WD-40

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ron74887

WD-40

Post by ron74887 »

read this this Interesting

WD-40 WAS USED FOR LUBRICATING MISSILES

WD-40 is most commonly used to protect metal implements from moisture and to loosen tight screws. Around 80% of US households own a can of the stuff, according to the latest census, Adweek reported.

However, originally, WD-40 was used for lubricating (thankfully unused) nuclear missiles during the Cold War era. WD-40 was created by a small San Diego company called Rocket Chemical and its retail name is an abbreviation for "water displacement, 40th attempt," according to Cracked.

Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
170C

Re: WD-40

Post by 170C »

And George uses some of it in his wash water to wash his plane :roll: Probably why his RED 170 is so slow :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

It wasn't to lubricate the missiles per'se but as a light corrosion prevention that could be sprayed on the aluminum skins and not affect electrical components. The original ACF-50, I guess.

On bare metal - non polished airplanes, it makes a great wash liquid. No spots and you refresh your corrosion treatment each time.

I had a garden sprayer full it and used to blow it into 81D's wings and tail each time I washed her. BUT, Leesburg airport has made it illegal to wash a plane on the field due to the harmful chemical known as 'soap' so I'm not about to drag out a pressurized vessel of highly flammable liquid and start spraying :( ^^ True story, KJYO does not allow aircraft to be soap and water washed on the field.
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

I used WD40 at Johnson Creek last summer to free up a stuck exhaust valve while performing a partial rope trick. Don't leave home without it!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

WD40 was designed to DISPLACE WATER. It kept the electronics dry. The absence of water helped stop corrosion naturally but that was not it's design purpose.

David, many many airports do not allow aircraft washing thanks to the EPA, not just the one your aware of. I laugh every time it rains and all the rain water washes through all the aircraft on the ramp. And I roll my eyes at the crazyness every time a bit of fuel is spilled fueling which is about every time we fuel our helicopter as the fuel tank burps fuel back out the inlet. And lets not forget our fuel controls that have an acceptable fuel drip rate of not more than 10 drops per minute for two minutes after the engines been running for a minute. It can and sometimes does drip faster than that before the engine starts and for the first minute.

We actually wash our helicopter on the roof helipad of our hospital on the 14th floor. The hospital hasn't figured out what the EPA knows. The wash water is probably drained down to the street and into the storm sewer. :roll:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Of course all that rainwater running off our asphalt streets isn't a problem :roll:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Late summer I will see white sudsy (soap) on the asphalt roadway at traffic lights. Usually after a rain occurring after a hot dry spell.

I just had to know what this phenomena was all about.

Learned that it was about soap. Most of the automotive oils are detergent type and that is A.K. as Soap. No WD 40.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C