
1953 170B “Deuce” 25582