? Givng up !

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

butchpilot170

? Givng up !

Post by butchpilot170 »

Came to the conclusion that I might have to give up on reassembling my !70A . Was just informed my trusted IA Jack Daniels from western Pa ( where I'm from ) has officially retired . With him out of the picture the wind is out of my sails. I feel sure at this point I have all the parts to bring her back to life. Does anyone know of a "One man army " IA in the Pittsburgh area that could make the reassembly happen for me . I won't let myself get caught in the high overhead high priced scenarios again . Thx, the ButchPilot !
48RagwingPilot

Re: ? Givng up !

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Keep fighting, Butch. You've come too far to give up now. If you can find an A&P/IA to supervise your work, you're golden. Soldier on!! Dave
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

Hey Thx for the cup of encouragement Dave . In my 444 years of aviation I I have been loyal to just a few AP/IA's and they have been good to me . The shop rates for the same end result are too much for me ! It must be in our blood to fight these battles ! What say U ?
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Keep looking. I'm sure the fine folks in this Association can help!!
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

They have been a big help and I'm so glad I was accepted to be a member ! Take care and Merry Xmas Dave !
bat443

Post by bat443 »

Just asking, but did you hear it directly from him or second hand from someone else? The only reason I am asking is I know a couple of IA's here in northern Michigan who retired because they didn't want to be in business and work everyday but still do a little on the side. Kind of what you are looking for, doing the inspection of an owner assisted annual or supervising a project. So if he didn't tell you straight out that he would not help you out just ask before you give up.

Just a thought, Tim
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

I agree with the above. In Oct I was in Kansas and needed help with stuck exhaust valves at an airport that didn't have an A/P. I did find an old retired mech that basically (as he says) works when he feels like it. For a project like yours you just might run across someone who doesn't want to work full time anymore and only on what they consider 'fun projects'.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

Hey thx guys ! These are great thoughts you have! Yes , he personally explained to me that he is officially retired and if he takes on my reassembly the "word" will leak out to the others and will hunted down like a dog and be destroyed . The IA I need would have to be within a 50 mile radius of where I live in PA . For a while I'll keep searching !
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Where do you live in PA?

Are you looking for an IA to inspect and sign off on your work (IE you're an A&P?) or do you need an IA to supervise, inspect and sign off on your work?
bat443

Post by bat443 »

Don't forget to try the local EAA chapters, often times they include A&P IAs as members or know who helps others on certified aircraft projects.

Tim
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

Wow, thx Tim ! That's a great possibility maybe ! I 'll put the question to all the locals ! Why didn't you think of that (huh,huh) ? Now I'm rejuvenated somewhat ! I was a member for about 10 years back in the 70's . I guess I should have stayed a member, Butch !
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Actually, for most of the work you probably only need an A&P (not an IA). Unless you doing a major repair/alteration that requires a 337, an A&P can oversee all the assembly. Then you'd just need an IA for Annual Inspection. At that point you can bring in an IA, or that same A&P can pull a ferry permit and you can fly it there. And actually, you don't need even need an IA for the repair part of the 337 portion. Again, an A&P can do it all, and the IA can just inspect it when it's done.

Would it be a lot easier to have an IA throughout the process who can just sign it off when it's done instead of tearing it all back apart for inspections? Absolutely! But the point is don't see that as the end all, be all. 95% of what you need can be done by an A&P.

DEM
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

I agree with that thought. Maybe I should do it like that . I didn't realize an A&P could sign off to get a ferry permit when reassembled . If she flew any distance with no problems I think that IA would consider her basically airworthy . Thank you , Butch !
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Why would you need the ferry permit?
Once she is assembled (barring no major alteration/repairs or other 337's needed), all she needs is an annual inspection and she's back in the air.
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

Hi Dave ! The new idea is if the IA cannot be found locally and is of some distance then work with a local A&P to reassemble the 170 , have him get the ferry permit, and fly to the IA where ever he is !