Door and Window Weatherstripping

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

drewsey4516

Door and Window Weatherstripping

Post by drewsey4516 »

I am rebuilding and painting the doors and windows on my '53 170B . Does anyone know a source for the original rubber weatherstripping? It is held in place with a crimped bead on the door edge. Thanks, Mike Stahlman
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Door and Window Weatherstripping

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The original door seal design that looks like a V with one leg being held to the door by the crimped strips and the other being pressed up against the fuselage door opening., is not available. Wish it was, it is the best design in my opinion.

Others have tried other seals with varying degrees of success. The best seal has to be thin enough to fit in the tight spaces and there is plenty of that, yet fat enough to fill the gap found in many areas of 170 doors. You just won't bet the original seal.

I'll try to find the threads here that mention those seals available today that others have had success with.

This thread mentions a seal from Brown which I think may be the best option today.

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... al#p103605
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
drewsey4516

Post by drewsey4516 »

Thanks very much for the information Bruce. I will check out Brown Aircraft. Mike
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The key is a soft pliable material. The smaller P molding seems to work the best. I've used a free to me slightly larger P to fill the gaps and slit the P to cause more flexibility in these areas that were tight.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com