Northwest Regional (52F) Based Members?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Northwest Regional (52F) Based Members?

Post by Ryan Smith »

Good evening guys,

On a suggestion from Rusty Morris this afternoon, I rode over to Northwest Regional Airport (52F) in Roanoke, TX this afternoon for a visit. After being informed that I was not supposed to cross the runway in a vehicle, I drove around through the hangar rows to check out the place, and happened upon N2352D, a 1952 B model. The owner is not a current TIC170A member, and the airplane looks to have been sitting for several months. The guy that I talked to was the assistant manager, of sorts, and said that there were quite a few Cessna 170s based there. None of the others were in a T-hangar, but given the sheer number of hangars and airplanes based there, I figure there is a pretty good chance that there are a couple members based there.

Texas has been great, so far. I've enjoyed getting to know both Rusty Morris and Steve Jacobson, as well as getting a chance to oogle their airplanes. They set the bar really high for sure!

After threatening to move to Texas a year ago, or so, I have recently taken a full-time position with the company with whom I had been a contractor, and I am working full-time for BNSF railroad. There is a group of 8 pilots, and BNSF wants to relocate us to the DFW area because of the anticipated growth in the program. Having family in both Dallas and Shreveport, Louisiana, this is a fairly easy transition for my wife and I. I have been here since April 5, and leave next Friday for North Carolina for ten days before heading out in the field again. I'd love to meet as many 170 folks as I can. I wish I could venture out a little more, but part of my duties while in DFW for the time being necessitate that I be on call 24/7 to dispatch to any service interruptions that may arise. Otherwise, I'd be on day trips down south giving George more gray hair, in Fredericksburg eating German food, and Toledo Bend catching catfish and drinking beer. :P
cessna170bdriver

Re: Northwest Regional (52F) Based Members?

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Ryan, Northwest Regional is home of Vans Air Force (BUNCH of RV's there), and Glo Custom paint shop, producer of some of the snazziest paint jobs you'll ever see on an airplane. And a little ways southwest, opposite Alliance, is Hicks field, where you should find Jay Pratt, a RV/Super Cub/Cessna 180 guy who is a hoot to talk to. There are decent restaurants on both airports, too.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

So you have meet Steve Jacobson and seen his plane. I haven't meet Rusty or seen his plane but to say Steve's sets the bar pretty high is a sever understatement. Steve's a great guy as well.

So did you really go visit George or was that just a threat to do so?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:So you have meet Steve Jacobson and seen his plane. I haven't meet Rusty or seen his plane but to say Steve's sets the bar pretty high is a sever understatement. Steve's a great guy as well.

So did you really go visit George or was that just a threat to do so?
Just a threat, unfortunately. I have to be at Alliance-Ft. Worth within one hour of getting called, so that precludes me from being able to venture out too far of the metroplex. I'd love to visit Gary Hansen and Richard Pulley as well.

Rusty's airplane is nothing short of amazing. It has one small defect that you wouldn't know unless you were told, but it's been so well preserved that some of the paint on the airplane is original to 1955, and the glass and interior are original as well. Short of an engine overhaul, 1400 hours of polishing, and a few trim touchups, the airplane hasn't been restored (nor does it need to be)...which is unreal for an airplane with 3,000 hours that is 61 years old. My family's airplane looked like garbage on its second interior and a paint job in 1986. It's simply phenomenal to me the difference a little care makes when owning something. Rusty's 172 is not much different...only he's owned it since the early 1970s.

Both Rusty and Steve are amazing people, as well as Charlie Beyer and Larry Cranton (both of whom got the full brunt of my enthusiasm for these airplanes and were great hosts for my extended stays in their respective areas). I really am fired up to make it to a Convention one of these days. I just don't know which one that will be.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Ryan-
When I read your post I was thinking you were leaving today, 4/29. If you are not leaving until 5/6, we may very well be able to meet. I usually go up to Dallas every week or so to visit my mom and am planning to go up Tuesday or Wednesday. If those days work for you, let's plan lunch or dinner. I have wheels in Dallas and can meet wherever.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Ryan Smith wrote:[. I really am fired up to make it to a Convention one of these days. I just don't know which one that will be.
Ryan
The question isn't which "One" you will attend. The question is which will be your first one to attend. Convention attendance is close to being an addictive behavior for those enamored with the Cessna 170. I'm only forty or so miles west of Alliance and know a few good places to eat in the area.
170C

Post by 170C »

Paul, guess you better take Ryan to one of Babe's places and/or Joe T Garcia's.

Ryan, if you drive over to Hicks you will find a ton of interesting airplanes of vrs types. Well worth the trip as is NW Regional. If you should meet Jay Pratt tell him I told you to say hello.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

hilltop170 wrote:Ryan-
When I read your post I was thinking you were leaving today, 4/29. If you are not leaving until 5/6, we may very well be able to meet. I usually go up to Dallas every week or so to visit my mom and am planning to go up Tuesday or Wednesday. If those days work for you, let's plan lunch or dinner. I have wheels in Dallas and can meet wherever.
Hi Richard,

I thought that perhaps you had made the trip up to Alaska for the summer, but it looks like Jack Fleetwood got some pictures of your 195 at Llano a few days ago. Dinner would work best for me...I'm generally available after 4PM most days. I'll PM my phone number as it's not the same as the one in the directory.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

170C wrote:Paul, guess you better take Ryan to one of Babe's places and/or Joe T Garcia's.

Ryan, if you drive over to Hicks you will find a ton of interesting airplanes of vrs types. Well worth the trip as is NW Regional. If you should meet Jay Pratt tell him I told you to say hello.
Hicks is about 5-10 minutes from the apartment that my company leases for us, and about 10-15 minutes from NW Regional. One of my managers keeps his P35 at Hicks, and I spent a couple hours visiting with Rusty not long after I got here. I ran into him yesterday evening when I was cruising around, and I also met Bruce Conner and his son. Not sure if Bruce is a member...he has a pretty '53 and is a reformed Bonanza driver. He's a retired airline captain, and his son flies for American Eagle now.

Hicks is a nice place. I'm shocked at how many hangars and airplanes are at both places. I understand that 52F is due for a pretty substantial facelift in the near future. It's a little rustic, but so is my home field too.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Catching up on News...
Sorry I missed you Ryan! If you move to Texas you won't be disappointed in the airport scenes around the state. Hicks is a good field, so is Spinks, and Cleburne has Saturday pancake breakfasts, is 20 miles down south, not to mention all the guys out at Pecan Plantation.
We've got a fly in at Caddo Mills on Aug 13 planned, (catfish) Yum!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)