credit card fraud protection vs AvGas pumps

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rydfly

credit card fraud protection vs AvGas pumps

Post by rydfly »

I encountered a situation this past weekend where the credit card I reserve strictly for fuel purchases was declined. When I called the card company, they said it was because the "fraud protection" safeguards had been triggered since I was attempting a purchase outside of my home state without prior notice of travel 8O They said I should call them prior to any "travel" so that they'll be aware and can temporarily allow out-of-state transactions during the time frame that I specify.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I live in Ohio and was only 100 miles away in Indiana. I frequently fuel up in neighboring states and this has never been a problem with this card before. Note that it used to be an "Air BP" Visa card, but changed to a general "BP" card a couple of years ago. I stopped using my the Visa from my credit union for fuel purchases years ago because of similar troubles. In all cases, the card companies claim they can't modify their fraud protection systems to allow unlimited use, even if I'm willing to accept such risk (clearly they aren't!).

So aside from calling all of my credit card companies prior to any X/C flights, does anyone have an opinion or experience of a better option (no, I'm not paying cash!). Is there any credit card out there that's friendly to a General Aviation lifestyle where out-of-state travel to random destinations is the norm? What's everyone else using?
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: credit card fraud protection vs AvGas pumps

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I use my regular old Visa card for all purchases, even aircraft fuel. I've not had any problems. And I don't frequently travel outside my area so you would think a trip to Indiana or Arizona would trigger something. You would think a card from a fueling company would have a wider range.

While annoying I would rather have my card declined in an abundance of caution of fraud than have to replace the card. I would never assume responsibility for fraudulent use of any card I have no matter how careful I was with it. To easy for someone to get that number and charge thousands before I would know it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

I have had that happen to me several times in the past, when traveling.
I rarely call the credit card company before traveling, and don't yet understand why some travel triggers their system, and some travel doesn't.

It is annoying, but I have had two occasions where my card actually was compromised and had false charges. One of these occasions, the credit card company actually figured it out. I guess I am glad they are trying to pay attention.

It is the reason I always carry two credit cards. Hopefully both will not get shut off at the same time.......
Ragwing S/N 18073
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm pretty sure the credit card companies have developed a sophisticated algorithm based on more than distance though distance may weigh heavily. For example thieves quite often test the water with a small purchase often for less than $5 to see if the card is still active. Then they will slam the card till it is deactivated.

Part of that algorithm probably has something to do with could the card holder reasonably travel from their base to the point of sale. For example if my card based in PA was charged in TX for $5 and they could not see anyway I'd have traveled there such as airline tickets or purchases of gas over several days travel, may trigger it. Or I may use my card in PA to buy gas at 8 AM and 30 minutes later someone tries to use my card in CA to buy a pack of gum or anything really, would likely indicate fraud somehow.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

rydfly wrote:... In all cases, the card companies claim they can't modify their fraud protection systems to allow unlimited use, even if I'm willing to accept such risk (clearly they aren't!). ...
I suspect this is because if your card does get compromised, it's them that's out, not you. :wink:

The first time I had this happen it was with an AOPA credit card on the way home from the Galveston Convention. It was declined because I had two fuel purchases 400 miles apart (BOTH in Texas) in a 4-hour time span. Evidently the rules don't change even when the largest general aviation association on the planet sponsors the card. They did say when I called (after I got home) that if the card is ever declined you can immediately call the 800 number on the back of the card, verify that it is you attempting the transaction, and the card will be accepted. Three years later I found that to be true, at least with a Capital One card.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Get a better card company.
Mine will trigger on out of state travel but they won't block the purchase. They will call me after to verify the purchase.
If it was stolen, they will overnight me a new card or I can get one at ant Navy Federal office.
KG

Post by KG »

I regularly use an America Express card with no problems. As an airline guy, I travel cross county every day so I guess they have figured that out. I can buy breakfast in LA, lunch in New York, and dinner in Chicago and somehow it knows it's me. I have tried to notify them of travel that isn't in my normal pattern.... international vacations for example.... and they told me they know where I'm traveling. I suspect from using the card to purchase tickets and reserve hotels.

