Wentworth Salvage Co.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

butchpilot170

Wentworth Salvage Co.

Post by butchpilot170 »

Bought my 170A from Wentworth Salvage Co. and got some bad surprises ! They took the gear legs off to move it to a storage locker and kept the attach bolts and one of the expensive axle nuts after they put some junk tires on it . They kept the wing attach bolts after dismantling them . They kept many other fasteners and I have no reason why they would do that to a customer. I practically begged them to return said items and got the run a round . I wanted to buy a lower cowl for my 170A and I would have had to take a second mortgage to do that ! Has anybody else had a bad experience with them ? the ButchPilot !
Last edited by butchpilot170 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c170b53

Re: Wentworth Salvage Co.

Post by c170b53 »

Well I wouldn't get too upset myself as hardware should be replaced on a regular basis and if there's been "action" then there's an even better reason to replace the stuff that keeps it all together. The bolts holding the gear in ; there's only one if it hadn't been changed in 15 years, it's time.
As for their prices, everyone and I mean just about everyone plays the 30-40 % off the Cessna price and that's a price that seems to be in a word stupid.
I would want the axle nut if it was there if I won the bid. If you can prove it I'd be asking them for one and I would think they have them.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

I'm quite sure the hardware that wasn't given with the parts was very new . I base this thought on the condition of all other hardware that I did get . I'm pretty sure it's up to the discretion of the new owner and his IA to make the call to use or replace such things . First you have to have them to do that . I'm sure it's going to cost me a couple hundred dollars to buy new ones . I guess I could contact the previous owner to verify what happened here . Thx for your input , the ButchPilot ! PS , I guess you can tell I'm very shocked and disappointed with Wentworth's way of operating !
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

All I know about Wentworth is that they aren't cheap.

Need axle nuts? I bought a bag of them at the Fly Mart at OSH two years ago. I'll be happy to send you a couple. Send me a PM with your mailing address. That goes for anyone else, too, until my supply runs out.
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

Thx Dave , I could really use two of these axle nuts to have a match ! I'm going to have to get a parts list to identify all the bolts ,nuts, and etc. that Wentworth made disappear . I have a dream that I'll receive a box in the mail with all my AN hardware from Wentworth with an apology letter for taking them .
canav8

Post by canav8 »

butchpilot170 wrote:Thx Dave , I could really use two of these axle nuts to have a match ! I'm going to have to get a parts list to identify all the bolts ,nuts, and etc. that Wentworth made disappear . I have a dream that I'll receive a box in the mail with all my AN hardware from Wentworth with an apology letter for taking them .
Butch pilot do not feel bad, Wentworth did you a favor. Do not buy old stock for the bolts you described except the axle nuts. As previously mentioned, all those bolts are life limited and should be replaced for new. That hardware is not that expensive and should be considered simple insurance, plain and simple. Wentworth knows it also because it carries liability thats why you didnt get them. Wentworth is a business that sells parts at a reasonable price compared to new Cessna parts prices. You may need to step up your financial game if you are going to stay with this. JMO, good luck. Doug
P.S. I have no affiliation with Wentworth other then they have helped me out a lot finding the parts I needed for my old airplanes. YMMV.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

butchpilot170 wrote:... PS , I guess you can tell I'm very shocked and disappointed with Wentworth's way of operating !
This is another "learning experience" for us all, I'm sure.

I'll go out on a limb and bet that, unless you have an inventory of your purchase,.... Wentworth has language in their sales-receipt that states words to the effect that the aircraft salvage is sold "as is, where is, without warranty as to fitness of purpose or merchantability"....and that "complete" is not within the language, ...meaning you have what you walked away with and they have your money. IF you walked away with less than what you thought was in the junk-pile then that's all you have. :?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

I won't bring this subject up again , rest assured !
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Butch, PM or email me through the forum. Send me your mailing address and I'll drop a couple of axle nuts in an envelope for you.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

https://www.preferredairparts.com
These guys were my favorites but I guess now you're best to go to the local boneyard or find the one closest to you as now the shipping companies are piling on. Somehow all those fuel surcharges have morphed into excess something charges.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

Hi again Dave ! On those axle nuts lets start with using my email address : butchgoedicke at hotmail dot com Thx !