Need wing root fairings !

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

butchpilot170

Need wing root fairings !

Post by butchpilot170 »

Hi ! I need to borrow a set of wing root fairings to use as a pattern for making a set for my '51 170A . I am willing to send a deposit to guarantee a return of them to you . Also need to know what aluminum I should make them out of . Thx, the ButchPilot !
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Need wing root fairings !

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Buthcpilot, my 170A is getting an annual next Friday. I'd be happy to make the best paper templates I can.

The problem I see with your plan is seem to remember the wing root fairings are riveted to the wing at the top. At least that is the way I remember both of my 170s being. If this is the case you'd have to find someone willing to detach them. However, if I'm right you could get a good pattern from fairings while they are attached. At least a good enough pattern to get you close enough for final fitting in place.

I'll see what I can do for you.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

They weren't riveted on my airplane but had two #8 screws on top.

With the wings on the airplane, it wouldn't be too difficult to make up a set as it's a flat wrap around with a 90 degree bend to stiffen the lower section.
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

That would be great Bruce thx and thank you also Dave ! Oh, I got an English wheel and later today I'm going to hopefully "iron out " some of the buckles in my lower cowling that was damaged in the wreck . I'll give an update later, the ButchPilot !
Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre wrote:They weren't riveted on my airplane but had two #8 screws on top.
Do those screws have nuts or something hard to get to that makes them difficult to remove. I know I've never removed mine for a reason.

bagarre

Post by bagarre »

No, they are just sheet metal screws. No nut plates or anything like that.
Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre wrote:No, they are just sheet metal screws. No nut plates or anything like that.
Huh. Maybe mine was stock and yours modified. Maybe someone riveted mine or used screws and nuts hard to remove. I remember thinking how dumb these things don't easily come off the top. Maybe I just never wanted to fetch a ladder. :oops:

lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Mine are also screwed in place. But mine is a B and Bruce's is an A model, maybe there different?
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Last week during annual I removed and traced my right wing root fairing. The left is a mirror image. Mine are not pristine and I'm not even sure they are factory but believe they are.

I remembered rivets and indeed mine has one just above the leading edge which attaches two sheet strips together into one long assembly. Indeed the entire assembly could be removed from the factory with screws. However when I installed my one piece windshield, one of the screws holding the new top windshield lip, goes through the fairing. This screw is a bear to remove because the nut underneath is hard to get two. Doing the windshield again I'd not do it this way.

Here are some pictures of mine.
Top left side. You can see the single rivet and the screws towards the back.
Top left side. You can see the single rivet and the screws towards the back.
Looking at the bottom right side you can see the screws and recessed washers that hold the strip on.
Looking at the bottom right side you can see the screws and recessed washers that hold the strip on.
Close up of the screws.
Close up of the screws.
Right underside back attached with two screws and no washers
Right underside back attached with two screws and no washers
Somewhere I'd mentioned the front edge of our wings and windshield has been sealed for more than 30 years with a piece of green wool Army blanket.
Somewhere I'd mentioned the front edge of our wings and windshield has been sealed for more than 30 years with a piece of green wool Army blanket.

Bruce Fenstermacher

As for the template, I'll have to snail mail it to you Walter (butchpilot170) but seeing as you have a NJ address maybe we can meet for breakfast or lunch if your 172 is flying.

butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

Thx Bruce for all the info and pics . I guess I'm a long ways away from putting the wings back on so I can put the wing root fairings on the "back burner " for now ! Yeah Bruce , maybe us and some of the other club members could do a fly in luncheon sometime and discuss the greatness of the 170 and of course get to know each other . Thx, Butch !
170C

Post by 170C »

Bruce, I like the Army blanket! I wonder what Cessna had originally? I've used duct tape and silver/aluminum tape. Not sure what is best but your blanket may be the winner. Also wonder what others use successfully on the backside of the fresh air "fairing" in the cabin. Seems difficult to stop outside air from leaking there. I have used fiberglass but it still leaked. Not an issue in warm months but is in colder ones.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018