I used a Bank of America Visa on my first fuel stop passing through Canada a few years ago. I swiped the card, started pulling out the fuel hose, and my phone started ringing. It was the bank asking if I was trying to buy gas in Canada. They said I should have notified them.

I also use a Citi visa (Costco branded) the same way with no issues. I buy gas for the airplane everywhere I go with it without notifying them. No problems so far but it might be because my normal pattern is to travel to multiple states every week.

Twice in the last year my visa debit card issued by a credit union was compromised and they caught it. I recently got a call early one morning asking me if I were attempting to charge $1000 in Boston. I was in Tennessee at the time. They said they had already blocked it before they spoke to me and it immediately had several additional small charge attempts, apparently as a test. All were blocked. My card was cancelled and re-issued.

I don't know how they do it but both American Express and Visa have been 100% accurate with figuring out if it is me or not.
Last edited by KG on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
53 170B
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I have BankAmericaCard Visa and when I travel to the convention and/or Oshkosh I have never had a problem. I do have LifeLock as a protector and they will notify if a problem arises.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

This is great reading.

Technology on the GA wing..

Two fuel purchases 4 hours apart in same STATE. Ding

Swipes card pulls out pump hose, phone starts ringing, "Are you trying to buy gas in CANADA?" Ding

It is not going to stop. Underscores increasing need for protective oversight.

May we hear more?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Grady, I agree this is great stuff!
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

In the past, I have had my credit card turned off a few times randomly while flying cross-continent trips, usually when buying gas. In each case I have called the number on the back of the card and it was turned back on immediately without any issues. I always thank them for watching out for my account. The last time it happened was several years ago.

Now, I think the credit card company tracks my position by purchases and as long as all of the charges meet the criteria indicating I could reasonably make the purchases nothing happens. I do not call and tell them when I am going to make a trip except when I am going to leave the country and fly thru another country. And I have told them I make frequent long trips in small planes and fly commercially between Alaska and Texas regularly. A few months ago I was on a long trip and got a call from fraud protection asking if I was trying to buy gas in Baltimore. I told them I was in Colorado flying a C185 from Georgia to California and was not buying gas in Baltimore and thanked them for the call. They declined the Baltimore charges and there have been no further fraudulent charges. So far the system has worked well. I also check my account online every few days just to make sure all the charges are mine.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like there is no "perfect" solution. Ironically, not even 2 hours after my original post, I got a call from card services regarding a different Visa my wife and I frequently use... someone was attempting to buy about $200 worth of stuff from a Walmart in Indianapolis (200 miles away). They declined it and shut down the card.
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
rickyricky2

Post by rickyricky2 »

My brother told me that his credit card company called him one night to verify a $500 purchase. He told them that it was his wife using the card, but thanks for the heads up on the new camera his wife would be giving him for his birthday.

Dick Bryant
N2704C
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Mine is AOPA through bank of america, had it declined several times but almost before the person behind the counter can tell me that it's declined they are calling my cell to verify the purchase. I can live with that kind of inconvenience. As someone else mentioned my wife's card, Chase I think it is, sends her texts so she just replies and it's back on instantly.

It is strange how the lock down is triggered....About 99% of my travel is in the Little Rock, AR area, thus the large majority of my purchases are in this area, the last declined purchase was in Little Rock....When I took the trip to Indiana for the Convention, not one blocked purchase.

Justin
My playground....
35°58’52.01” N 93°06’27.51” W
'54 170B White and Green with a hint of Red
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aryana wrote:Wells Embargo, I mean Fargo sends me texts to verify charges which they think are fraudulent before they shut off the card.

There have been many instances gambling in Las Vegas where they don't bother with the texts and just shut it down causing me to spend 20 min on the phone with their fraud department before they will activate the card again.
Recent news stories prove that Wells Fargo should be experts in fraud. :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)