What do I buy

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Togaflyer

What do I buy

Post by Togaflyer »

Im new to flying conventional gear. Just got signed off in a Citabria, which I like flying. I have also been looking at the 170B, which I like the utility of that airplane. Is the 170 the same size as a 172. Im 6'4 and 225 lbs on a good day, would I be comfortable in a 170. I fit in the Citabria fine. How is the maintenance on the 170's. Any parts issues or got ya's. What should a buyer look for on the 170's. Your expertise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
c170b53

Re: What do I buy

Post by c170b53 »

The most expensive well maintained aircraft that you can afford. :wink:
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I think what Jim wanted to say is, should you decide to buy any airplane, buy the most expensive well maintained example you can. It will pay off.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Togaflyer wrote: Is the 170 the same size as a 172.

Im 6'4 and 225 lbs on a good day, would I be comfortable in a 170.

How is the maintenance on the 170's.

Any parts issues or got ya's.

What should a buyer look for on the 170's.
The 170 and 172 are the same.

You will find differences in fit because of seats and upholstery. You might fit fine in one and not another because the seats are stuffed to tall for example. Lots of people your size and bigger comfortably fly a 170.

Maintenance is better or worse than a 172 to perform. The frequency of maintenance is the same as a 172 as well.

If you are comparing parts availability between a new in production Citabria and a 65 year old long out of production 170, there will be no comparison. Everything should be available for the Citabria, somethings you have to look for, and maybe for a while for a 170. Money is usually the limiting factor. The more money you have the easier it is to find some of the rarer parts. Everything can be found.

What should you look for? See my interpretation of Jim's answer. There is no mystery to 170s any more than a 60 year old 172. Buy the best maintained which is usually the most expensive example you can afford. Read this forum. Ask more specific questions when you think of them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Togaflyer, I'm 6'4" and 265 lbs and I fit into my '52 B model (with stock seats) fine. That's one of the reasons I chose the 170. I used to fly a '77 172 and my 170B has as much leg and head room as the 172. In fact, I need to move the seat forward. However, the cockpit of the 170B is slightly narrower than the "77 172. There is a little less space between the seats and a little less elbow room at the doors (about the width of the arm rest on the 172). My left elbow just touches the inside of the door. Not a big deal and I don't even notice it now. All in all, I consider it comfortable for a big guy like me.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

See the PM sent to you
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

The 170:
-has classic design that is very desirable
-is a taildragger, enough said!
-has 4 seats and will legitimately carry 4 adults.
-is under-priced for what you get
-is economical: maintenance is reasonable and it uses 7-8gph
-is all metal, 60+year old examples look as good or better than the day they were built
-there are several engine conversions available for whatever your intended mission happens to be
-stock versions will fly at 115mph all day long.
-they are very comfortable on long trips
-visibility is unsurpassed in fixed wing airplanes
-can be found in any condition depending on what you want, from basket case to award winner
-etc, etc, etc
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The 170 is the predecessor to the 172. A 170-B is virtually the exact same airplane as an early 172 except it's on conventional gear. This allows you to walk away from successful landings with a more sophisticated swagger and makes lesser tricycle-pilots and all the girls look at you with great envy.
Geezers in the café will smile upon you and nod approvingly. Cadets fresh out of the Academy will bring you their dates to meet you.
You do not want a trike.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
LToxvard

Post by LToxvard »

I just bought my 170B two months ago, I am 6.1, but if I sit on a solid surface I am 39" from my keester to the top of my head, "my plane has 737 seat cushion's", and on a long flight I feel a little fatigue in my lower back due to headroom, but I feel that can be easily rectified with a back support from Sporty's. I think upper body length is the important dimension, as you can adjust for leg room. But I got to say I have flown a lot of different fixed wing aircraft,and own and fly a hot air balloon,and I often get asked what aircraft I like flying the most. My answer has always been what ever aircraft I am flying at the time. That has since changed, words can't describe how much I love flying my 170.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

gahorn wrote:The 170 is the predecessor to the 172. A 170-B is virtually the exact same airplane as an early 172 except it's on conventional gear. This allows you to walk away from successful landings with a more sophisticated swagger and makes lesser tricycle-pilots and all the girls look at you with great envy.
Geezers in the café will smile upon you and nod approvingly. Cadets fresh out of the Academy will bring you their dates to meet you.
You do not want a trike.
Great post, I enjoyed that, George!

It's great to see new folks posting, to get Geezer advice!
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

gahorn wrote:The 170 is the predecessor to the 172. A 170-B is virtually the exact same airplane as an early 172 except it's on conventional gear. This allows you to walk away from successful landings with a more sophisticated swagger and makes lesser tricycle-pilots and all the girls look at you with great envy.
You do not want a trike.
I thought that was great. :D
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The maintainence on a C-!70 is waaayyyy easier than on a C-172 simply because there is no hydraulic strut on the tail wheel.
BL
Togaflyer

Post by Togaflyer »

Thanks all for your input. I think I will start keeping a look out for a clean 170B model. What I can afford is what the wife will let me spend :)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Unfortunately I have a heap of experiences with American champion aircraft .The newer ones have a corrosion issue in the tubular frame just under the small cargo door. The seats are not the most comfortable for long flights . The earlier ones fitted with the O-320 engine had issues with the engine. This was mainly due to people doing aerobatics in them and over rev-ing the engine and the engine loosing oil pressure when upside down. I could go on but won't. Oh ,one very large point is that my wife had to sit behind me and she couldn't teach me how to navigate . [Or tell me where she thought I should be ] :lol: