What to do in Fairbanks

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Paul-WI

What to do in Fairbanks

Post by Paul-WI »

So I am flying to Fairbanks December 6th for work and I have a down day. Working all day on the 7th and 8th and flyng back on the 9th. Looking for ideas what I can do to experience Fairbanks. I wish they would have sent me up in the summer because I could have stayed longer and made a vacation out of this. Anyone interested in taking me up for a short tour? Gladly pay for fuel and I am sure there would be a lunch involved! Putting my Skis on next weekend and the trip to Fairbanks is just fueling the desire for ice and snow.

Paul
N3458d
Paul
N3458D
cessna170bdriver

Re: What to do in Fairbanks

Post by cessna170bdriver »

What to do in Fairbanks this time of year? Stay warm!

PAFA 210253Z 00000KT 10SM CLR M22/M24 A2967 RMK AO2 SLP063 T12171239 55003
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Paul-
All of the usual tourist trap stuff has been shut down for awhile. The University of Alaska has an excellent museum on the campus that is very worthwhile to see if you want to stay in town. If I had to make a choice and I had a car and I liked hot springs I would drive out to Chena Hot Springs and plan on lunch and a swim and then drive back to Fairbanks. It's only about 60 miles but will take 1-1/2 hour each way and is a very nice drive unless there has just been a blizzard. There is a bush-style runway at Chena but I haven't landed there in a long time so have no idea about condition. It would be skis-only this time of year unless they haven't had any snow yet. You could call and ask about runway conditions but it also gets dark fairly early this time of year and its in the mountains.

Another popular activity at Chena is watching the Northern Lights which can be very impressive when they are out and the sky is clear. Chena is far from the light pollution in Fairbanks and the aurora can be spectacular but can also be seen from Fairbanks so look up at the night sky while you are there.

Or, if neither one of those options is appealing, Fairbanks has more funky bars full of unusual people than you could possibly go to in 4 days. Just DON'T ring the bell!
Last edited by hilltop170 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Go to library

Drink hot Earl Gray tea.

Read books about Noel Wein.

Noel took Alaska highway surveyors on a side trip (1940) to show an oddity the native Indians were doing further up North.

That trip paid off for Noel. 20+ years later he was purchasing brand new Boeing 737s.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
mit

Post by mit »

Look me up If I have my plane back might be able to do something....
Tim
stogie17

Post by stogie17 »

I live in Fairbanks and actually enjoy the great views, dry, clear, low sun sky of winter better than summer. Rainy Anchorage is cold I call Fairbanks "crisp". By the way I'm originally from Florida. Hardly ever any wind now and we have only 2" of snow cover so skis aren't on yet and CC skiing the miles of great trails hasn't really started. Birch hill is skiable. I second the suggestion of #1 the univ museum of the north and if time a trip to Chena Hot springs. Prime Rib at the Turtle Club not too bad either. If Milt can't get you up I might be able too depending on guest I have coming then. Sterling 907-888-9650
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Actually the AlaskaBowl Company is interesting and they have a video and tour of how they make them using very old techniques and equipment
It's not done till it's overdone
wldlndfirefghtr

Post by wldlndfirefghtr »

Run out and have a soak at Chena Hotsprings. About an hour drive. They have a restaurant too.

Hoodoo tap house (closes at 8pm and closed Sun & Mon)

Turtle Club, amazing prime rib dinner...bit $$$

Drive around the east ramp and look at planes :D
'56 170B N3526D
170C

Post by 170C »

The east ramp tour of aircraft would be cool. Way back in 2000 when a group of us took the inland passage on Princess Lines , prior to the 170 convention, and spent a couple of days in Fairbanks. Several of us went over to the airport and spent several hours just roaming the ramp (pre 2001) and it was unbelievable the number of planes parked there. Same amazing scene at Merrill Field in Anchorage. Don't think I have ever seen that many aircraft on airport ramps since.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Been busy so I didn't get time to respond to my post. I am hoping my flights go as planned. So I am thinking that if anyone in Fairbanks wanted to meet for lunch on Tuesday just to visit and talk airplanes I would be up for that. Working all day Wednesday and Thursday and heading back early Friday morning.
Paul
N3458D
mit

Post by mit »

Paul-WI wrote:Thanks for all the great suggestions. Been busy so I didn't get time to respond to my post. I am hoping my flights go as planned. So I am thinking that if anyone in Fairbanks wanted to meet for lunch on Tuesday just to visit and talk airplanes I would be up for that. Working all day Wednesday and Thursday and heading back early Friday morning.
I work on Eielson AFB get home to Fairbanks about 5PM. Was going to go to the trappers meeting at 7 could give you the quick east ramp tour. It is -30f right now. I live right at the airport almost.
Tim
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

Thanks Tim. Sounds like fun. I am arriving into Fairbanks around 8:00 am and will try to catch some sleep as it will have been a long travel day. My number is 7154995123 of you want to text me on the afternoon. If this works great. If not no sweat.

Paul

UPDATE

Well, like they say - got time to spare, go by air. More time yet, go by jet. I will not arrive in Fairbanks until late tomorrow afternoon so any chance of visiting and sightseeing just went out the window. I was hoping for some free time but that will not be happening. I do have evenings available if anyone wants to meet Wednesday or Thursday after 6:00 for a beer and sandwich and maybe some "hanger flying".

Otherwise, next time.

Paul
Paul
N3458D
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

What a short trip to Fairbanks but really enjoyed the area. Didn't get any time for sight seeing but found a decent bar (The Banks) that served good food and friendly staff. I need to get back and visit sometime....maybe in the summer. First time I ever rented a car and they hand me an extension cord. I think the high was -13. Anyway, next time will plan some extra time and hook up with some members.

Paul
Paul
N3458D