Angle of Incidence

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

krines

Re: Angle of Incidence

Post by krines »

I notice this while flying down the runway one foot off the ground flying the length of the runway without landing at the slowest possible speed
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Did you ever notice that .... IF you have your 170B trimmed in level cruise flight...that reducing speed and deploying Full Flaps.... WITHOUT TOUCHING THE TRIM WHEEL... that when you slow for approach to the airport...that the airplane is STILL IN TRIM?

Typically a pilot will pull power (and the nose drops so he trims nose-UP).....then he deploys partial flaps (and the nose rises so he trims nose-DN)...then the reduces speed to approach speed and the nose drops (so he trims more nose-UP)...then he deploys final Full flaps (and the nose rises so he trims nose-DN again)... etc etc etc.

Next time, from trimmed level cruise, ...try reducing power for slowing to approach speed and physically hold the nose UP until the airplane slows...then deploy flaps for landing and enjoy the fact that the airplane is back in-trim!

(Clyde...or rather, Cessna engineering staff) knew what they were doing. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
krines

Post by krines »

Ok George now you got me going. When I transitioned to the cub I was instructed to fly it just as you describe for the B model. Don't touch the trim just cut power and as the nose drops add flaps. My A model however I would cut power add flaps and add nose up trim for speed. I suspect the larger fowler flaps of the B makes it fly like a cub. The A may be a different animal. My concerns about angle of incidence my be off target as the flap influence my have more of an effect. The reason I asked this question from the start is that I could wheel land my A very short. The cub can as well but it is a very tail wheel low attitude. There is a thrustline mod for the cub that takes the thrustline to an angle of incidence from minus 5 to closer to zero which decreases take off distance, imporves cruise speed, and improves rate off climb. Most who have used this mod report there is a lot of float on landing. My A would float and it was predictable. The cub I have does not float at all it just plops on to the ground if you don'i carry power. I think that piper put more angle of incidence in the cub to make it more stable but there is a cost. I ask this question out of curiosity because I will add this mod to my cub but I hope it makes my cub fly more like my 170. This is a loaded question because I have no experience with big flaps, a big prop, and angle of incidence issues. The answer to my question my open up some incites as to the difference between cubs and cesssnas.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

The angle of incidence for the wing, at the root, is +1.5* for both the A and be models. The difference is at the tip rib. The A model is +.5*, and the B model is -1.5*. A model wing has 1* twist/washout, and the B model has 3*. As measured in relation to thrust line, they are the same at the wing root. I type this from a ladder stand with a 5 yo grandson fidgeting beside me, warning all the deer within a 10 mile radius. So, if I'm incorrect, I'll edit tomorrow
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
krines

Post by krines »

Thanks wingnut. I had suspected that was the case. Alot different than the 5 degrees my cub has. Hope you had a good hunt. I remember vividly the first time I was hunting coyotes and my cell phone rang. Oh how times have changed. In this case I appreciate the intrusion of technology as I got my answer thanks. Steve
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I recall when I flew for the State of Texas .... Parks and Wildlife came out with an on-line app that allowed a hunter to apply, pay for, and print out his hunting license.
It was a good idea they thought...until one day as the Game Warden was in his car running a background-check...the offender applied, paid-for, and received his doe-permit before the warden could issue the citation. :lol:

(The feature has been rectified since.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)