Minor Glitch Repair

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Re: Minor Glitch Repair

Post by c170b53 »

Has the paint lifted and cracked or is the skin really cracked ?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Frank if you would like to maintain a perfect airplane, this is not a minor glitch. Once the skin has been creased or stretched, there is no good repair. You either straighten it out as best you can and let it go, put a patch on it or replace the skin. :( a lot of our old planes out there have boo boos on the trailing edges, most of the time ya just grin and bear it.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Wow, what kind of buggy was that, a grocery store shopping cart?
170C

Post by 170C »

This was a regular baby buggy! I think the part that hit my elevator was plastic, but it had a pretty good speed due to the wind.
The paint is cracked, not the metal. I used a technique a fellow pilot suggested and managed to get the area back to its proper condition (mostly). I will sand the cracked paint and touch it up. This will have no effect on performance, just a bit of cosmetic damage. Thanks for the suggestions.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This should be encouragement to all of us to get identification from those who should be held for such behavior.
If someone were to be contrary, explain that an inspection, ferry permit, and repair might be a lot more than they expect if you charge them with disabling the aircraft with the authorities.

You're too nice, Frank.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)