Defecting to another type

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Defecting to another type

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

My new PT-17
My new PT-17
A real ball to fly. And cheap.

Enjoy the aerial view.
My Horizon Hobbys UMX PT-17
My Horizon Hobbys UMX PT-17
Did I fool you?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Re: Defecting to another type

Post by johneeb »

Sure fooled me, so real looking.

Here is a project Bruce pose the Stearman with the 27 per-center being built on the west coast so they had the correct size relationship with each other and the ramp buildings.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
4583C

Post by 4583C »

I was suspicious as the paint looked too good! :lol:
Bruce Fenstermacher

In size the top wing span of the PT-17 is probably half that of Arash's 27% 170 elevator. Here is a photo from Horizon Hobbys site with a 1:1 human hand.
Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 8.30.36 AM.png
In terms dollars spent the at $99 the PT-17 cost (minus radio transmitter) compares to about 3 servos in the 170 project.

In terms of time spent and skill to build, there is no comparison. I clicked a buy it tag on the internet and entered my credit card number. 3 days later I did need a very dangerous and sharp kitchen knife to cut the packing tape on the box. And then I nearly exhausted myself pushing the bind button on my radio to link it to the PT-17. About the only skill required is that to regulate your breathing while waiting for 3 days for delivery so that one doesn't hyperventilate with excitement over the delivery of the new toy for the pile. There is no comparison to what Arash is doing.

Here is a link to Horizons PT-17 flight demo.

https://youtu.be/nZKcknkNpPI

This demo is flown in a hanger. But make no mistake, this airplane can be flown out doors and that is where I fly it. Last night I was flying (more hovering really) in a 7 mph wind.

If you where in the hobby 25 years ago and left it and have now returned. These store bought ready to go planes from China are a wonder. However Arash's project is more in line with a moon launch and my effort barely equates to folding a paper airplane, the later requiring some skill.

My camera skills however are pretty slick. :wink:

Bruce Fenstermacher

Aryana wrote:I was totally fooled!! Love it.

Aren't these Horizon bind n fly scale models great Bruce?
Yes they are for the most part. My first one was a P-40. It does not fly so well. The CG is to critical. I new better than to buy a war bird as they generally where not known to be the most stable aircraft in 1:1 scale and smaller models of them are even worse. But I just could not resist the shark teeth. Even though it doesn't fly as well as I like I've actually not been able to destroy it try as I might.

Everyone I think has flown the HH Champ. And there is no doubt it is a keeper. How ever I was looking for more. I wanted ailerons and a aircraft more capable in the roll department. I flew the Cub and thought I'd buy one of those but then got a chance to fly the PT-17. I think it edges out the Cub, specially after you increase the aileron through for better roll performance.

To tell the truth I wish I could turn of the AS3X. It might have helped keep the P-40 in the air but it also cause lots of issues as well. It is not so bad in the PT-17 but does occasionally cause some goofy maneuvers. If you come out of the top of a loop without enough speed it will do an aileron and rudder maneuver and flip up right over the top. I see this because I like to fly at what I persevere to be scale speed. Pulling out of a stall turn is always abrupt at the bottom as well but I might be able to tune that somewhat with some expo in the elevator allowing. I also need to tune the elevator for inverted flight. I tend to push to much elevator causing the plane to climb and slow down and aileron authority suffers.

Incredible how I'm talking about trimming a $99 Foamy from China.

Bruce Fenstermacher

I was thinking I needed a Pitts. I need so many things though. Looking at a DLG (that is discus launch glider) http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_i ... cts_id=212 and or maybe an Alula-
Trek http://dream-flight.com/products/alula-trek

And one of these days I know I'll get a new model helicopter to show these 3D guys how it's really flown. :lol: