Do you sometimes "Float" a landing?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Do you sometimes "Float" a landing?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Turn on to final approach and like the professional pilot that you are determined to "arrive on the numbers with the numbers"

Then when in the runway envvironment A/C wants to float and float and float. Why? I was not coming in hot.

Happens to the big guys too.

A380 Vancouver BC 05-16-2016

see link (deleted due to obscene content)
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Metal Master

Re: Do you sometimes "Float" a landing?

Post by Metal Master »

The following is an excerpt from my previous flight notes in 170A N1208D with the new TCM IO-360 engine and constant speed prop.. The landing prior to this earlier in the day at Arlington was similar.
Crossed over the ridge line east of Tiger Mountain and started a cruise descent to Auburn with a plan to cross the ridge north of the field towards the towers at 1500 ft. MSL. 145 MPH descent had to bring the power back a little to keep from getting to far into the yellow arc. 45 to downwind to 3-4, 30 ◦ Flap landing pillow soft landing 3 point with no excessive back pressure. Trim set for no load on the controls. Still I ballooned up a little after touch down, I think I am flying the airplane further back in the CG envelope than where I usually flew it before and with the few landings I have done with the airplane it just wants to fly at that CG with the higher angle of attack and the 180 gear. Taxied off to the fuel service and filled the tanks to check fuel burn. 21 gallons exactly about 4 gallons more than expected.
My observation with the new engine:
• The airplane has more forward cg than I normally flew it in the past. Previously I was usually in the utility area of the CG chart. I am now right in the middle of the Normal CG range.
• I am landing in the three point attitude but I am still too fast at touchdown.
• The airplane is in ground affect. I could be flying slower. It is not fully stalled.
• If I were floating (I am Not) I would still be too fast at touch down. These things don’t just happen, I allow them to happen. Or cause them to happen
• I need more practice flying the airplane in its new configuration!
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

MoonlightVFR wrote:Turn on to final approach and like the professional pilot that you are determined to "arrive on the numbers with the numbers"

Then when in the runway envvironment A/C wants to float and float and float. Why? I was not coming in hot.

Happens to the big guys too.

A380 Vancouver BC 05-16-2016

see link deleted due to obscene content
Never happens to me. Well there was that one spot landing contest. Oh and that other spot landing contest. And .....
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I've found that when I find myself in a float, if I gently roll forward on the yoke it results in the most beautifully smooth wheel landing.....ummm-ummm, just like I intended. :)

Seriously though, it does work and allows you to get some drag on the ground or get on the brakes to start slowing down if you are running short of runway or afraid of a wind gust.

DEM
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

flyboy122 wrote:I've found that when I find myself in a float, if I gently roll forward on the yoke it results in the most beautifully smooth wheel landing.....ummm-ummm, just like I intended. :)

I believe that would just about be described how to set up a wheel landing. Although in the 140A I found I could perform a wheel or three point attitude at any speed based on my pitch attitude the 170A not so much.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!