Marvel Mystery Oil Disrepute

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Marvel Mystery Oil Disrepute

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Oil additives have been in disrepute since the 1990's

93 year old product Marvel Mystery Oil is still on the the shelf at NAPA and O'Reillys

NTSB investigation listed chemical analysis of MMO.

Did you know. It is 25% "white Spirit"? a.k.a paint thinner!

Stodart Solvent was mentioned. Do you remember?

Have you ever taken a coat to the dry cleaners? Stodart solvent was developed(1920s) just for your dry cleaning needs.

Marvel Mystery OIl may be in disrepute as engine oil additive but there is is a lasting CONNECTION to your Cessna and it is molded in forever.

Look at the side of your carburetor; see name Marvel- Schebler molded in.

Right after Wold War 1 (1914) bad fuel residue was threatening the good name of carburetor. Mr Pierce developed MMO as a solution.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
edbooth

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil Disrepute

Post by edbooth »

MoonlightVFR wrote:Oil additives have been in disrepute since the 1990's

93 year old product Marvel Mystery Oil is still on the the shelf at NAPA and O'Reillys

NTSB investigation listed chemical analysis of MMO.

Did you know. It is 25% "white Spirit"? a.k.a paint thinner!

Stodart Solvent was mentioned. Do you remember?

Have you ever taken a coat to the dry cleaners? Stodart solvent was developed(1920s) just for your dry cleaning needs.

Marvel Mystery OIl may be in disrepute as engine oil additive but there is is a lasting CONNECTION to your Cessna and it is molded in forever.

Look at the side of your carburetor; see name Marvel- Schebler molded in.

Right after Wold War 1 (1914) bad fuel residue was threatening the good name of carburetor. Mr Pierce developed MMO as a solution.
Since the 1990's ??? Where have you been? All of these additives MMO, Wynns friction proofing, STP, transmission fluid ,etc have been a source of conversations for many decades. Everyone has their opinions, just like what kind of oil to use. Having used some of the products over the years, I don't think any of it harmed the engine, but did not get any measurable benefits either. The aviation oils are designed and blended to give the maximum protection to your engine based on current knowledge. Guess it's just whether you want to increase your operating expenses or not...just my 2 cents. :?
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." - Edmund Burke

MMO was analyzed by White Laboratories in Dallas in the '60s and found to be petroleum distillate (light kero), with added dye and perfume.

Last I heard, kero was jet fuel, and jet fuel in an avgas airplane is a misfueling.

Having said that, Northern Tool was getting rid of their stocks and I bought a gallon of the stuff for $7.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with it other than smell it occasionally.

" Reminds me of an old girlfriend, Rosie, who smelled like MMO and used to be a riveter in Marietta, Ga, who told me
of riveting wings on B-24's using rivets stored on dry-ice. As they were bucked, they'd warm up and take a final "set" and self-anneal. (I think that's why her hands were so cold.) Brrrrrr....", - Beryl Minard
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

gahorn wrote:"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." - Edmund Burke

MMO was analyzed by White Laboratories in Dallas in the '60s and found to be petroleum distillate (light kero), with added dye and perfume.

Last I heard, kero was jet fuel, and jet fuel in an avgas airplane is a misfueling.

Having said that, Northern Tool was getting rid of their stocks and I bought a gallon of the stuff for $7.

" Reminds me of an old girlfriend, Rosie, who smelled like MMO and used to be a riveter in Marietta, Ga, who told me
of riveting wings on B-24's using rivets stored on dry-ice. As they were bucked, they'd warm up and take a final "set" and self-anneal. (I think that's why her hands were so cold.) Brrrrrr....", - Beryl Minard
Put it in a Little Perfume spritzer and spray it on your clothing and every one will think you are a mechanic of some sort? Phyllis will not let me in the house with the smell of Jet fuel or Hydraulic fluid in my cloths and refuses to let them in the dryer and must be hung up to dry until they have had enough washing's to convince her that the odor is gone. I have never used MMO for anything but I stand by Mouse Milk to unfreeze turbo waist gates linkages and shafts. And I have no idea whats in that.
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Metal Master wrote:
gahorn wrote:"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." - Edmund Burke

Put it in a Little Perfume spritzer and spray it on your clothing and every one will think you are a mechanic of some sort?

Phyllis will not let me in the house with the smell of Jet fuel or Hydraulic fluid in my cloths and refuses to let them in the dryer and must be hung up to dry until they have had enough washing's to convince her that the odor is gone. I have never used MMO for anything but I stand by Mouse Milk to unfreeze turbo waist gates linkages and shafts. And I have no idea whats in that.
Jim
I heard that this comes from a certain strain of mice, and it's really hard to catch them.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Are you saying the Marvel on the carburetor is the same Marvel that developed MMO? Just wondering.
I don't put it in the fuel, but do put it in the engine oil. It seems to me my compression is better. I assume it helps the rings stay free. Just my experience. Oh, and don't tell the FAA!
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Captain Marvel, Inventor of Carbohydrates and Mysterious Oil
Captain Marvel, Inventor of Carbohydrates and Mysterious Oil
Captainmarvel.JPG (12.98 KiB) Viewed 24444 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
canav8

Post by canav8 »

capt.jpg
capt.jpg (13.47 KiB) Viewed 24441 times
Not to be confused with this Captain.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Ok , all you knockers, it's a great oil ,I have used it for years and will continue to use it . Nothing but success with it . BUT
You must mix MEK with it 50/50 and paint it on any corroded nut and wait for a hour and it's simply comes undone with a little effort . If you can't get MEK ,I have been told mixing it with alcohol 50/50 also works and not the Capt Morgan type of alcohol either .
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

I'm with ghostflyer on 50/50 MMO and MEK. Best penetrating oil for loosening any corroded nut. Second best: Kroil Oil/Aerokroil. IMO. Been using both for decades on everything. I save the MMO/MEK mixture for the tough stuff. So I can't criticize MMO. It's come through for me many times.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Other less well known uses:
- The mild wintergreen flavor is very tasty on a nice salad of fresh greens.
- Chug a shot at every fill-up and never get constipated.
- Massage a teaspoon on the scalp to reverse baldness and prevent dandruff.
- Rubbed on achy joints relieves arthritis.
- Brush your teeth with it and never get cavities or bad breath.
- Pour a cup in every wash to keep your clothes fresh smelling and soft.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
170C

Post by 170C »

George, it sounds like you just can't pass up a bargain :roll: That gallon will make a nice men's or ladies gift at the Christmas party or a good auction item in Deming :mrgreen: I figured you would brag on it since it was RED :D

Many years ago I went into a Sam's in Fort Worth and saw MMO for sale. Had to buy 4 gallons at a time. I have used it for any number of things and still have 2 1/2 gallons of it. Now I know to mix with MEK as a penatrant.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Aww, a little bit of kerosene in your gasoline never hurt anyone.

It works great in the parts cleaner too. Gives your bearings that fresh summer scent.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

bsdunek wrote:Are you saying the Marvel on the carburetor is the same Marvel that developed MMO? Just wondering.
Yes, one in the same.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

bagarre wrote:Aww, a little bit of kerosene in your gasoline never hurt anyone.
Your right David, it probably hasn't. In fact rumor has it the airlines used it (MMO) in round engines by the 55 gal drum.

Personally I find it a pain in the butt to buy and store Stoddard solvent, red dye and winter green, and then mixing them in the right proportion is tedious. Much more convenient to buy MMO in a nice red bottle. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com