Hello from Boston

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rusbac

Hello from Boston

Post by rusbac »

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd stop by and introduce myself. I'm a fairly new private pilot flying out of Norwood, MA (OWD) and hoping to own a 170 in the very near future. I'm currently working on my tailwheel endorsement in a J3 Cub. Would love to connect with any owners in the area (MA, RI, CT and beyond) as I've yet to see a 170 up close and personal.

Enjoy!
Christine
Christine in Boston
N2481D - '52 170B
gfeher

Re: Hello from Boston

Post by gfeher »

Hi Christine,

I have a stock '52 170B that I fly out of Sterling, MA (3B3). Unfortunately, I may be a little hard to reach as I am in the process of moving to upstate NY in a couple of months. But feel free to try anyway and I'll make the effort to connect with you. You are making a good choice with the 170. It's a sweet plane. I bought mine about a year and a half ago and I've been thrilled with it. Also, you've made a good choice in connecting with this forum. If you are not a member already, you should join the association. It is money very well spent. There is a wealth if information available through the association.

Best of luck, Gene
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Hey Christine, good to see you here. As I predicted on Facebook, Gene stepped up with an offer if you can connect. My offer still stands should you make it to my area.

I see your getting you TW in a J-3. Good deal. You should know the J-3 is a bit easier than the 170 to handle as tail wheel aircraft go. The Cub being more responsive to just rudder input with the wheel on the ground than the 170 which requires differential breaking. All something I know you will be able to handle. As you can see from my signature, I also own a Cub.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rusbac

Post by rusbac »

Thanks Bruce and Gene,

I joined the 170 association and PayPal'd last week but haven't gotten a member number yet. I figured everyone must still be recovering from Sun 'N Fun.

Insurance wants me to have 5 hrs dual in a 170 before I can fly it solo and I'll probably want a bit more than that. However I'm really looking forward to it, tailwheel is like a whole new world of flying!
Christine in Boston
N2481D - '52 170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

All you had to do was ask. Your upgraded with a temp number till yours comes.

hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Welcome aboard Christine. Good luck in your search for a 170, good choice.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Well I would stick with the 170 for flight training [yes. I am biased] my experience with a cub was traumatic to say the least. Firstly the instructor sits in front of you and my instructor weighted over 125 kgs. I couldn't see the instruments . The fuel gauge was a stick that that used to protrude out of the cowl in front of you and throw fuel over you when in flight. After a hour in flight the engine oil was covering you and everything else. The aircraft took off at 60 kts , cruised at 60 kts, landed at at 60 kts and stalled at. 60 kts. I think the engine was a whopping 65 hp of fire breathing energy. This is the only aircraft I have ever ground looped with those HEEL brakes. Unknown to me at the time the torque tube at the rear cockpit position had broken and only sometimes deflected the ailerons . When in high speed flights [65 kts] there wasn't a great deal of control of the ailerons and the the instructor kept saying pick up the wing with the rudder. He then accused me of being very rusty with my flying . Things were going badly for me . The next poor student crashed this aircraft on takeoff but walked away. When no aerodynamic pressure the ailerons worked correctly on a preflight . There was a inquiry and the problems were exposed . My next aircraft for a tail wheel endorsement was a Super Decathlon 180hp. OMG what a difference . Then 1.5 hours in the 170 ,I was in heaven so easy to fly and what fun. It can do so many roles , sorry I am speaking to the converted .

125kgs equals 276 lbs.
Bruce Fenstermacher

So what your saying is you were flying an unairworthy over gross aircraft. And you survived.

SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Christine,

Just curious -
Are you working out of Norwood with the J3 or someplace like Mansfield or Taunton?
I guess what I am really fishing for is are you learning on hot top or grass as the learning
curve is a lot tougher on a hard surface with a cub in my opinion.
rusbac

Post by rusbac »

@SteveF - Good tip! I am actually doing my tailwheel training in Connecticut at KSNC. It's a long drive from home, but I have family there. Which makes the trip worthwhile even if we have to cancel for wind (like today). The runway is paved but there are several grass strips nearby where we do most of our practice.

@ghostflyer - Thank you for your concern. I'm very happy with the quality of the maintenance and instruction I'm getting in the Cub at this school. Flying from the back seat is definitely a new experience. I'd love to get some dual in a 170, but so far the closest rental I've found is 8hrs away and in Canada. :(
Christine in Boston
N2481D - '52 170B
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Christine, you're probably all set, but if you want to work on your tailwheel endorsement closer to Boston, Ed Urbanowski at Sterling (3B3) is very well respected. He has a Cub and a Citabria and I can vouch for him. I got my endorsement from him and did my 170 insurance dual with him. He's a great guy. Sterling has both a paved runway and parallel grass that's great for tailwheel.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

I don't know which side of Boston you live but Hampton airfield in NH up I-95 should be considered. Last year they paved the runway BUT left the grass strip on the side. They have 172, Cubs & Champs.
http://www.hamptonairfield.com/index.asp
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
Avee8or

Post by Avee8or »

Christine, Welcome! I am coming up on 1 year as an owner and enjoying it greatly. Based at Concord, NH and you have an open invitation to come up and fly. Best, Varel Freeman
Varel Freeman

170B N3211A
195 N195GW
PA31 N508Y
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Christine,

Gene is absolutely correct - if you decide to take lessons closer to Boston then Ed Urbanowski at Sterling (3B3) is fantastic. Have known him for 25 years and he has
been instructing in tailwheels for 40 years. He now also has a beautiful PT17 Stearman that he uses for instruction. I am letting a friend get his tailwheel endorsement in my
Champ so I am moving it to Sterling for the summer so he can work with Ed.
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

This is off topic on two counts. So apologies Christine. But the story behind Ed's Stearman is great. He trained in a Stearman 40 yrs ago at a local field. About 2 years or so ago he was looking for a Stearman to scratch his itch started 40 years ago. He found one in Florida. Turns out it was the same Stearman he trained and spent a lot of time in as a kid here in MA. Obviously he had to have it. It's a beautiful plane. Only had 1 or 2 hours on it since complete restoration when he bought It. Looks like it just came from the factory. He takes VERY good care of it.

Steve, I've never thanked you for the engine cover you left for me via Ed. Thanks. It's really appreciated. I love the fabric pattern. :D
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY