First Flight

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KS170A

First Flight

Post by KS170A »

Took my step daughter up for her first flight lesson, in the 170 of course. She's still smiling after the flight, so I'm thinking she's hooked!
Attachments
IMG_7641.JPG
--Josh
1950 170A
cessna170bdriver

Re: First Flight

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Great news Josh! Not all will agree, but I think the 170 would make a good primary trainer, in the hands of the right instructor of course.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
48rwflyboy

Post by 48rwflyboy »

Excellent! While the 170 is so very easy to fly, the footwork required on taxi, takeoff and landing needing braking methods being ever so gentle just might make a better primary tailwheel trainer than say a Decathalon or Citabria which is just too easy and few lessons learned. Crosswind landings with the 170 can also be a challenge due to large wing area but with the big rudder and one-wheel (main) down approach and with the proper instructor, this can be an advantage to new pilots learning their footwork which must be learned or poor results are guaranteed. I agree with cessna170bdriver that it could be a great trainer.
Last edited by 48rwflyboy on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Awesome! My biggest regret was not being able to get my private in 56D. I'll be getting my commercial in her, though. :D