Compliance Rate Seat Stop SEB07-5

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Compliance Rate Seat Stop SEB07-5

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I know it is an old topic. Have curiosity questions.
Kit to prevent uncommanded rearward movement of pilot/co pilot seat.

I am reading on subject Service Kit SK 210-174A Seat Stop. Noted term "mandatory" .This means installation must absolutely be accomplished as directed by Cessna. Am I correct in understanding?

Curious as to what percentage of INTL C170 members have installed the kit. Is it 90%, 75, 50 %?. What is the number?

Does anyone ever do an informal ramp check to count installations when there is a gathering of C170s.

Was a direct AD ever issued by FAA?

What was the approximate number of Cessna aircraft affected by SEB07-5?

Once installed is the Fix truly transparent?

Can an aircraft that has not installed Kit still be considered airworthy?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Compliance Rate Seat Stop SEB07-5

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

SBs and SKs are not mandatory for flying under part 91 not matter how hard Cessna screams mandatory. If, and it has not happened yet, there is a AD issued by the feds which makes the SB or SK mandatory, that is a different story. As there is already an AD dealing with this issue, and it has in recent years been updated and strengthened, I doubt you will ever see an AD requiring the secondary seat stop.

I had the kit installed on my 170.

I've never counted or done a survey how many have the SK installed.

I believe all Cessna's with seat tracks such as ours, and that is a lot, are effected.

I feel the "fix" is as transparent as a "fix" could be. It has never failed a test. Has released and allowed movement of the seat without thought. And has made me feel good on takeoff not relying on me grabbing and holding the instrument hand hold as my secondary seat stop. (the hand hold is now my third seat stop measure)

Airworthiness considerations revolving around non-mandatory equipment or inspections is as subjective as whether it is a good day to fly or not. The SK cost me nothing but my time to have it installed. Has not caused me grief at all. Has not modified my airplane other than a nut plate fastened to the floor. Is easily removable and therefor shouldn't negatively effect the value of my plane anywhere near as much as a bad paint scheme and many other things thought valuable done to a 170. And as far as I'm concerned installation of the SK is a small plus which will become a much bigger plus when Cessna stops paying for them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I didn't have it installed in mine either.
If you honestly comply with the current AD, there shouldn't be an issue. (says the FAA)

I put new rails and hardware in 81D along with the little screws stop thingy on the rail. I'll do the same with 95D.
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Didn't comply. I didn't like the bulkiness/weight and location of the system. I use seat rail locks.
170C

Post by 170C »

I had my seat stop unit installed pretty early. It took the shop less than an hour to complete the install and it has worked flawlessly each & every time I have flown. It does not cause any inconvenience to daily operations and is a good peace of mind thing. I still have the screw rail locks (or whatever they are called) and I occasionally use them on the co-pilot seat. My seat rails are still in good shape. I wish I had one of the units on my co-pilot seat, but am not wanting to spend the nutty price they are asking for them + allowed install cost. I have run into quite a number of Cessna owners who have not had the unit installed and a couple who installed a second one on the co-pilot seat.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Mine was already installed when I bought my airplane. Works as advertised. So well, in fact, that I wondered if I should get rid of the seat locking pins and save the wear on the rail holes! 8O
The only thing I don't like is that it takes up space under the seat that I might otherwise use.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

DaveF wrote: The only thing I don't like is that it takes up space under the seat that I might otherwise use.
Keep in mind that's crush space. Odds are you'll never need it, but if you do....

As for the stop I had it installed a couple years ago. Done free at a local Cessna SC but the lead time on the kit was a few months so call ahead. Not sure if it's still free. I figured it would become an AD eventually and at that point it might not be free anymore so I went ahead and did it.

In operation it's fairly transparent as long as you use proper technique. This means pulling the handle all the way up, then moving the seat. Don't do it right and it can hang up. Also, the seat stops when the handle is dropped...not when the pin drops in the hole. Thus it's possible to stop the seat outside the holes. If you were in the habit (bad habit) of letting the seat slide and drop into the hole, this will cure it. It actually works best to go a bit past and then pull forward to make sure the pin locks. If all this sounds complicated, it isn't. Just a bit different. Will take a few hours to get used to maybe, but after a bit it just becomes normal.

DEM