Parts Officially Obsoleted ?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Parts Officially Obsoleted ?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I was reading posts about oil pan woes and suddenly thought about Obsolescence declarations of original manufacturers.

Could one ever hope to purchase a factory new oil pan from Continental Motors Co?

Are there Cessna Airframe parts that have been officially factory obsoleted?

Are there key engine parts for C 145 and 0 300 that have been factory obsoleted?

I am curious
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
blueldr

Re: Parts Officially Obsoleted ?

Post by blueldr »

I don't believe that TCM any longer supports the O-300 engine with any exclusive parts.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Would be nice if they's open source the drawings and specs so that other's could pick up support for the motor.
mit

Post by mit »

you can get cylinders and cranks I think.
Tim
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

TCM is apparently still making cylinders since they're also common with other models of TCM engines. They supply a new crankshaft by using a plugged off TCM IO-360 crank. Pretty pricey!
BL
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I dropped my engine off at Premier Aircraft for a Major four weeks ago today, haven't heard a peep out of them yet, and I'm almost scared to call them to see if everything is serviceable. I've got my fingers crossed. It has only been majored once before, and at that major the crank was still standard, it got a new cam, lifters,and oil pump gears. Stressful nonetheless...

Joe
4518C
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

bagarre wrote:Would be nice if they's open source the drawings and specs so that other's could pick up support for the motor.
This is often accomplished through a FOI request, assuming the part(s)/assembly were ever used by the government. Drawings data is simpler/cheaper than reverse engineering, but there are still production issues which are most often related to investment vs demand.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I got enough courage to call Premier today, everything is looking good!! No corrosion in the sump, and even after 4300 hours on the crank it is still within "new" limits!!

Joe
4518C
mit

Post by mit »

Gear Legs are going to be needed soon.
Tim
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Gear legs are being made by PMA manufactures . How ever they are pricy . But the are lighter also .
mit

Post by mit »

ghostflyer wrote:Gear legs are being made by PMA manufactures . How ever they are pricy . But the are lighter also .

Care to post the manufacture if you are Talking about this?

http://www.thelandinggearworks.com/main-gear/

Not for 170 and I would like to see Cessna support the older stuff better with all parts....
Tim
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Is it really on Cessna to keep making parts for a 60 year old airplane?

Does Ford still sell parts for a 49 coupe?

I'm amazed we can find what we can for 60 year old machinery.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Aryana wrote:If anything I think Cessna will be thinning the herd of flying 170's as SIDS inspections uncover airframes that don't make financial sense to fix in the decades to come.

Combine that with the lack of new pilots and the attack on GA airports and it's only going to get harder in the years ahead to justify the investment required for them to continue to produce new parts at reasonable prices (or even make them at all...). :(
Give me an out by letting me put it in the Experimental category and I will never bad mouth the FAA again.
mit

Post by mit »

bagarre wrote:Is it really on Cessna to keep making parts for a 60 year old airplane?

I think Ford should support the 49 too..... Hell they don't even support my 1990 F250 much. I can get lots of parts for my 1996 Arctic Cat....

It isn't like they wouldn't pass the cost on to the consumer!
Tim
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

mit wrote:
bagarre wrote:Is it really on Cessna to keep making parts for a 60 year old airplane?

I think Ford should support the 49 too..... Hell they don't even support my 1990 F250 much. I can get lots of parts for my 1996 Arctic Cat....

It isn't like they wouldn't pass the cost on to the consumer!
In that case, they do pass the cost on to the consumer. You can still buy instrument bezels for $125 a piece from Cessna. If you pay TCM enough, I'm sure they would cast you a new sump.It'll probably cost more than a new motor but they'd do it.

What about all the pre-war stuff Cessna built? Should a company be required to support for ever everything they ever made?
There is simply no way a company could survive if it had to support manufactured equipment from 50 years ago.