Owner (supervised) Annual/Overhaul

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Lee

Owner (supervised) Annual/Overhaul

Post by Lee »

I am doing the work myself under the supervision of an A&P/IA. Several things cross my mind: 1) This project is a lot of fun 2) I am learning a lot and logging all of my work and getting it signed off ... I want an A&P and the -170 is a great "hands on" lab! :-) 3) Thought provoking that an airplane that was clearly well-cared for still has had issues in that problems that should have been caught on previous annuals were apparently missed or ignored. The Association has been extremely helpful in answering my questions. Also of importance has been the manuals that came with the aircraft and the manuals/material available from the Association. The magazine has had a lot of good articles as well ... I have saved every issue for that reason alone. Thanks! Regards, Lee
wabuchanan

Re: Owner (supervised) Annual/Overhaul

Post by wabuchanan »

Your comment has hit home for me, particularly #3 above, regarding the " Thought provoking........." issues.

I started an annual on Sept. 15th, and won't be done until nearly November 15th if all goes well from this point forward. The Squawk list I presented of concerns I had noticed over the last year of flying and pre-flights etc turned out to be issues of a significant nature that I am surprised had not been caught on previous annuals. And yet, the plane presented as well cared for and maintained, with full logs and annual at purchase.

The search function and previous posts and discussions have been extremely helpful in resolving some of these issues. I have also learned a great deal about the rules and process of "owner produced parts" as well.

Indeed, educational as an owner assisted process.
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
Lee

Post by Lee »

Amazing what we can learn by working on the airplane ourselves (With supervision!) ... key is a good set of manuals, a type group like the Association and a mechanic that is open to working with the owner. I am fortunate in all respects! Education is continuous in aviation and I think the opportunity to get to know an airplane is not something to be passed up!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

We'd be interested to see a list of things you've found.
Lee

Post by Lee »

The two main issues thus far have been with the mufflers internal baffles (thus the need to replace) and missing inter-cylinder baffle and a spring I need to fabricate. There were tabs I had to cut out and rivet to the outer inter-cylinder baffles as well. I missed those items when I was looking at the airplane before I bought it. The windshield crack is minor but, as long as I have the interior out and the instrument panel dismounted and the instruments removed, I figured I might just as well go ahead and replace the windshield. Barring anything major with the engine, and ADS-B compliance down the road, the windshield should be the last quasi-big ticket item. I have already replaced the headliner (discovering a rusted pair of needle nose pliers hanging in a channel between the right front and rear seats on the (aircraft) right side. Minor surface corrosion found on the aft cabin bulkhead when the old headliner was removed. I also replaced one of the seat rails as I thought it was getting close to limits based on a gauge I acquired. The installed speaker was weak so I replaced it. There were a number of STCs already incorporated and I am adding to those as the work progresses. To reiterate, I think that owner (supervised) annual and ensuing work is really worthwhile ... I know I am getting to know the airplane better and still think I made a good purchase. The documentation was really, really good and was one of the things that sold me on the airplane. The work is enjoyable and educational. R/Lee (N1967C)
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Hi Lee,

I just noticed your N number. What's your serial number? I own N1963C and am curious to see if they are sequential. (Mine is 26108)

DEM
Lee

Post by Lee »

Serial # is 26112 .... R/Lee