Places to visit in the Michigan UP?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Heflin

Places to visit in the Michigan UP?

Post by Heflin »

We have a game warden convention in Sault Ste Marie next summer. Instead of driving up I thought about flying. I'd probably land at ANJ and drive over to the Canadian side for the convention. I don't really know the particulars of taking the plane across the border.

Anyone have recommendations for neat places to see in that part of the world? I'm just an old Mississippi Delta boy so it doesn't take much to amuse me. I'd probably go up the east side of Lake Michigan and had planned a stop at Mackinac Island. I thought about flying west on the way home and down the west side of Lake Michigan, stopping at Oshkosh if Airventure is still happening. I'd love to fly in somewhere and do a little fishing in the UP.

Thanks,
Rob
ISAIAH 40:31
beaverbill

Re: Places to visit in the Michigan UP?

Post by beaverbill »

A good friend of mine flys out of Beaver Island, MI. I haven't been there yet, but it sounds like a great place to visit.
Bill
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soo_Locks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahquamenon_Falls

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island

If you run across anything else interesting, let me know. Karen and I are contemplating proposing a 170 Convention in that area. :wink:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

NOW you've gone and done it Miles. Put it in print. As good as done. 2018 Convention in someplace to be announced in the Michigan area hosted by Karen.

Will you be Karen's assistent Miles, or is host of one convention in your book enough?

For those who wouldn't know any better than Miles should, there is one thing you don't do in this organization. Mention the words "TIC170A", "convention", and "host", in the same paragraph and then seal the deal by associating it with your name. Gives me the willys just typing the last sentence

:lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: For those who wouldn't know any better than Miles should, there is one thing you don't do in this organization. Mention the words "TIC170A", "convention", and "host", in the same paragraph and then seal the deal by associating it with your name. Gives me the willys just typing the last sentence

Can't believe an old convention pro like Miles let that slip out.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
170C

Post by 170C »

As we get more mature :lol: we sometimes tend to let things going on in our minds slip out of our mouths or onto forums, etc. Maybe that is what has happened to Miles. Retirement can do that to some folks. However if Miles and Karen are glutton for punishment (again) I think a convention in upper Michigan would be super. Based on their last convention I am sure another one would be just as nice :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bat443

Post by bat443 »

Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore in Munising a couple of hours drive west of the Soo. There is a grass airport south of town but don't know about transportation. It is a must to take the boat tour. The Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre in Sault Ste Marie, ON. And a personal favorite, a fresh Whitefish dinner at Wilcox Fisheries located about 10 miles west of Brimley on the shore of Lake Superior, caught in the morning, dinner that evening.

If you visit Tahquamenon Falls, which if you have time you should, you may also want to visit the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Pt north of Paradise as you will be driving though Paradise on your way to the falls.

If you go home though Wisconsin there is a excellent railroad museum in Green Bay.

All most all if not all of the ports have charter fishing trips for trout and salmon on the Great Lakes.
You could fly into Newberry, check on a car as I don't know about transportation, and be 32 miles from the mouth of the Two Hearted River, one of the top 10 trout streams in the US. Guided fishing trips on the Two Hearted are available.

So if you tell me how many days you want to spend, I can give you something to do on all of them.

Tim
Heflin

Post by Heflin »

Thanks, fellas!
ISAIAH 40:31
cessna170bdriver

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:NOW you've gone and done it Miles. Put it in print. As good as done. 2018 Convention in someplace to be announced in the Michigan area hosted by Karen.

Will you be Karen's assistent Miles, or is host of one convention in your book enough?

For those who wouldn't know any better than Miles should, there is one thing you don't do in this organization. Mention the words "TIC170A", "convention", and "host", in the same paragraph and then seal the deal by associating it with your name. Gives me the willys just typing the last sentence

Actually Karen and I did discuss this before I opened my mouth. She was heavily involved in pulling off the 2004 convention right along with me, and seems to be excited about doing another one. Dale Faux had made noises about Lakeland again (1978 and 1998, so why not 2018?), but was having issues getting the airport on board again. He says the Lakeland idea isn't dead yet, but what he (and I) would really like to see is for someone to step up and do the 2018 Convention in Wichita, it being the 70th anniversary of the 170, and the 50th 170 Convention. Anyway it goes, we ARE looking at northern Michigan sometime this decade. Sounds like Tim just volunteered to help too! :twisted:
Miles

— Thomas Browne
ddr36d

Post by ddr36d »

The Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre (http://www.bushplane.com) in Sault Ste. Marie, ON is a must see. It is in the old Ontario Provincial Air Service hangar on the Saint Mary's river. I was there last week with my 12 year old grandson. We were on our way home from my camp in Ontario with the 180 floatplane so all we had to do was tie up at the dock & walk in. Also if you like to camp, the Recreational Aviation Foundation (http://www.theraf.org) has recently received approval from the MI DNR to open the airstrip on North Fox Island. They had a working weekend there in June & have the strip open. It is located southwest of Beaver Island in Lake Michigan. I'm based at Home Acres Sky Ranch, Lake City, MI (Y91) & you're welcome to stop in. Give me a call 231-499-3974
Don
bat443

Post by bat443 »

Sorry Miles, just not a convention type of guy. Only an association member for access to the outstanding technical expertise and data not available anywhere else.

Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Heflin wrote:We have a game warden convention in Sault Ste Marie next summer. Instead of driving up I thought about flying. I'd probably land at ANJ and drive over to the Canadian side for the convention. I don't really know the particulars of taking the plane across the border. .... I'm just an old Mississippi Delta boy so....

Thanks,
Rob
You Mississippi boys should be reminded to leave your pistols on the U.S. side if you go over into Canada.... :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Meanwhile in the southeast lower peninsula:
image.jpeg
Miles

— Thomas Browne