ADS B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KG

Re: ADS B

Post by KG »

I just got a quote of $4600 + (after the $500 FAA rebate) for a new Stratus transponder, encoder, ADS-B in unit, and installation. ouch.
53 170B
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

When you are descending at 500+ ft/min that 1000 foot separation goes by fast. Did it save me from a mid air explosion? Probably not. However, after flying with ADS-B for a while now I would not go back. I like seeing what's around me. The situational awareness it provides gives pilots additional information for decision making. Everyone's ability to digest the information available will vary. You are correct, it will only display other aircraft with ADS-B Out so you must factor that in to your decision making.

I was just talking to a guy who put a NAV Worx in his RV-10. He really likes it and the said the installation was easy. Basically had to clamp the Nav Worx around the antenna cable of his existing transponder. So that might be something to look into. I didn't know about the FAA certification issue. I saw they had a statement on their website.

So far, the downside I see is compatibility amongst all the vendors. It would be nice if they all worked together but you kind of have to pick a horse and ride it.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

nippaero wrote: You are correct, it will only display other aircraft with ADS-B Out so you must factor that in to your decision making.
Well, it will display other transponder equipped traffic too...depending...there are two scenarios and both require another ADS-B aircraft to be nearby.

If there is no ground station involved, and you do not have ADS-B out, you will only see other aircraft that do have ADS-B out.

If there is a ground station nearby, and an ADS-B out aircraft pings it, you will see all transponder equipped traffic within a 30 mile radius and 3500ft of the ADS-B out aircraft.

That said, I have seen traffic that I know is NOT ADS-B out equipped on my setup (Naviator and FlightBox ADS-B receiver) and not seen any traffic that I thought was ADS-B equipped within 30 miles of me, but did have good ground tower LOS on multiple towers. So, I'm not certain if there are scenarios where the ground station is relaying to someone else outside of 30 miles...
nippaero wrote: However, after flying with ADS-B for a while now I would not go back. I like seeing what's around me. The situational awareness it provides gives pilots additional information for decision making. Everyone's ability to digest the information available will vary.
As far as SA - I agree - I've been flying with TCAS for about 15+ years and the SA provided by the "fish finder" is very nice. ADS-B has the potential to be equally helpful once more folks have it. And the display only helps point your eyes in the right spot - it's not a replacement for the Mk1 Eyeball. :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I wonder if drones will be req'd to be equipped with ADS-B Out. And I wonder when it'll dawn on regulators that a battery-powered-portable OUT system could someday be req'd for all non-elect-equipped aircraft as well. Gov't creep.

I'm with Bruce on this. When the price is down to the ordinary cost of replacing my Narco AT150A txpdr (<$1K).
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
busav8or

Post by busav8or »

PeeDee Avionics in Cheraw SC is going to install a Stratus ESGi for $4200. That's before the rebate! I figure with the $500 rebate and selling my current Stratus 2 for around $600 and having sold my Zaon for $200, I'm under $3000 installed with a fresh transponder cert. Not cheap, but reasonable in my mind! Call Shannon at PeeDee at 843-253-9605 if interested. There's about a 2 month lead time, though!
Former Caretaker of N4410B '55 170B
s/n: 26754
N8293A

Post by N8293A »

That's a good price. In northern Illinois we are getting quotes on a Stratus install at $5000. I am hoping that comes down in the future.
Steve McGreevy
N8293A '53 C170B
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I am getting ADS B as I am always using flight following and it is unbelievable the number of aircraft you don't see and they don't see you. We do have mid airs in Alaska more than should happen. When I give flight reviews I emphasize using flight following and it is unbelievable to me how timid people are to contact approach and get a squawk code and use all resources that can definitely help you avoid a midair.

I hear lots of people saying how they are not going to get or use ADS B. I think it was Congress that mandated it, not the FAA. It reminds me a bit of how resistant people are to getting a 406 ELT which can reduce the search area to meters instead of miles. They don't even launch on 121.5 hits anymore at least up here. Someone has to call in and notify of an overdue aircraft with 121.5.

Unbelievable how resistant to change we seem to be when it is primarily money based
It's not done till it's overdone
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Aryana can you send me information on that on unit? That sounds like a good deal
It's not done till it's overdone
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

marathonrunner wrote: Unbelievable how resistant to change we seem to be when it is primarily money based
Equally unbelievable how money based the change is. :wink: The price difference between TSO and non-certified equipment is indefensible.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

So $159 for an ADS-B in device. Makes my purchase of a DUAL XGPS 170 ADS-B a few years ago for $750 look really foolish. Specially since the first didn't work for the trip I wanted to use it on and it's replacement I've only used twice and quite frankly could have done without for those two times. $750 of the worst spent money I may have ever spent.

Granted the DUAL XGPS 170 does also have a WAAS GPS receiver. But I could have just kept and used the DUAL GPS 150 I'd already bought for $150 (now selling for $89)

It is the way of electronics. The latest gizmo selling for $500 will sell for $99 and be 4 versions down the road by 2020. Why in the world would anyone spend $5000 now on a piece of equipment that shouldn't be more than $500 now. In 4 years these will be up to their 4 iteration and maybe, just maybe they will finally be selling for the $500 they should be though by then the price should only be $99.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:It is the way of electronics. The latest gizmo selling for $500 will sell for $99 and be 4 versions down the road by 2020. Why in the world would anyone spend $5000 now on a piece of equipment that shouldn't be more than $500 now. In 4 years these will be up to their 4 iteration and maybe, just maybe they will finally be selling for the $500 they should be though by then the price should only be $99.
And they would be on an open market. A market without the FAA mandate's thumb on the scale. The prices may actually go up as the deadline approaches because you're effectively over a barrel and the sellers and installers know this. Your plane becomes a very expensive lawn ornament after 2020 for much of the country w/o ADS-B out. That doesn't mean prices won't come down; they will. But they won't come down like they should...the technology is already there for it to be $99 equipment...but it's not.
170C

Post by 170C »

I will eventually get ads-b in & out if I am fortunate to be flying into the 2020's. Hopefully we will see more reasonable pricing by then. In the meantime the vast majority of my flying is in areas that won't require ads-b
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
krines

Post by krines »

Can't imagine what it would be like to fly in to Oshkosh with one of these giving off aural warnings
LToxvard

Post by LToxvard »

The ADS-B topic in my mind is a very important one, and I have been following this forum pretty close, as this will be my next big investment. I transition through airspace Bravo on a regular basis around Denver International, and the overall thought amongst the old boys that hang out around the FBO, "that I must say I look up to a great deal" say 2017 is the year to get it done. The thought is that, as the deadline approaches it will be more and more difficult to get your aircraft in to get the install, and the last thing you would want is not being able to fly your aircraft to the point of install. I am currently looking at the Garmin 345, or the LINX 9000+, leaning a little more towards the LINX, both are I-Pad compatible, but I like having independent weather and traffic input with the LINX in case the I-Pad locks up. That being said, I learned old school and all this new stuff makes life a little easier, but it doesn't replace old school common sense.
KG

Post by KG »

For what it's worth... the rebate for ADS-B is over. I missed it by two days.

Sucky thing for me is that during the last two weeks I was involved in an email exchange with the FAA guy regarding my unit which needed a software update. I followed his instructions, got the update, then emailed him back. He denied my rebate because the program ended Sept 18 even though he had been working with me to get it. As my mother says, "that made me say ugly words."

(there is a caveat..... if you have scheduled installation in the future and made a reservation with the rebate program, I believe you will still received the rebate. At least that is the way he explained it to me.)
Last edited by KG on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
53 170B