Our newly purchased 170.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

LToxvard

Our newly purchased 170.

Post by LToxvard »

Fun pic of our 1954 170B my lovely wife and I purchased three months ago. We fell on this aircraft by accident, I saw it on the ramp getting fuel at our local FBO. I went out to compliment the owner on what a beautiful airplane it was, and he said he was thinking of selling it, I told him we needed to talk and the rest is history. A very nicely restored airplane with very low times at a fair price, got to say we were at the right place at the right time. We have put about 25 hrs. on her since purchase, she is based in Longmont CO. three minutes from our house. Look forward to many adventures up and down the Rocky Mountains, along with a lot of trips up to Bozeman MT. to see our daughter.
Attachments
image.jpg
Ryan Smith

Re: Our newly purchased 170.

Post by Ryan Smith »

Stunning airplane. More pictures, please!

Congrats on your new acquisition.
LToxvard

Post by LToxvard »

Here she is in the hanger, my wife named her Deja Blue.
LToxvard

Post by LToxvard »

I apologize if the pics are not showing up, I am a wiz on state of the art navigation, forums, not so much.
cworman

Post by cworman »

It takes a little finagling sometimes on getting the right size. Still struggling with the forum thing myself. Welcome to the family. I see you will be going to Bozeman, Mt. My 170 is setting at Arlin's at Gallitin Field now getting ready for paint. Maybe we will cross flight paths there.

Looking forward to them pics.
cworman N2218B
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

WOW, a blue aeroplane , its looks great and please more pictures ,especially passing those red aeroplanes and those slow green ones. :lol:
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

That is one nice 170, it was for sale at OSH two years ago. I am pretty sure it is the same airplane.

If you do not know the history get in touch with the guy that did the work, he is pretty interesting to talk to, I think the owner at the time I looked at it was an younger airline pilot and he bought it off the guy that did the work who was a mechanic for Continental or United, same thing now, can't remember his name but his name is either Swedish or Norwegian or something along those lines, it was pretty funny when he told me how he hung the wings in a tree to paint them, (check for leaves and branches).

If memory serves me right, and If you do not know, the paint is the same paint that was used by Pan Am, NOS, it had seat parts from a B-737 and it would appear from talking to this gentleman that a lot of the hardware, interior panels, seats, etc all were airline items.

Please post some interior shots as this airplane is not your usual 170 a lot was done to it using good stuff, good job on finding that one. it was very nice for the money at the time I saw it .
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Great looking plane. Will be checking in for other pics when you get them posted.
LToxvard

Post by LToxvard »

It is the same airplane, it was two Swedish brothers that restored her, one worked for United and one worked for Continental and she does have a lot of Boeing interior parts, they did a wonderful job. They got the paint from Boeing, after Pan Am went belly up and canceled all pending orders, so they had plenty of Pan Am blue paint laying around. Got to spend the day with the two gents that restored her over a few beers in the hanger, a couple of weeks after we bought her. What great guys, I could listen to them for hours. Everything is well documented from the day it left the Cessna dealership at the old Denver Stapleton airport. It is probably the most balanced airplane I've ever flown.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

LToxvard wrote:It is the same airplane, it was two Swedish brothers that restored her, one worked for United and one worked for Continental and she does have a lot of Boeing interior parts, they did a wonderful job. They got the paint from Boeing, after Pan Am went belly up and canceled all pending orders, so they had plenty of Pan Am blue paint laying around. Got to spend the day with the two gents that restored her over a few beers in the hanger, a couple of weeks after we bought her. What great guys, I could listen to them for hours. Everything is well documented from the day it left the Cessna dealership at the old Denver Stapleton airport. It is probably the most balanced airplane I've ever flown.
The Boeing interior parts are intriguing to me. Any pictures?
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Shelf life is probably 36 months for paint for the big tin boys. Sealed dated paint is probably good forever but makes one wonder where all that unused airline paint ends up...would be a shame to throw it away.
Nice plane and bonus; you can sit on the fence when it comes to stated speed.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

LToxvard wrote: What great guys, I could listen to them for hours.
Lars and Hans. Did they tell you how Lars (or was it Hans?) tapped a big dent out of the spinner with a teaspoon? Took a few weeks of work in the evenings, sitting in front of the TV. Drove his wife crazy.
LToxvard wrote:It is probably the most balanced airplane I've ever flown.
Well, it IS a 170! :wink:
bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Very pretty! Look forward to seeing you and the 170 at Deming next year.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That IS a pretty shade of BLUE!

Bring it to convention next year in Deming, NM!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
LToxvard

Re: Our newly purchased 170

Post by LToxvard »

Sorry for not responding as of late, we have a hot air balloon as well as the 170, and we were busy with Albuqerque the first part of October. We have one other balloon event, down in south eastern Colorado, then some more free time to fly what we want when we want, but really is life all that bad as long as we are flying? Look forward to some downtime this winter to figure out how to post pics, but truly love all the vast experience all of our members have to draw on. A lot of questions I have had have I've been able to answer, just by going back and researching forums.