1948 fuel selector valve

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kurt Aichele

1948 fuel selector valve

Post by Kurt Aichele »

Below is a posting from 2012 that was posted by George referring to a 48 fuel selector. He refers to an article he wrote about the replacement of the valve in the "170 News". Are these available on the forums for members? I have to rebuild/replace my leaking fuel valve on the 48 170, serial 18118 and I would like to refer to this article.

Re: Rebuilding 1948 fuel selector
Postby gahorn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:30 am

First of all...STOP trying to move the valve if it is getting rough or troublesome, or you may damage it beyond repair.
It is composed of a conical rotating plug inside a brass/bronze body and will "score" and be damaged if it is forced.

Drain your airplane fuel system and remove the valve. (You will have to disconnect the operating universal-drive-shaft from the "cone". Remove the "cone" from the body by unscrewing the large nut which surrounds the shaft, and then pulling the cone out of the body.
Clean up the valve parts, and if necessary, use fine valve-lapping compound to re-seat the cone. Clean thoroughly and lubricate with EZ Lube or Parker Fuel Lube (fuel proof greases) and reassemble.

If you are careful you can save/re-use the "packing gland" or you can use an appropriately sized O-ring (Viton or nitrile) to reseal it.

Reinstall it.

NOw, beware: The 48 model used two differing locations for that valve. The one early serial (before 18574) placed it beneath the cockpit/flap-tunnel, while the later serials had it beneath the instrument panel. If you're lucky, you have a late serial.
If you have the early serial, removing the valve is not too difficult, but reinstalling it will result in scratches, bruises, and a new vocabulary. (See last years's "The 170 News" article I wrote about this project for further information, but you'll figure it out...just be patient.)

Hope this helps.
Kurt Aichele

Re: 1948 fuel selector valve

Post by Kurt Aichele »

Thanks Arash.