Garmin G5 STC'd for Certified Aircraft

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

brianm

Re: Garmin G5 STC'd for Certified Aircraft

Post by brianm »

Metal Master wrote:Please note that the Sandia Quattro 340 is for a STANDBY use only. That requires that all of your primary instrument be retained.
The following is directly off of Aircraft Spruces web site.
The SAI 340 Quattro is Four-In-One standby instrument that gives you precision Airspeed, Attitude, Altitude and Slip indications,
The G5 is certified as a Primary Attitude indicator. So is the Dynon AVIONICS EFIS-D10A.
The TSO for the Sandia Quattro 340 is as a Standby instrument.
On the other hand, the FAQ on SAI's own website (http://sandia.aero/product/sai-340-quattro/) says it can replace a vacuum instrument per AC91-75 and PC-ACE-23-08.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Email from Sandia wrote: Hi David,
My name is Barry and I will help you on that question. We do market the SAI340 as a primary unit. When we started the process the FAA had not issued the FAA Policy indicating you could use a like the SAI340 as a Primary indicator. We are actively searching out customers to inform them of this great opportunity to switch out the Horizon Indicator and possible vacuum pump all under a minor Log Book entry.

I have attached our copy of the TSO and the FAA Policy memo, just in case you do not have. What are you flying ?

With Best Regards,
Barry LeBlanc
SANDIA Aerospace
It can replace the horizon and it does conform to the listed TSOs (which Garmin does not).

TSO-C2d C2d Airspeed Instruments Type B
TSO-C3e C3e Turn and Slip Instruments
TSO-C4c C4c Bank and Pitch Instruments
TSO-C10b C10b Aircraft Altimeter, Pressure Actuated, Sensitive Type
TSO-C113 C113 Airborne Multipurpose Electronic Displays
TSO-C201 C201 Attitude and Heading Reference Systems (AHRS) (A5 HX T7)
DO-347 Certification Test Guidance for Small and Medium Sized Rechargeable Lithium Batteries and Battery Systems
DO-178C, Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification
DO-160, Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

bagarre wrote:
Email from Sandia wrote: Hi David,
My name is Barry and I will help you on that question. We do market the SAI340 as a primary unit. When we started the process the FAA had not issued the FAA Policy indicating you could use a like the SAI340 as a Primary indicator. We are actively searching out customers to inform them of this great opportunity to switch out the Horizon Indicator and possible vacuum pump all under a minor Log Book entry.

I have attached our copy of the TSO and the FAA Policy memo, just in case you do not have. What are you flying ?

With Best Regards,
Barry LeBlanc
SANDIA Aerospace
This is a Good Thing,
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm wondering if the confusion doesn't stem from the definitions of "primary", "secondary", and the requirement for a second attitude source for certificated aircraft. I don't think "primary" deletes the requirement for a secondary.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

I like that G5 a lot. It's expensive but it packs so many nice goodies into the existing instrument hole. I wonder if it would be able to fit into the later B model panel with just the overlay modified.

Add a EI CGR-30 and that would be the ultimate combo in my opinion.

That is exactly what I am doing. I've had my CGR-30 on order for about a month. They told me it would ship out this week. I couldn't pass up the rebates EI have going on. Once I get my motor back on the plane I plan on ordering G5.

Jim,

Thanks for posting your experience. I saw in the manual that is had to be hard mounted. Do you have any pictures of what you were talking about regarding the interference with the furthest left shock mount?
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

nippaero wrote:........ Once I get my motor back on the plane I plan on ordering G5.....
Will you also be installing an engine for that motor to rotate for start? :twisted:

(I'm joking around again, of course. One of the outlandish teasings which went continuously on at my old workplace was when we'd get an Air Force type who would colloquially refer to the engine as a "motor".... and you'll also notice how Jud uses AF jargon when he refers to the "jet" instead of the airplane or aircraft. I first became amused at this AF vocabulary when checking out a fellow SWA B737 classmate in my Cessna 206. I'd just handed the controls over to him and out of habit, he proudly announced to me: "I have the Jet!"

:lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Apparently they've finally added the 170 to the list of eligible aircraft:

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/EA ... 386-1.html
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

As usual, they left out the C-195.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Asleep at the switch again; actually the approval I linked to above is for the Dynon EFIS, not the Garmin G5... :oops:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Thanks Miles I didn't realize that the Dynon stuff could be installed. Is there an EFIS/ GPS moving map that could be installed along the same lines or is that big buck territory?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

c170b53 wrote:Thanks Miles I didn't realize that the Dynon stuff could be installed. Is there an EFIS/ GPS moving map that could be installed along the same lines or is that big buck territory?
An EFIS may be a tall order since these are all being installed under NORSEE rules, but the moving map isn't. Guardian Avionics makes a really neat Ipad dock that can be installed under a minor change (they have the approval letter on their website). With that dock you can use an Ipad and any of the popular moving map apps and have a state of the art, fully updated, touchscreen moving map in your panel for only a few hundred dollars. Life is good!

DEM
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Thanks Dem, I've been getting by with a wife IPad dock but the Dynon sky view is something that looks more appealing than what the boss has been holding. Hope the ball gets rolling on a lot more stuff.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Hi just noticed this week that they have enabled HSI capabilities on the G5 STC. I haven't dug int all the details yet because I have been out of town on vacation with the family but I was excited to see it. Has anyone else looked into the details?
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
Pdogace

Post by Pdogace »

Just got back from sun n fun and talked to Garmin about the gtx 345 ads b transponder and the G5. The only way the HSI is certified is, it has to be a separate unit. So you have to buy one for attitude and one for a HSI. He said there was no hope for a all in one STC anytime soon because the FAA and red tape. The only way the Feds signed off on the seperate HSI is due to vacuume pump failures. I applaud the Feds in moving in the right direction but common since still eludes them at times.
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

The two G5 units are about 5 grand and replace your Horizon, Directional Gyro, Magnetic Compass and CDI for VFR or IFR flight.
You can swap functionality between the units in case one happens to fail.

That's still cheaper than buying all those separate instruments new and the vacuum system to drive the AI and DG.