Is it ok to laminate an aircraft registraion card?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

Is it ok to laminate an aircraft registraion card?

Post by nippaero »

Just like the title says. Is it ok to laminate the paper FAA registration card? Or for that matter the airworthiness paper? Someone once told me that would be like modifying them and not permitted. Seems like a good way to preserve them from being torn or damaged.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
GAHorn

Re: Is it ok to laminate an aircraft registraion card?

Post by GAHorn »

You're not modifying them. You're preserving them. (But the guvmint is funny about such things. Did you know that if you allow cellophane tape to cover over any portion of a U.S. Postage Stamp... it invalidates the stamp and the letter will not be delivered?) :?

Keep the docs in a clear, plastic document holder and they'll survive just fine. IF they deteriorate, a replacement is a simple matter.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Thanks George. I'm looking forward to my new airtex panels. They will have a nice little spot for them to go so they wont get damaged.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You're welcome.

Besides.... if you laminate them they will always appear just-issued.... instead of gaining a fine yellowed-patina appropriate to a classic airplane.

(PS: Type up your Equipment List on parchment paper.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Unlaminated documents would not raise questions. Duplicates can be gotten but it's not so easy or convenient depending on your location and that of your local FSDO. I wouldn't send the documents through the mail which requires a visit to the FSDO. That can be a frustration all it's own.

And yes I have personal experience getting duplicates. Two stories actually but only one I can tell to protect a few good guys who once worked for the FAA. Oh for the good old days.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com