Floats that look just like EDO's

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dunlaps3

Floats that look just like EDO's

Post by dunlaps3 »

I know this isn't a 170 question , but I am trying to help a friend....... Is there an STC that allows CAP 2000 floats on a PA-18 ? He got the Cub from Canada and it was approved there. The Super Cub group is not very helpful on this one. I am sure there are PA-18 on CAP floats here in USA. Do any of you guys know of any?
Andrew
n2582d

Re: Floats that look just like EDO's

Post by n2582d »

dunlaps3 wrote:Is there an STC that allows CAP 2000 floats on a PA-18 ?
Andrew, According to this powerpoint presentation CAP 2000's have a Canadian STC for the Piper Super Cub PA-18S and PA-18AS. The only CAP STC in the FAA's data base is this one for the CAP 3000 on the C-180. If this Super Cub was imported from Canada shouldn't a conformity inspection when the aircraft gets it's US airworthiness certificate include approval for the STC'ed floats? This document might help in getting that approval. I'm sure we have members here who have gone through this approval process. Another example C-170 owners might be more familiar with is the Wing X wingtip extension. It is approved in Canada but not in the US although FAA approval has been expected "in the near future" for at least the last 15 years. So you cannot buy the Wing X kit to install on your American registered aircraft. But if you bought a Canadian C-170 which had this STC installed (or a PA-18S with CAP floats installed under a Canadian STC) and imported into the US I think the FAA should approve it because of bilateral agreements they have with Transport Canada.
Gary