Wasps!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: Wasps!

Post by n2582d »

Wow Fred! Good thing you weren't flying at the time. A good reminder to put plastic brillo pads in the wing root air vents.

Here in the California foothills I have a huge problem with mud daber wasps in my shop. It doesn't help to be 100 ft. from a pond where they have easy access to mud. On the bright side they do not seem to be aggressive. It's the meat bees this time of year that will go after you.
Gary
170C

Post by 170C »

Keith, those Middle Tennessee wasps love C-170's :lol: I see your plane out there almost daily. Guess I need to go by and ck for wasp nest buildup. I have some wasp & hornet spray. Don't know if its safe on our planes or not. Funny, they have not been an issue in any of the hangars as far as I know. Keep up the fight :!: It won't be long before their nest building season will be over and/or you will get a hangar.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
KG

Post by KG »

Hi Frank... yes, feel free to drive by and see if the wasps are back. They've been around the right fuel drain. I tapped around it pretty vigorously today and no more came out so maybe I got them all. I thought about wasp spray but, not knowing what's in it, I was hesitant to spray it on the plane.

As for the other things... it's not mud daubers. A close look reveals some sort of egg cluster, as Richard said. I searched the internet and it looks very similar to pictures I found of moth eggs. I wiped them off with a paper towel and threw it away. Guess I need to give the plane a good bath.
53 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Wow! I can only imagine what a sting in the actual eyeball must be like!
I didn't know the eye could withstand that kind of injury. Your prognosis is good, I hope?

While peering into a window I was stung above the left eyebrow by a red wasp that took me down to my knees. I "grayed out" and couldn't see for several minutes as I knelt on the ground trying to stay conscious. It was 30 minutes before I felt good enough to get back into the plane and fly home.

Jamie and I keep Benedryl (good for severe allergic reactions, motion sickness, stings, Parkinsons and other diseases) in ALL our First Aid kits. It has come in handy for friends travelling or camping with us on several occasions. Only last week it probably saved a small dog that had a violent reaction to an insect bite. The small lap-dog suddenly began bleeding profusely from it's nose and wouldn't have lasted long. A long-distance call to an emergency vet recommended the antihistamine which worked within a few minutes.

Something to think about.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

gahorn wrote: Jamie and I keep Benedryl in ALL our First Aid kits. It has come in handy for friends travelling or camping with us on several occasions.
Really George. Interesting. It certainly isn't Jamie who has that effect on people your with. That leaves you. :? :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

"If the ladies don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

(That's a whole new red/green thang..heh?)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)