Door latch return spring for 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Thermalflight

Door latch return spring for 170B

Post by Thermalflight »

As luck would have it the door latch spring broke this morning when I was getting ready to take a friend for his first light airplane ride. Why wouldn't it?

It worked perfectly yesterday afternoon when I did the preliminary preflight.

I'm sure it's the spring because part of it fell out when I opened the door. I was able to keep the door closed by holding it firmly closed and moving the inside handle up.

Does anyone have information on a source for the springs or a fix?

Thanks
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Door latch return spring for 170B

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Very common for them to break. If you haven't had the door latch out it is not an experience for the non mechanical. The door latch system is tedious to remove, requires drilling rivets if they haven't already been drilled. The latch mechanisms are not that sturdy being built from sheet metal which can break when flexed. See this thread for options which are a new style different spring available from Cessna parts suppliers. http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... tch+spring

If you are mechanical you can also make you own like the old one from music wire or you can buy a spring home made by Cecil Neal mentioned in the last post of the thread I listed above. His contact: https://www.cessna120-140.org/?product= ... -170a-170b. Many look at the pictures of what Cessna sells and how they are installed (in the link I posted) and then go to the local spring supply (ACE, Lowes, Home Depot and many others with a Hillman Hardware selection) and find some springs that fit the bill.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Pdogace

Post by Pdogace »

Mine broke last month and the door would not close at all. After some research I emailed Lee Chavez at apache2@mlod.com and he made me 2. $65 for two. It worked great. He is on the Cessna 120/40 forum. He is in CA so it takes a few days to get in the mail depending on your location. Hope this helps.
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Wow, $65. This is a piece of music wire which cost about $2 for enough to make at least 50 springs. It is not that difficult to do if you are mechanical and work with your hands and have block of wood, a few brads and a needle nose plier.

Of course from the pictures Lee seems to have it down pretty well. Just be sure to give him specifications how and what to build in your email so you can truly call it a owner produced part, which it is. I doubt Lee has PMA. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Pdogace

Post by Pdogace »

I did give him the specs and was very specific. Turned out good.
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I doubt Lee has PMA. :wink:
Good thing, too, because then it would cost $650!