Mixing it up with nose draggers

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jmurtap

Mixing it up with nose draggers

Post by jmurtap »

I attended and completed Cessnas 2 Oshkosh formation training. Aircraft ranged from 210,177,172 and a lonesome 170. The class was headed up by Dave a Textron test pilot, former B2, and current Christan Eagle pilot. Whom was also my saftey pilot for the sorties. The clinics ground school was very informative and geared towards C2OSH mass arrival, but the basics and different operations were discussed. First up was two ship formations, and the last sortie was a three ship close formations with 90, 180 degree turns inside and outside, move to trail, recover and crossovers. Then trail to landing, given the winds were 26g35 they put me as ship 3 last to land and on the numbers. Everything went great all the pilots involved did a fantastic job, and us newbies caught on quick with the guidance of our saftey pilots.

Overall this was a fantastic experience! I would rate it at one of the top coolest things I've done or seen in aviation. There is just something magical about that aircraft or 2 hanging in the window. I think most of the guys tailwheel jealousy subsided once the winds picked up.
Last edited by jmurtap on Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

48rwflyboy

Re: Mixing it up with nose draggers

Post by 48rwflyboy »

Great post and well written! Scary winds to deal with. Looking forward to Osh16 this year and seeing that formation flight. Thanks for taking time to share.