Drone Day

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Drone Day

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Aryana wrote:I just loathe the term "drone" which has become the catch all name for every pilotless aircraft.
I've come to hate the term "drone" as well. Most people have no idea what vehicles the term encompasses.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Aryana wrote:It makes my skin crawl when people see my 27% project and call it a drone. :roll:
Wait until it's finished and folks ask if it's an ARF.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Pretty sweet drone. :wink:
FredM

Post by FredM »

When does drone season start? I can shoot them down for target practice if they are in my airspace, right?
Fred L. Mahan
51 C170A N1289D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Fred, what airspace is it exactly you think you own?

FredM

Post by FredM »

I was kidding of course but I was thinking about the airspace over your property up to 400 ft, where your idiot neighbors would likely use to spy on you. They do make a drone that can capture another drone with a net. I am sure that would be cost prohibitive though. I am sure there will be plenty drone/property owner conflicts.
Fred L. Mahan
51 C170A N1289D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Fred, I'd like to shoot down a spying drone as well. Problem is, you don't own any airspace, not even that 400 ft.

I think a potato cannon would be more appropriate though a net shot from one might not worry the neighbors as much. If it came down to it, riding the sky of a spying drone, I'd probably just launch my own drone on a ramming mission.

johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Bruce,
Maybe the nucleus of a TV show here, a flying version of "Battlebots"! :wink:
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

http://www.gnatusa.com

But drone, they mean RC foamy but you still get to shoot something.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

hilltop170 wrote:Well George, what did you tell LCRA?
I told them "Yes, of course". I was glad they asked, and I impressed upon the caller (an administrative non-pilot) the importance of the notification and request, since airplanes operate here.
The drone-pilot later called and offered for me to "come out and watch" but I've seen 'em before and had better things to do, so I politely thanked him and only said, "We'll see."
I sat in front of the television and ate bacon and eggs. :P
Aryana wrote:I just loathe the term "drone" which has become the catch all name for every pilotless aircraft.
Yes. It's a misleading term. For instance, consider the Asiana flight that arrived at SFO....
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:?.......what airspace is it exactly you think you own?
The following was in an article about a woman shooting down a drone in Virginia.

For now, American law does not recognize the concept of aerial trespass. But as the consumer drone age has taken flight, legal scholars have increasingly wondered about this situation. The best case-law on the issue dates back to 1946, long before inexpensive consumer drones were technically feasible. That year, the Supreme Court ruled in a case known as United States v. Causby that a farmer in North Carolina could assert property rights up to 83 feet in the air.
In that case, American military aircraft were flying above his farm, disturbing his sleep and upsetting his chickens. As such, the court found he was owed compensation. However, the same decision also specifically mentioned a "minimum safe altitude of flight" at 500 feet—leaving the zone between 83 and 500 feet as a legal gray area. "The landowner owns at least as much of the space above the ground as he can occupy or use in connection with the land," the court concluded.

Last year, a pilot in Stanislaus County, California, filed a small claims lawsuit against a neighbor who shot down his drone and won. However, it is not clear whether the pilot managed to collect. Similarly, a case ensued in Kentucky after a man shot down a drone that he believed was flying above his property. The shooter in that case, William Merideth, was cleared of local charges, including wanton endangerment.

But earlier this year, the Kentucky drone's pilot, David Boggs, filed a lawsuit asking a federal court in Louisville to make a legal determination as to whether his drone’s flight constituted trespassing. Boggs asked the court to rule that there was no trespass and that he is therefore entitled to damages of $1,500 for his destroyed drone. The case is still pending.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!