Parts Officially Obsoleted ?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Re: Parts Officially Obsoleted ?

Post by bagarre »

Aryana wrote:If anything I think Cessna will be thinning the herd of flying 170's as SIDS inspections uncover airframes that don't make financial sense to fix in the decades to come.

Combine that with the lack of new pilots and the attack on GA airports and it's only going to get harder in the years ahead to justify the investment required for them to continue to produce new parts at reasonable prices (or even make them at all...). :(
Give me an out by letting me put it in the Experimental category and I will never bad mouth the FAA again.
mit

Post by mit »

bagarre wrote:Is it really on Cessna to keep making parts for a 60 year old airplane?

Does Ford still sell parts for a 49 coupe?

I'm amazed we can find what we can for 60 year old machinery.

I think Ford should support the 49 too..... Hell they don't even support my 1990 F250 much. I can get lots of parts for my 1996 Arctic Cat....

It isn't like they wouldn't pass the cost on to the consumer!
Tim
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

mit wrote:
bagarre wrote:Is it really on Cessna to keep making parts for a 60 year old airplane?

Does Ford still sell parts for a 49 coupe?

I'm amazed we can find what we can for 60 year old machinery.

I think Ford should support the 49 too..... Hell they don't even support my 1990 F250 much. I can get lots of parts for my 1996 Arctic Cat....

It isn't like they wouldn't pass the cost on to the consumer!
In that case, they do pass the cost on to the consumer. You can still buy instrument bezels for $125 a piece from Cessna. If you pay TCM enough, I'm sure they would cast you a new sump.It'll probably cost more than a new motor but they'd do it.

What about all the pre-war stuff Cessna built? Should a company be required to support for ever everything they ever made?
There is simply no way a company could survive if it had to support manufactured equipment from 50 years ago.